• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seamus Blackley reveals the origins of the original Xbox DUKE controller

I was one of the last holdouts in my group. Yes I have huge hands but it just felt good i my hands. S felt so small but the button placement and design just felt way better. The Duke will always have a special place.

lupinko

I would kill for any console manufacturer to bring back the diagonal button layout instead of the diamond we have now. Never liked how moving my thumb all the time to hit face buttons became the standard.

Well Nintendo and Sony won over Sega on that battle. Even Sega jumped on board sadly with the Dreamcast.

Made no sense since the Saturn pad (Japanese/Western model 2) and the Saturn analog pad were perfection.

A second analog added for the new generation would've been better.

But the SNES and PlayStation did win.

SpacLock

Not only was the thing huge, but the button placement was terrible. And to top it off, the oval shape of the face buttons ended up causing pain in some players thumb pads. Also, the right analog aiming stick with the small dimple made it easy for your thumb to slip off. BUT, I want one just for the pure nostalgia of it.

Luminaire

I have small hands and really liked this controller. I felt like I could do well in games and defend myself from a burglar at the same time. So many memories of DOA3 and Ninja Gaiden.

RM8

It's not size, but button placement what makes this terrible in the eyes of so many people. On top of that, you have that joke of a d-pad, and yeah.

KageMaru

It's not size, but button placement what makes this terrible in the eyes of so many people. On top of that, you have that joke of a d-pad, and yeah.

The d-pad was indeed shit but everything else was better than the S IMO. I hated where the black and white buttons were placed on the S controller. I had to twist my thumb in weird way to hit them. The Duke is still one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used.

GLAMr

I came in expecting more Xbox Huge memes.

sub_HUEG_21_.jpg

corin7

Neo Member
I think it's great they are bringing it back. I neither loved or hated it but I know plenty of people who loved the option of a bigger controller. Options are good.

The S was certainly a better controller but I had no problem with the DUKE. Used it for years before I got an S.

I got an XBOX around launch when I was either 10 or 11 and I didn't have any trouble holding the controller. I do remember playing Halo and it was the first time in quite a while where I had to learn a new controller layout though (and it was probably the last).

Segaswirl

I never really transitioned well to the S because of the Duke. The placement of the black and white buttons was something I was never really able to get used to. If there was a prompt on screen asking me to press either the black or white buttons I would have to look at the controller. I'm glad they became the bumpers with the 360.

I loved the original Xbox controller. It fit perfectly to my spindly, spidery fingers.

I take it this will technically differ in no way from a normal XB1 controller? If so, I'm so gonna get this for PC.

Karu

Friend had an Xbox and i GLADLY volunteered to play with the Duke. Great controller*

*if memory serves right. And I am not entirely sure it does.

the Duke controller is evidence that alien/ice giants walks among us...

i don't think the regular homo sapien race were ready for its size...only ice giants/alien grays will appreciate that nukem size of a controller.

Svejk

That is awesome! By far my favorite xbox controller. I have kinda oafish hands, so it fit nice and snug with no cramps. Plus, it had the rounded top (convex) analog sticks. It still baffles me to this day why current gen controllers did away with convex sticks...

The concave sticks?... That's not how standard human ligaments move, engineers. The military grade sticks get it right... not sure why they devolved it.

Top Bottom