• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banana-hand GAF Rejoice: OG Xbox controller making a current-gen comeback

Per Destructoid, the first enormous XBox controller design -- referred to by designers as The Duke -- is coming back.

There's been talk of bringing the gamepad back for Xbox One and Windows 10 and that initiative -- led by Xbox designer Seamus Blackley -- is moving forward with help from Hyperkin. It's approved.

#NewDuke has gone to tooling and is approved by @Xbox THIS IS HAPPENING! pic.twitter.com/zSVA4TFh08
— Seamus Blackley (@SeamusBlackley) September 20, 2017

The Xbox logo in the center of the controller is a full-on display (complete with an animation), and Blackley says the pad will have "many improvements but the same old feel." While I'm not at all in the market for this beast, I have to imagine some folks out there have a soft spot for the Duke.

We don't know the price or date for this limited-edition controller, but Hyperkin will take pre-orders.

Video of the redesign and superfluous animated display.

I know I'm in the minority, but I loved the original XBox controller. It just gave me Dreamcast vibes that felt right at home with all the Sega support the system got early on. The S controller, though easier to store, never struck a chord with my catcher's mitts hands.

We can rebuild it, we have the technology. The Duke is back

I absolutely loved the og controller for xbox, something about it where you felt like you was playing something powerful

controller3.jpg

I'm definitely getting one of these to play ninja gaiden black when it comes to bc(hint hint Microsoft)

It's beautiful but I do wish it had a modern layout with triggers + shoulder buttons instead of the oddly placed black and white buttons like the original.

The Duke and the Dreamcast controllers are the worst I've ever used in terms of ergonomics... but I'm sure there are a bunch of hardcore Xbox Fans out there who love that Microsoft is doing this, so... kudos? :)

jelly

It's a mistake, they should have done an Xbox One successor at the very least in spirit not bringing it back as is. Even then, not a great idea when the Xbox One controllers are pretty ace.

I have big hands, but the Duke never felt comfortable to me. I opted for the S whenever it was available during Halo LAN sessions at school. Wish they'd remake that...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have big hands, but the Duke never felt comfortable to me. I opted for the S whenever it was available during Halo LAN sessions at school. Wish they'd remake that...

Yep - 6'2" with large hands for my size, and the OG Duke wasn't comfortable as a kid, wasn't comfortable when I came back as a late teenager, and isn't comfortable today at 28.

I know a lot of people have a soft-spot for it; but man, I would LOVE a new S controller. I still like the button layout and placements more than the 360.

Kneefoil

The constantly looping Xbox boot up animation was a necessity, huh?

The only good feature on this thing is having six face buttons.

tensuke

What's with that screen? They took one of the worst looking controller designs, and made it worse. I guess enough people will buy it though.

Dabanton

For longer gaming sessions only the Dreamcast controller matched up to the Duke.

It was big, but perfect for the size of my hands. The PS2 controllers made my hands into a claw shape and the less said about the Nintendo gamecube controllers the better.

Baconmonk

Cool to see them re-release this controller, but why on earth does it have a screen? Arbitrarily drive up the cost on all sides? I might buy one if it was reasonably priced, but I'm sure it will be $100+

I hated it when the switched over to the S controller. I could never comfortably hit the black and white buttons when they put them in the bottom. I kept my duke for as long as I could till I got a 360. That controller was the real improvement.

Ovid

XBO Controller is ~$50.
XBO Elite Controller is ~$140.

The Duke will be ~$80.

What's with that screen? They took one of the worst looking controller designs, and made it worse. I guess enough people will buy it though.
They have to justify placing it at a higher price point. If they didn't, it would be less that the standard controller.

Of course I have no proof of this.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm OK with this, but the buttons need to be made more comfortable to press. Pressing the Duke's buttons felt like smashing your thumbs into tiny stones. Make them soft, flat-ish plastic or give them a rubbery feel, please.

qcf x2

I'm OK with this, but the buttons need to be made more comfortable to press. Pressing the Duke's buttons felt like smashing your thumbs into tiny stones. Make them soft, flat-ish plastic or give them a rubbery feel, please.

yeah, and make the buttons slightly larger. Other than that, the controller was pretty awesome imo.

Controller was grotesque and unnecessarily gargantuan. Great if you've got giants blood in you and regular controllers are too small.

Top Bottom