• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands/artists that had a massive change in genre from their debut album/early career?

Deftones..nu metal to shoegazy dream pop metal..
This is the best Deftones to be honest. I honestly think if they kept their Adrenaline sound they wouldn't have been able to stay interesting and evolve with my taste in music. Their old stuff has aged a lot better than Korn for example though...haven't listened to Korn in fucking years.

DiscoJer

As mentioned, Ministry.. New Romantic/Synthpop to Industrial to MTV Metal

Curiously, The Human League went sort of the other way.

Their first stuff was industrial (and their name was taken from a wargame) with Being Boiled their notable song, then everyone but one guy quite and he made them synthpop

Led Zeppelin gone from being well, Led Zeppelin to almost a dance rock band with their last album being heavily synth driven. Carouselambra and All My Love most notably

gfxtwin

Boy this is a good one. Oceanic is a great album with tinges of post metal. Everything after that was awful.

Panopticon was my introduction to them and was unlike anything I heard before. The emotions and moods in that album connected with me more that any of their others, but maybe it would be different if I heard their earlier stuff first.

DiscoJer

Moody Blues were a totally different band after Denny Lane left. .

Yeah, originally they were a Mersey Beat band. Then an orchestral rock band. Then later when Mike Pinder left (who played the Mellotron, which simulated orchestral sounds), they became basically a synth pop band in the 80s.

Kurita

Chainsmokers.

Their first breakout hit was #Selfie

Their latest songs (which are all arguably the same song) sound nothing like that

Wait I always thought this was a parody/comedy song made by a random dude on the Internet lol

On topic, I guess Yonezu Kenshi.
Started as one of the biggest vocaloid producers under the name Hachi, now using his real (?) name and singing his own tunes, being one of the hottest J-Pop artists right now.

Ministry, they started as a synthpop band. Became Industrial/Industrial Metal/Thrash Metal.

Was going to post this. The difference is staggering.

Back before the internet, I spent my allowance on their first album after loving Psalm 69. I legit thought the salesman gave me the wrong album.

LionPride

Banned
I'm sure gaf doesn't like him, but this is Yelawolf to a T. He started as a full on rap artist under Shady records, but has since changed his style to more of a country, folk-esque style.
Yela was aight

Was

The Rolling Stones is a good example

Triple 6 was a horrocore group

opoth

Banned
The Cure
Ministry

If you want to dig deep and obscure, Spahn Ranch. Compare Collateral Damage to their final album Closure.

Machine

Led Zeppelin gone from being well, Led Zeppelin to almost a dance rock band with their last album being heavily synth driven. Carouselambra and All My Love most notably

Bands that stay around for a long time tend to adapt to trends and end up sounding very different as time goes on. The Kinks, Stones, and Moody Blues sounded a lot different in the '80s than they did in the '60s with all the added pop and synth touches while the Bee Gees really changed as they went from the baroque pop of Odessa to the disco of Saturday Night Fever.

Aselith

Smashing Pumpkins went from pretty happy, hippy music and got pretty dark with Mellon Collie. It wasn't a completely new direction for them musically but it seemed like a pretty big tonal shift.

btrboyev

Smashing Pumpkins went from pretty happy, hippy music and got pretty dark with Mellon Collie. It wasn't a completely new direction for them musically but it seemed like a pretty big tonal shift.

Really? I didn't think it was that different to be 100% honest.

Panopticon was my introduction to them and was unlike anything I heard before. The emotions and moods in that album connected with me more that any of their others, but maybe it would be different if I heard their earlier stuff first.

Panopticon was just really watered down compared to Oceanic. It was less ambitious. They quit writing music and just let their effects pedals do the talking, and that was what every other band was doing at the time.

I don't usually follow music and stuff like that, but one example I can think of is Cage the Elephant. Their first 2 albums (or at least the singles) sound very different from their newer stuff which I thought sounded too sappy and I didn't like.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Ceremony for sure

they seemed to change sounds every album. started out as powerviolence, then a more straightforward modern hardcore, to 80s hardcore worship ala Black Flag, then idk just like garagey 70s punk worship, to last year's album that is full-blown Joy Divison-esque post-punk. it's been a wild ride. wish they'd go back to their powerviolence stuff because those shows looked so fun but i can understand them growing out of it and being burnt out on that scene.
Came here to post this. They even have pins that say, "I miss the old Ceremony" lol. And yes, their shows were the best. They can only be described as human jungle gyms. :)))

jay

Therion:

- Early days: occult death metal (awesome)
- Transition period: Celtic Frost-tinged symphonic metal (awesome)
- Modern period: symphonic/operatic metal (from awesome to okay, depending on album)

