• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco confirms then denies Tales of Vesperia for PS3, now they apologized

Jiggy

Another DS Tales is fantastic news to me.
Or, at least, it would be if I had any moderate reason to expect Scamco will translate it. :/

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
-SRW Z is either fall or early 2009 (SRW games seem to be tough to pin down dates. Sprite animation takes forever to make. Hope it makes 2008!)

never trust any SRW release dates...ever, they will definitely delay it, it's like a tradition for banpresto haha, but i really hope i'm wrong, with bandai namco funds backing up you would think they have more resources

Barakov

Gold Member
hirokazu said:
Well that was rather quick...

They're expecting SoulCalibur IV to be their bestt seller too?

I actually mistakenly read that as bustt. Need to lay off the liquor.

Bebpo

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Another DS Tales is fantastic news to me.
Or, at least, it would be if I had any moderate reason to expect Scamco will translate it. :/

To make you feel better, it shows the countries each game is being released in and Tales DS is just Japan and (Asia?).

hteng said:
never trust any SRW release dates...ever, they will definitely delay it, it's like a tradition for banpresto haha, but i really hope i'm wrong, with bandai namco funds backing up you would think they have more resources

Well I'm assuming that's why they gave a floaty ~ estimate. I remember all the OGs delays. I'm really, really looking forward to SRW Z (probably more than any other games outside MGS4) so I want it to make 2008 so I can play it over x-mas break. But I can totally see it being pushed back to March or even spring of next year :(

Jonnyram

Bebpo, these are only the "major" releases - it doesn't mean other games aren't coming.
Last I heard, Vesperia 360 was supposed to be this summer. PS3 version I expect around the end of the year / next spring. Of course the PS3 version might not even come out in America...

Don't expect many 360 exclusives from Namco from now on, though time exclusivity is a given for the time being, since they have been developing on 360 for a year or two longer.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ShockingAlberto said:
Wow, so they RE4'd it.

Bravo, Namco.

Does this really count as a RE4'd though? I don't think the 360 was anywhere near as hyped up for or dependent on Vesperia as the Gamecube was for RE4

harSon

Banned
Are they being released simultaneously? Namco's comments a month or so ago made it seem like the Playstation 3 version had yet to actually materialize.

kay

schuelma said:
What were the 2 Wii releases?
Were? You mean are, they aren't released yet. I've added in the translated list.

harSon said:
Are they being released simultaneously? Namco's comments a month or so ago made it seem like the Playstation 3 version had yet to actually materialize.
They did the same dance with Eternal Sonata and a little while later there was already screenshots of it. Probably not simultaneous though, I don't see that happening. Who knows with this company.

Jiggy

Bebpo said:
To make you feel better, it shows the countries each game is being released in and Tales DS is just Japan and (Asia?).
I would say "Well then, at least I'll never have to get my hopes up," but technically I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up anyway. :(

icecream

Public Health Threat
kay said:
They did the same dance with Eternal Sonata and a little while later there was already screenshots of it.
Except it was announced after it had released for a while. For Vesperia, if they don't hold back for a simultaneous release they're pretty much sending the 360 version to die.

Of course, perhaps that's what they're intending...

Firestorm

Yay another Tales game we won't get =/ I'm not gonna hold my breath on DS releases. Maybe if Dawn of the New World does really well Nintendo will give Innocence a chance. Then again, they'd probably just bring in Tempest.

CrushDance said:
I was discussing sales in THIS thread and mentioned how I believed that TOV would be heading to PS3 as well since developers wouldn't want to pass the oppotunity for extra sales up.

XD I'm a prophet!

Yeah you're the first one to say that. Ever! Really!

Firestorm said:
Yay another Tales game we won't get =/ I'm not gonna hold my breath on DS releases. Maybe if Dawn of the New World does really well Nintendo will give Innocence a chance. Then again, they'd probably just bring in Tempest.

Read it again.

