• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition delayed a few days on iOS because of a fatal bug

nickcv

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...t-today-on-pc-but-delayed-on-android-mac-ipad

edit: BGEE = Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

"iOS build had a game-stopper bug," Oster wrote on Twitter (via Modojo). "With current estimate for App Store approval, that puts us into next week. We're doing all we can."

The Android tablet build "is trailing iOS". "Our current crash is cross-platform," Oster added, "so the fixes are for all platforms. Legacy code bites again."

"We'll get Android done before Christmas," he announced. "The list of supported devices might be very Nvidia skewed though."

Mac OSX approvals are taking even longer than on iOS, "so it is hard to predict", he shrugged. "PC is only launch date we can control."

What about an iPhone build? BG:EE does work on the smartphone "but the buttons are simply too small to press", explained Oster. "Later we can re-UI."

seems like they did a great job with this one...

Dambrosi

Banned
Sounds more like a problem with legacy PC code incompatibilities than anything inherent to the iOS/Android environments, the "buttons are too small to press" bit notwithstanding.

But really, you should be playing Baldur's Gate on a PC anyway.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I didn't know this was coming to android! I just got a nexus 7, so I'll definitely have to check this out.

I'm ashamed to say that I've never played it.

x-Lundz-x

Sounds more like a problem with legacy PC code incompatibilities than anything inherent to the iOS/Android environments, the "buttons are too small to press" bit notwithstanding.

Already did back in the day. I want to take Baldur's Gate with me on the go this Christmas when I go out of town. I am really looking forward to this on the iPad. But these quotes have me think it's going to take longer than next week to get them fixed.

duckroll

Boy, he certainly wasn't kidding when he said that a potential PSN version which Sony wanted would have taken way more resources. They can't even get it working right on the existing platforms. Geez. Well, hopefully they eventually work out the problems, more people should be exposed to the games. This doesn't give me a ton of confidence in the dev though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Boy, he certainly wasn't kidding when he said that a potential PSN version which Sony wanted would have taken way more resources. They can't even get it working right on the existing platforms. Geez. Well, hopefully they eventually work out the problems, more people should be exposed to the games. This doesn't give me a ton of confidence in the dev though.

To be fair, this sort of thing is really not uncommon at all even in higher profile releases. The particular iOS bug I believe is specific to 1st generation iPads, and while it can crash the game, it didn't sound like something that occurred 100% of the time (and obviously not at all if you had a new iPad). Android development, well I imagine with the plethora of specs they have to account for is even more difficult.

It's actually nice to see the game delayed slightly to be fixed rather than released with an error... and they did already fix it and send up a new build to Apple for approval as well. Also, to be fair, the original games were not crash free either :)

Minsc

Gold Member
It works on none of the platforms except the one it already worked on.

Alright.

I really feel like this attitude is kinda a large exaggeration of a minor delay. The issue for the iPad release has already been fixed from what I read (not to say there aren't others), and it's in Apple's hands waiting to be released - same as for OS X (I don't even think there was an issue in that case, just that Apple takes their sweet time for approving products).

In fact, pretty much the entire reason for the delay at this point is that they are using other platforms that have review periods longer than well, nothing like on the PC.

If the PC version had an approval process of a few weeks to go through like iOS and OS X, it'd probably be delayed as well. Android doesn't, but it was added last, and presents entirely different problems, so it's not surprising that version is further behind.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does this mean the bugs are on the other versions only or that they don't mind releasing it broken on PC since noone needs to approve it there? Anyway, only way I'd try this is if it's got overwhelmingly positive reactions and goes down to ~$5 or they do a deal with gog that updates your existing purchase to this version, similar to Broken Sword and the DC. Tutu is just fine as it is.

Edit: scratch the gog thing, I don't own it there but via GG instead (Anthology, same as gog versions, has its icons in the folders).

Skilletor

No thanks. I'm going to play it on my tablet chillaxing on the couch.

Minsc

Gold Member
Does this mean the bugs are on the other versions only or that they don't mind releasing it broken on PC since noone needs to approve it there? Anyway, only way I'd try this is if it's got overwhelmingly positive reactions and goes down to ~$5 or they do a deal with gog that updates your existing purchase to this version, similar to Broken Sword and the DC. Tutu is just fine as it is.

The bug was specific to an iPad 1 from what I read, and that is the sole bug they've discussed afaik (and already fixed).

I really feel like this attitude is kinda a large exaggeration of a minor delay. The issue for the iPad release has already been fixed from what I read (not to say there aren't others), and it's in Apple's hands waiting to be released - same as for OS X (I don't even think there was an issue in that case, just that Apple takes their sweet time for approving products).

In fact, pretty much the entire reason for the delay at this point is that they are using other platforms that have review periods longer than well, nothing like on the PC.

If the PC version had an approval process of a few weeks to go through like iOS and OS X, it'd probably be delayed as well. Android doesn't, but it was added last, and presents entirely different problems, so it's not surprising that version is further behind.

It just seems like a huge oversight shortly before release. I'm not familiar with the development process but it struck me as something they should have fixed early on if it happens on every platform except the one it was originally built for. It might be unfair but it doesn't exactly instill any confidence.

Minsc

Gold Member
It just seems like a huge oversight shortly before release. I'm not familiar with the development process but it struck me as something they should have fixed early on if it happens on every platform except the one it was originally built for. It might be unfair but it doesn't exactly instill any confidence.

It doesn't, did you read what I wrote? The bug only occurred on a fraction of the devices on a single platform.

duckroll

To be fair, this sort of thing is really not uncommon at all even in higher profile releases. The particular iOS bug I believe is specific to 1st generation iPads, and while it can crash the game, it didn't sound like something that occurred 100% of the time (and obviously not at all if you had a new iPad). Android development, well I imagine with the plethora of specs they have to account for is even more difficult.

It's actually nice to see the game delayed slightly to be fixed rather than released with an error... and they did already fix it and send up a new build to Apple for approval as well. Also, to be fair, the original games were not crash free either :)

I guess it feels more problematic than it is because the game has been delayed before, so maybe it's a case of a really small dev having to cope with releasing the game on lots of different platforms. Either way, I hope they get stuff sorted out, because their intentions are certainly good.

Minsc

Gold Member
And as we all know you must gather your party before you can venture forth.

Lol, there may be other bugs, but the way this story is presenting old information (stuff about not supporting iPhone, etc) struck me the wrong way. OS X approval process taking longer than iOS is fairly well known as well, from what I've seen too. Like I said, afaik the reason for the delay on iPad was for a bug specific to the iPad 1. There could be more reasons I'm not aware of, but I feel like this story makes a lot of assumptions that were never really the case. PC version was really the only one I was aware as really launching today.

Looking at their update page for what I mean:

Overhaul Games is excited to announce that pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun ahead of final release on November 28th, 2012. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for PC is available exclusively through Beamdog, and can be purchased here.

They only specifically say the PC version is released on the 28th, and the graphics here also support that, especially with Android listed as just "TBA," where you'd think Android was supposed to release on the 28th from the article.

It doesn't, did you read what I wrote? The bug only occurred on a fraction of the devices on a single platform.

No, I missed your post about this affecting only the iPad 1. The OP gave me the impression that this was a bigger deal than it actually is.

Parallacs

And as we all know you must gather your party before you can venture forth.

You must gather your party before venturing forth

If I ever become a manchurian candidate sleeper agent, I think this would be the code to activate me.

Any word on reviews for the iPad version? I'd love to play this game on my couch. I've got a flight to Edmonton this weekend, was really looking forward to playing this on the way there and back grrrrrr

Top Bottom