Except for the really recent stuff, all of it is quite good, too. The less said about their 2010's stuff the better. :p

Amorphis:

- Early period: death metal (awesome)
- Transition period 1: epic/proggy metal with some deathgrowls still (awesome)
- Transition period 2: prog rock (from okay to zzzz)
- Modern period: Kind of like transition 1, except more boring :( or I just lost interest, IDK

Samael:

- Early period: black metal (awesome)
- Transition period: ..."dark" metal? IDK (still awesome)
- Later period: electronic weirdness (from decent, to complete awfulness)
- Modern period: "return to roots" that isn't, just a mediocre, inferior version of their mid-period (boo)

Tiamat:

- Early period: death, doom/death metal (seeing a pattern... xD), solid
- Mid period: gothic metal (awesome)
- Later period: gothic rock (from OK to ewww depending on album)

Yeah, seein' a pattern... :D

Good one. Too bad they turned to shit with their tough guy bro-metal. Glamtera is best Pantera, it is known.

Good job on reading the OP... e_e

I was going to say three of your four so I will instead add Paradise Lost. They kind of did an Amorphis though and got heavier though still not what they were. Also Cynic.

WonderPup

Every pre-breakup album has felt very different but still very Pumpkins-esque. It's one of the things I've always appreciated about them. I feel the same way about Bjork's music from Debut up through the Vespertine era.

I would like to mention the Barenaked Ladies

Their debut album was varied in genres with a personal favorite being "Box Set."
Their second album was not as varied but varied nonetheless.
The percussionist leaves the band and they try to go for a grunge sound for their third album.
Then their fourth album made them famous for one week
Their fifth album is really poppy.
Their sixth album is more politically motivated, but still carrying that pop sound. I enjoy "Shopping," for its silliness.
Their seventh and eighth albums are where I kind of stopped listening to them. All I know is that these two albums came from the same recording session.
They released a children's album since the majority of the band members are parents.
Their tenth album saw one of the founding members leave the band to pursue solo projects. This is where I stopped buying their albums, but they're still around and are currently working on releasing a new album.

Same goes for Low, a band notorious for being slow and minimal and quiet, until suddenly they weren't anymore. It upset a lot of fans, but I enjoy both their slowcore stuff, as well as whatever you'd call what they do now, which is more produced, more instrumented, and less focused on slow drone.

Early:https://youtu.be/e3mB31w7QSw (That's how you sing) Amazing Grace
Late: https://youtu.be/2B1BrLiKMss Monkey

Totally with you on the Mountain Goats, but the distance between the two Low songs is 2 or 3 years if I remember correctly. They were still releasing side material that matched their earlier output (Bombscare with Springheel Jack?) around that time.

Radiohead were always pretty boring. Later, they were boring. There was a middle period there where they were boring, too.

Modest Mouse transitioned from a Pixies-influenced incredible spatial sound of their best outputs, later settling into the scattered disco-ish hi-hat stuff of their later years. That's a change for the worse.

Radiohead started out as a decent rock band. Anyone Can Play Guitar is an awesome song. They let loose with a few bangers on the next couple of albums and then it seems like they discovered Warp records and shat the bed. Everything after, and including Kid A seems like uninspired mimicry. But you're right, it's totally different than the earlier work.

The only thing I would add to your Modest Mouse comment is that they turned into the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I probably have 200+ MM soundboards dating before 2002 and they were such a rock solid band. I hate that they lost everything that made them unique. Give me a 15 minute live version of Cowboy Dan every time...I don't even recognize the band any more.

Primal Scream

This is an awesome answer. 100% on point.

M83 - Started off making straightforward post rock to retrowavey, rock/pop with post rock epicness

I'm with you on MBV, but I think you're heading in the wrong direction with M83. They didn't start out as a post-punk outfit - they began much more in the electronic & experimental side of things. Their early stuff was basically electronic shoegaze. Kind of like a noisy Seefeel.

The electronic scene is full of artists that have jumped around:

Karl Hyde (Freur -> Underworld)
Norman Cook (Housemartins -> Fatboy Slim)
Moby (Moby -> Moby -> Moby)

I'm surprised I haven't seen Soul Asylum in this thread.

Clockwork5

Electric Light Orchistra.

Went from experimental orchestral rock on their first albums to that sweet sweet pop sound of Face the Music, New World Record and Out of the Blue and went very Synth pop by the release of Time.

Not as big of a shift as some bands here but a gradual and pleasant shift.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A few extreme metal bands that followed a similar path.

The Gathering began as a death metal band but ended up as a alternative, trip hop band.
That ain't death metal. That's doom. Maybe doom/death sometimes but not really this song. You're right that they drastically changed, though (for the far, far worse).