CrushDance said:
Nah. I never though it would be coming to PS3 when it was first announced, I hoped it would be, but I wasn't holding my breath. I just find it funny that I used it as an argument and it came true minutes later, that's all!

harSon

Banned
icecream said:
Except it was announced after it had released for a while. For Vesperia, if they don't hold back for a simultaneous release they're pretty much sending the 360 version to die.

That doesn't make much sense, maybe I'm reading it wrong? If Vesperia is a timed exclusive for the Xbox 360, they're sending the 360 version to die?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
wat

Did Namdai just blew a few announcements plus gave reasonable sales expectations? This isn't Namdai, this is spar...madness :/
I like how they just killed whatever chance the 360 version of Vesperia had of selling... Something, anything!

Brashnir

whoa whoa whoa... Am I reading this right? Did Namco just make an announcement that makes financial sense for them? This is big news!

icecream

Public Health Threat
harSon said:
That doesn't make much sense, maybe I'm reading it wrong? If Vesperia is a timed exclusive for the Xbox 360, they're sending the 360 version to die?
What good is a timed exclusive when everyone already knows what version they want?

kay said:
I don't think were going to bet on people buying a 360 for this game, it didn't work before. The 360 version will sell pretty close to what it would have if they waited, I'm sure of it.
The Tales series is a bit more established and popular than a new medicore RPG franchise.

grandjedi6

Error said:
I like how they just killed whatever chance the 360 version of Vesperia had of selling... Something, anything!

Only in Japan. The Tales of series isn't a big enough series in America and Europe for this announcement to actually effect sales

kay

icecream said:

I don't think they were going to bet on people buying a 360 for this game, it didn't work before. The 360 version will sell pretty close to what it would have if they waited, I'm sure of it.

grandjedi6 said:
Does this really count as a RE4'd though? I don't think the 360 was anywhere near as hyped up for or dependent on Vesperia as the Gamecube was for RE4
It's not so much a measurement of hype as it is a parallel to the sequence of events.

Jonnyram

kay said:
I don't think they were going to bet on people buying a 360 for this game, it didn't work before. The 360 version will sell pretty close to what it would have if they waited, I'm sure of it.
On the flip side, I don't think anyone's gonna buy a PS3 for it either. It will pretty much be existing hardware owners buying it for both versions.

Firestorm

Jonnyram said:
On the flip side, I don't think anyone's gonna buy a PS3 for it either. It will pretty much be existing hardware owners buying it for both versions.

Didn't GCN numbers double for Symphonia the week it came out?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
grandjedi6 said:
Hoho, well this was expected

1.) It better be good
2.) It better come out over here

3.) Namco better get their head out of their ass and bring Innocence over here

grandjedi6

HK-47 said:
3.) Namco better get their head out of their ass and bring Innocence over here
4.) Free Taco Day. Goddammit Namco, where is my free taco day?!
auf2fm.gif

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Last I heard, Vesperia 360 was supposed to be this summer. PS3 version I expect around the end of the year / next spring. Of course the PS3 version might not even come out in America...

Summer is what I heard as well, which is why I'm disappointed if that pdf is right because the down half of the fiscal year is definitely not "summer" :\

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
Nintendo is just about the only hope at this point, but after Phantasia on GBA... Yeah, not looking too hot.

Error said:
It'll still sell okay in the States. But yes, the Japanese version was just killed off.

harSon

Banned
icecream said:
What good is a timed exclusive when everyone already knows what version they want?

The Tales series is a bit more established and popular than a new medicore RPG franchise.

You're assuming everyone owns both consoles?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
Nintendo is just about the only hope at this point, but after Phantasia on GBA... Yeah, not looking too hot.

I could fly to Japan and assault them with nuncucks...if that would help

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ToV looks good, can't wait.

icecream

Public Health Threat
harSon said:
You're assuming everyone owns both consoles?
I'm assuming that in Japan, multiplatform games sell better on the PS3 than the 360. Which they have, as the PS3 has 4x the userbase the 360 has.

Any sales advantage by releasing a game first on a specific console is reduced when the title is confirmed to appear on other consoles. Which is the point of timed exclusives in the first place.

Top Bottom