• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That OT title change 😕
Yeah hard out.......people were complaining it was childish and in bad taste I think, I thought it was hilarious.

In other news, anyone know just how screwed the Xbox Series S is in terms of it coming to it? My son has one in his room, would love to play with him over the Interwebs, I think couch co-op would distract me too much lol (ADHD, self diagnosed lol).

what's the reason for this? although i dont expect much from the story bits of origin characters.

so will they lock out some playable options?
No, with Dark Urge the story pushes you toward certain decisions so it’s often not what you would have chosen naturally, so it’s more a guided experience than a custom character who’s free to choose what you would naturally do.
With the Origin characters they each have their own secrets. In a custom play through you discover them by interacting with them and through the plot, whereas if you play as them you will know them from the very beginning.

So the first playthrough, which is often the most memorable one, it’s best to discover everything through interactions with the game and the one where your choices are all your own.

Fools idol

Banned
I started a fresh run of PIllars 1 in anticipation for this. I forgot how fucking amazing the intro is to this game;

tingly feels man.

Draugoth

Gold Member
That OT title change 😕

images

Skifi28

Gold Member
In other news, anyone know just how screwed the Xbox Series S is in terms of it coming to it? My son has one in his room, would love to play with him over the Interwebs, I think couch co-op would distract me too much lol (ADHD, self diagnosed lol).
If it's coming to Xbox, it's coming to the S with all its features. I think it's more of a "when" question rather than "if".

Markio128

Gold Member
I hope this plays well on PS5 because I’m seriously looking forward to it. The Divinity games were awesome on console, so I’m fairly optimistic. I spent 200-300 hours on both, so I dread to think how many hours I’ll spend playing this one!

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
qey1riwj7it51.jpg

May I introduce... Geralt of Hobbitton.

I actually think an Eldrich Knight would work better for Geraldo here but pretty cool none theless, shows how good the character creator is.

Elemental cantrips you could bring out can be like the spells that Geralt knows, and the spells your can learn can fit pretty well xD

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Yeah hard out.......people were complaining it was childish and in bad taste I think, I thought it was hilarious.

It was funny as shit. Guessing those complaining were the new-age puritans on here crying 'degeneracy' about the bear stuff.

Doom85

qey1riwj7it51.jpg

May I introduce... Geralt of Hobbitton.

I actually think an Eldrich Knight would work better for Geraldo here but pretty cool none theless, shows how good the character creator is.

Elemental cantrips you could bring out can be like the spells that Geralt knows, and the spells your can learn can fit pretty well xD

Ranger does get a bit disrespected by some of the D&D fanbase.

Youtuber XP to Level 3 put it best: “look, it’s not the most optimal class by a long shot, but people who don’t want to play it purely because they don’t think the class is cool in any way, YOU CAN SHOOT LIGHTNING ARROWS FROM YOUR BOW! That is objectively cool!”

naguanatak

I dug out my 'old' PC (i5 2500k, gtx970, 8gb ram) and logged into steam for the first time in over 5 years. Tested early access briefly. The game runs ok, but since they have cross save I can continue once the ps5 version is out.

I'm not a fan of turn based combat, over the years I tested various games and always ended up disliking it.
But all I have seen about the game, the setting, lore, characters, the game world and interactions is begging me to give it a chance. So I did and I want to take it slow and really enjoy this over a long time (firstborn is coming this November, so I will have less time to play. I'll stick to Baldurs Gate 3, Starfield and Diablo 2 Resurrected)

Furthermore I have absolutely no idea about DnD, its rules, possibilities etc.
Is there a good written guide or (explanation) video for someone like me who has no idea about the vocabulary and abbreviations used, the rules of dice rolls etc just to ease the beginning for me?
I don't want to learn everything before really digging in and I don't know if there is some ingame guide or journal that explains everything for DnD noobs like me. Tested early access for about an hour, will put a dozen or two hours in before release just to familiarize myself, but yeah...feeling a bit overwhelmed (in a positive way) and wanted to get input from the veterans where to start. This seems to be a very special game.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
(firstborn is coming this November, so I will have less time to play.

you say that but I also assumed the same and once baby arrived I found myself with a lot more time; just at unusual hours. I was playing Wasteland 3 at 4 in the morning between bottle feeds. lol

naguanatak

you say that but I also assumed the same and once baby arrived I found myself with a lot more time; just at unusual hours. I was playing Wasteland 3 at 4 in the morning between bottle feeds. lol
At 4 in the morning I'm doing cardio before heading off to work. But I hope you're right :messenger_winking:
I hear that in the beginning, when they're just helpless babies there is enough time for oneself because they basically just sleep assuming it's not a screamer :messenger_face_screaming:
Once she is older I actually want to put in the time and be there so I have to scale down my gaming time. Here's hoping she comes after me reagarding video games :messenger_sunglasses:

Another question on topic:
I'm leaning towards playing a monk come release. As I understand it, monks can't wear armor at all. Does that mean I'm going to play the whole game (100+hours) in the same outfit?

acidagfc

At 4 in the morning I'm doing cardio before heading off to work. But I hope you're right :messenger_winking:
I hear that in the beginning, when they're just helpless babies there is enough time for oneself because they basically just sleep assuming it's not a screamer :messenger_face_screaming:
Once she is older I actually want to put in the time and be there so I have to scale down my gaming time. Here's hoping she comes after me reagarding video games :messenger_sunglasses:

I'm leaning towards playing a monk come release. As I understand it, monks can't wear armor at all. Does that mean I'm going to play the whole game (100+hours) in the same outfit?
Apparently there are clothing options that are not considered armor, allowing monks to benefit from their unarmored proficiency, while still getting some bonuses, and I presume new looks.

naguanatak

Apparently there are clothing options that are not considered armor, allowing monks to benefit from their unarmored proficiency, while still getting some bonuses, and I presume new looks.
That sounds good. Didn't know if there were other cosmetic options than just armor. Nice, monk it is as a first character then (y)

My daughter just turned 1, and it’s true, in the beginning they mostly sleep, and I did have some free time even though they wake up at weird times in the night. Now I basically get an hour of gaming in a day at most because she’s awake most of the day and she requires constant supervision because she has learned to walk and climb.

