• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

This might be heresy: but I would be so happy if someone made a "Look Up"/"Full Range Camera" mod. I'd be happy if it was just on the wide-open outdoor areas, where I'm guessing the "sky" model is already present or could be added with an encompassing skybox. Would go a long way because my limited imagination abilities keep me from being as fully immersed in the surroundings as in a first-person/full third-person camera game.

Probably tougher to add in a mod like that in the indoor areas where it's likely the ceilings aren't modeled.

Doing now second run on tactician (hard) difficulty, is not as hard as i tough it would be, especially if you can think outside of the box.
This game, like D:OS2 seems to have a negative difficulty curve. Been playing on Balanced, myself, and I had to restart my battles pretty often in the beginning with my guys missing half of their attacks. But once I leveled up enough for my melee fighters to have more than one action per turn and improved their accuracies, I started stomping and it became a lot more fun (to me). I'm guessing the difficulty will pick up again at some point--I'm in the beginning of Act II right now.

Guilty_AI

This might be heresy: but I would be so happy if someone made a "Look Up"/"Full Range Camera" mod. I'd be happy if it was just on the wide-open outdoor areas, where I'm guessing the "sky" model is already present or could be added with an encompassing skybox. Would go a long way because my limited imagination abilities keep me from being as fully immersed in the surroundings as in a first-person/full third-person camera game.
Someone did but as expected it bugs out the visuals.

This game, like D:OS2 seems to have a negative difficulty curve. Been playing on Balanced, myself, and I had to restart my battles pretty often in the beginning with my guys missing half of their attacks. But once I leveled up enough for my melee fighters to have more than one action per turn and improved their accuracies, I started stomping and it became a lot more fun (to me). I'm guessing the difficulty will pick up again at some point--I'm in the beginning of Act II right now.
I think it has more to do with learning the game systems. I also died a lot when i started playing DOS2, but subsequent runs felt fairly simple from the start.

Someone did but as expected it bugs out the visuals.
Ah, I hadn't considered the draw distance being limited. I'm hoping it's early days on that mod and maybe they'll work out the bugs.
I think it has more to do with learning the game systems. I also died a lot when i started playing DOS2, but subsequent runs felt fairly simple from the start.
I'd be curious to see how I do on a restart--I felt like I had a decent foundational knowledge since I'd played D:OS2 a while ago but maybe I was rusty.

Guilty_AI

I'd be curious to see how I do on a restart--I felt like I had a decent foundational knowledge since I'd played D:OS2 a while ago but maybe I was rusty.
Meta game is very different from DOS2. There you could carefully plan your moves, but in BG3 with all the dice rolling there needs to be some element of improvisation, as well as higher reliance on buffs and advantages. Not to mention your special abilities have much more limited use.

Meta game is very different from DOS2. There you could carefully plan your moves, but in BG3 with all the dice rolling there needs to be some element of improvisation, as well as higher reliance on buffs and advantages. Not to mention your special abilities have much more limited use.
At the level of competence and difficulty I play at, I mostly focus on:

-Using my highest-Spell Slot spells first (so Long Resting often)

-Focusing team fire on one enemy at a time, rather than spreading out damage across the enemy group. Not taking buffs/debuffs into consideration, an enemy will be just as capable whether they're at 100% or 1% HP, so seems like removing enemies from the board is priority #1

-Lately, I discovered I have a bunch of Speed potions built up, so I use those in conjunction with Bonus Actions/Extra Actions (forget what that's called for Fighters) for my two melee fighters. Feels awesome when you can do like 4 actions in a single player turn

-Reckless Attack for that accuracy bonus. My MC and Karlach are tanks, so they can usually withstand the Advantage against them

-Other priorities as the situation may warrant

Edit: Oh, and I just want to say, I'm very glad there is no HP vs Armor system in this game (or, at least, not yet). That felt frustrating more than fun in D:OS2.