Fools idol

Banned
My daughter just turned 1, and it’s true, in the beginning they mostly sleep, and I did have some free time even though they wake up at weird times in the night. Now I basically get an hour of gaming in a day at most because she’s awake most of the day and she requires constant supervision because she has learned to walk and climb.
my kid is 4 now and were currently playing 2-3 hours a day of Zelda TOTK which she loves, and then when she goes to bed around 7pm I chill with my wife for a few hours then play games usually from 9pm-1 or 2 am if I dont have client meetings in the morning. Its pretty good tbh.

Once BG3 is out I expect to play maybe 4 hours a day until I complete it.. so will take a while
😅

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Sony paid Larian to 'delay' the Xbox version saying it's due to the S, so Sony could have a big temp exclusive game to come out the same day as Xbox Starfield. Just wait, a month or two after Starfield launches the S version will magically be ready.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sony paid Larian to 'delay' the Xbox version saying it's due to the S, so Sony could have a big temp exclusive game to come out the same day as Xbox Starfield. Just wait, a month or two after Starfield launches the S version will magically be ready.
You don't seriously believe that do you?

Gorgon

Larian has stated that they are having support from MS engineers to try to overcome the problem. Don't you think that if this was false MS would have denied it already?

Guilty_AI

Of course, it's the same day as Starfield on XSX. Early Access adopters of BG3 get it on Aug 3 (which has been playable on Steam and the Deck for a few years now....and which I have). But it seems to coincindental to not be a thing.
Have you ever considered the possibility of them choosing this coincindental date because it could boost the ps5 version sales?

Luipadre

Gold Member
Any sites with cheaper keys for this, thats a steam key and not gog? Dont mind paying 60 tho just wanted to know

Draugoth

Gold Member
Any sites with cheaper keys for this, thats a steam key and not gog? Dont mind paying 60 tho just wanted to know

Likely only after release.

I would still recomemnd buying on Steam because the Free Deluxe upgrade is already a $30 saving.

Guilty_AI

Never played baldurs gate or divinity sin and I want play this on my own. Am I mad ?
I wouldn't go in completely blind as there is some learning curve, though the game does try to make things easier for you.

Still, 100% worth it, you're not mad.

Xbox sent engineers to help get in running.

But I'm not surprised Reading this post, this kind of fud is common from green rats . Everything bad that happens to Xbox, or when xbox is 'forced' to acquire publishers, it's always sonys fault.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So i've been reading about an option called Karmic Dice, and i think i should give a heads up on it here.

The option is under user settings, and what it does basically is create a "loaded dice" that decreases the chances of failing rolls too often. It was made with the intention of avoiding situations where you just keep failing over and over in a row which might feel frustrating for some players.

N09EzhZ.png

And indeed, in most situations, it'll help you, especially during dialogue. I imagine it must advantegeous to leave this on if you're a new player that doesn't fully know what he's doing.

However this option also works for enemy throws and combat. It can create unfair or unbalanced situations for specific builds, so if you do know what you're doing, or you just want the game to play more like it normally would, make sure to turn this off as its enabled by default.

Keep in mind this is all based on EA version. Not sure if there'll be any changes in the final game.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Well the other one wasn't great so... After all this time we get a new BG and that's all you have to say about it?!

PS - I will totally fuck the bear if it gives me stats (flashbacks to Zevran anyone..?)
I'm really looking forward to BG3 and really happy Larian are doing it as I loved DOS. I just thought the original OT title was funny ... actually made me laugh.

peish

Gold Member
Sony should pay for 6 months exclusive. that will take the heat off star field and cap a perfect 2023.

the ps5 audience seems to welcome a crpg and bg3 appears more newbie friendly

naguanatak

I caved in and bought the game last night. Still having reservations about some aspects of it, though...
What aspects are those?

For me it's combat in general and the complexity of all of it for someone like me who has no idea about DnD and hasn't played any turn based combat game extensively

Guilty_AI

For me it's combat in general and the complexity of all of it for someone like me who has no idea about DnD and hasn't played any turn based combat game extensively
Trust me, if they've kept up with DOS2's combat design standard it'll slowly become your favorite part of the game.

I played it with people who hated turn-based combat with passion, that then went on to become bloodthirsty murderhobos as they learned the ropes.

Last edited:
What aspects are those?

I feel like they took too many liberties with the system, I guess. Like I've said before, while it's probably going to be very good, it's not really a Baldur's Gate game, and with that many house-rules I'd argue at this point it's not even really a DnD game anymore either.
I also fail to see the relevence of getting to choose your pronouns or the size of your genitals (but no boob slider, heh) in a Forgotten Realm setting, but I'd probably get called a nazi biggot if I were to say that anywhere else than here, so...

Top Bottom