Last edited:

anab0lic36

I'd love to know what % of people that are praising this game so highly have actually played BG2, because my experience with it thus far, is that its worse in pretty much every area that actually matters.

Pakoe

You seriously find the characters and writing in this game to be better? I'm going to be brutally honest here, the writing in BG3 is some of the worst I've seen in an RPG, like cringe level bad.
mass-effect-andromeda-my-face-is-tired.gif

I'm one of those people who has not played BG1, and played an hour of BG2 but bounced off it.

That's ok because I came into BG3 expecting Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that's what I'm getting. Yes, yes, I know it's not Divinity in a lot of ways, but that's my personal closest touchpoint.

The only time I cringed is when Shadowheart fell in love with me within Act I. Didn't seem earned by that point.

Last edited:

Isendurl

You seriously find the characters and writing in this game to be better? I'm going to be brutally honest here, the writing in BG3 is some of the worst I've seen in an RPG, like cringe level bad.
I think you need to play BG 2 again if that's really what you think, BG 2 is my favorite game of all time, but there is some really cringy stuff in it (just watch any romance dialog for example). In fact, writing was one of my main worries for BG 3 as I don't really like previous Larian games (mainly because writing in them is not my cup of tea), but so far, I'm really pleasantly surprised by consistency and quality of BG 3 writing.

Like, I don't understand how anyone can look at this and say this is the worst writing they ever saw -

It is little theatrical, but BG 1 and BG 2 were like that as well. Just from looking at this I can tell someone put a lot of thought and effort into the dialog and character writing and I say that as a person who also tried a bit of writing in the past.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

The game will be digital only on PS5 ? I was searching where to preorder it but I can't find. I'm ok with digital anyway but 79€ is a bit pricey imo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Game just gave me a blue screen of death. Only had two ever on this 3080 pc in all the years I’ve owned it…. Here’s hoping my save file is good. :/

Edit: save still good but cloud sync took ages .

Last edited:

Madonis

Not surprising in the least. That said, I imagine 80-90% of those players are all romancing her in a very standard heroic playthrough.

I'd like to know how many people are insane enough to attempt doing that while picking all the evil options, both in the main story and with her personal quest. It's...certainly something, I'll say.

amigastar

The game is really demanding (concentration wise) so i can't play it for more than 2 hour then i have to take a break and come back again.
There are for sure less taxing games out there.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Good to know there's more to her because i just attacked her as soon as i went into her house. No regrets.

Very annoying fight tho, the vixen.

Idk how to do spoiler tags but just know you can in act 1 go find her.

You can PM if you want to know what to do.

Mozzarella

I'm loving the combat a lot more now that im in Act 2, i get to unlock more abilities and spells, Fireball is sick af, and strong too.
Also blasting a group of enemies with lighting bolt after you drop the water spell on them is satisfying, it melts them, big burst.
I love the enemy variety so far, definitely a major improvement upon Divinity games.

I wish i picked something other than ranged, its decent but i feel there is more potential out there, well i guess thats for the 2nd playthrough.
Also the music in this game is great, so far its shaping up to be a masterpiece of RPG.

EDMIX

My first impressions a few hours in.

1. The create a character area is absolutely bat shit insane! The music is epic and I can see already it will be remembered for a lot of that as was titles like Oblivion.
  • What you look like, what you sound like and gender are all separate things...brilliant.
  • The race, subrace, classes, subclass, background etc this is so deep, one can spend literally hours going thru it (i did lol)
  • They did the hair amazing, especially for textured hair for people like myself, but i felt they could have done more, what they have now is fucking amazing, but more options would be nice (not all of us rock corn rolls people lol)
2. Controlling the character feels really good, those who dislike CRPGs based on top down or isometric need not fear, that is an option and you can zoom in to the point of playing it like any other 3rd person RPG or zoom out and play it like a top down isometric one. You can play it normally by clicking where you wish the character to move, you can use a controller and physically move them in real time too.

Will probably give more impressions when I've completed a playthrough. So far, I'm really loving it and happy I ignored the early access.

LE51x1k.jpg
hQBAdCG.jpg

Last edited:

Outlier

Been playing. Only Still in the beginning area solving the Druid problem...

This game is AMAZING!
So much detail and care went into making this feel like an organic experience. Choices actually matter and actions have consequences.

This seems like a passion project. There's just so many layers.

I played a it of Pathfinder: Kingmaker for a bit, but it didn't quite grab me like this. Also not a fan of the C-RPG combat, but this is fun and keeps me on my toes.

Just on the short experience I've had with it I can't wait to see what's coming.

FFXVI (haven't played it in WEEKS) is embarrassing, in comparison to the care and heart put into BG3.

StereoVsn

I'd love to know what % of people that are praising this game so highly have actually played BG2, because my experience with it thus far, is that its worse in pretty much every area that actually matters.
I have been playing BG1 and 2 (with expansions) pretty much since release and replay them every 2-3 years. They were my favorite RPG "trilogy" (if you count expansions) for last 20+ years.

I love BG3. It's an amazing game just because of so many ways to complete quests, character interactions, expansive environmenta, etc... Combat is also very competent... although D&D 5E is inferior to Pathfinder, IMO.

Anyways I am still in Act 1 and yeah, this game is a masterpiece (unless it drops off a hill in later acts).

geary

although D&D 5E is inferior to Pathfinder, IMO.
I'm kind interesting to know which are the differences between those 2 rulesets. Until now, the difference is with Bonus Actions in D&D5 and their type (throw, shove etc).

Also, if i am not mistaking, the new game from Owlcat, Rogue Trader is on a different ruleset as well.

Last edited:

mxbison

I'm loving the combat a lot more now that im in Act 2, i get to unlock more abilities and spells, Fireball is sick af, and strong too.
Also blasting a group of enemies with lighting bolt after you drop the water spell on them is satisfying, it melts them, big burst.
I love the enemy variety so far, definitely a major improvement upon Divinity games.

I wish i picked something other than ranged, its decent but i feel there is more potential out there, well i guess thats for the 2nd playthrough.
Also the music in this game is great, so far its shaping up to be a masterpiece of RPG.

Agree, the combat really picks up around Act 2. Way more options for damage, buffing, repositioning, crowd control, everything.

I'm about 10 hours into Act 2 and this game will probably end up in my Top 10 all-time unless it somehow drops in quality later on.

Fools idol

Banned
I found my first major bug in act 3! not bad for 100 hours of play to only encounter a single 'issue'. A quest giver has clipped outside of the cabin he is supposed to be standing in, and when I talked to him, my party were talking to an invisible, and the dialogue options just didn't appear. I reloaded the game and still not able to talk to him. Thankfuly it's a side content quest not a main one.

edit - ah... loaded a previous quick save from an hour ago and it seems to be fine now. Odd one.

Last edited:

calistan

I found my first major bug in act 3! not bad for 100 hours of play to only encounter a single 'issue'. A quest giver has clipped outside of the cabin he is supposed to be standing in, and when I talked to him, my party were talking to an invisible, and the dialogue options just didn't appear. I reloaded the game and still not able to talk to him. Thankfuly it's a side content quest not a main one.

edit - ah... loaded a previous quick save from an hour ago and it seems to be fine now. Odd one.
I've seen a couple of bugs in act 1.

- The elevator in the druids' grove, two of my party rode it to the top and the other two decided to take up residence in the wall behind it. Had to fast travel to get them out.
- Underneath the blighted village, I was getting aggro from a couple of spiders that were way off the screen, and disengaging from the fight didn't work. Even when I managed to get out of the area, it kept cutting back to the spiders, who were just standing still and saying "skitter". It was stuck in turn-based mode, so I had to send each character back to camp to fix that one.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I planned to play her by myself: So that's probably not the best idea?

Depends how much you care about picking the popular romance option I guess. You can still just romance someone else AS Shadowheart.

Top Bottom