Tristania began as a black metal band
Okay, no. I enjoy this Tristania album very much but it is not black metal. Not even a little bit close to it. :p

Sepultura. Black/Death thrash
No! Death/thrash is correct though.

Dammit people stop calling everything black metal xD

Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers is totally different now then he was in the 60's and early 70's. Think Andy Williams meets Stockhausen.

Timeaisis

Fleetwood Mac went from blues rock to pop.

Don't get me started.

Tame impala, won't say it was for the worst but I do enjoy their earlier material far more.

Oh, true. Went from like garage psych thing to basically synth rock/pop on Currents.

I defintely like their earlier stuff better.

AFI, and thank goodness for that. I have loved everything single thing from them.

I say this as I'm jamming out to Davey's vocals on the new album from DREAMCAR.

I can't wait to see my boys again in July.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
That ain't death metal. That's doom. Maybe doom/death sometimes but not really this song. You're right that they drastically changed, though (for the far, far worse).

Okay, no. I enjoy this Tristania album very much but it is not black metal. Not even a little bit close to it. :p

No! Death/thrash is correct though.

Dammit people stop calling everything black metal xD

I was scrolling up and I knew this post was from you before I even saw the user name hahaha.

Gaf as a Silverchair fanatic you guys have made my day to recognize their evolution---it really was incredible following them with each album growing up. Diorama was the peak---it's almost unbelievable to think the same band recorded a grunge album 7 years prior after listening to 'Across the night' as an album opener. Daniel Johns is such a talent---hope he releases more good stuff in the future.
If anyone here likes Diorama/Young Modern I highly recommend "New York" from his self-titled album 'Talk'. It's amazing

Teggy

My absolute favorite one of these is Bad Religion - although they didn't make a permanent change to their sound so much as take one of the weirdest detours you've ever seen/heard. Bad Religion is and was a hardcore punk band, but very early in their career, right after their first full album, they got the idea that they and their fans would tire of the music so they put out - no joking - a prog rock record. It was a major disaster and they actually broke up, luckily coming back together a few years later with their original sound.

A lesser band might bury this, but no, you can read about it and hear them talk about it on their web site (I could have sworn they used to have the audio files up there but it appears not. Edit - looks like the commentary files are gone too, not sure what happened):
http://www.badreligion.com/albums/2/

Myriadis

I was thinking of John Frusciante as well.

I love his earlier solo stuff (Shadows Collide With People, The Will to Death, Inside of Emptiness, The Empyrean) but his last two solo albums moved onto a totally different (worse) direction, at least in my opinion.

Really a shame since those earlier solo albums hold a special place in my heart.
Yeah, I think that second electro album, Enclosure, is pretty decent but I really prefer his earlier guitar stuff. The Empyrean feels like such a good closer to his guitar era now.

Cold War Kids, for the worse.
Just listened to their newest single. That's straight up mindless Radio stuff. Their first album was at least decent.

Talk Talk. And for the better.

Whenever I hear "It's my life" on the radio I'm fondly reminded of how Laughing Stock and Garden of Eden absolutely destroyed the boundaries of what a band can do if they simply choose to shrug off preconceived expectations and do what they want to.

I need to research this.
I only know the "it's a shame" and "life's what you make it" Talk Talk, but Always thought they had a lot to say. Plus the singer always looked like a nice funny guy.
Yeah, do it. "The Colour Of Spring" also shows the first forays into their new style. Spirit of Eden is simply one of the best albums of the 80s and the precursor of good Post-Rock. Mark Hollis also has a solo album that also sounds great and other band members founded O'Rang (more chaotic, still great) or did collaborations like Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man (one of the greatest albums I know)

Yup. I was a big Incubus fan because of their early stuff. I was a bit indifferent to Make Yourself. By the time Morning View came out I was done.

For me it's till "Light Grenades". Very poppy but still some good stuff in there.

D'Angelo - Brown Sugar and Erykah Badu - Baduism was seen as the beginnings of the Neo Soul genre.

I had the latter.

I'd imagine there may not be any love here for it, so someone has to.
Erykah Badu herself went from Soul R&B to almost straight Hip Hop. Still, every single album of her is a masterpiece.

Kings of Leon.
Good one. First three are really nice, especially the third (with the 7 minute opus "Knocked Up" their masterpiece) and then they went more commercial. Prefer the first three.

Genesis is a text book definition.

Went from Progressive rock songs like Supper's ready and long concept albums like Lamb More
Lies Down to pop love songs like Follow you, follow me and We can't dance.

UrbanRats

Talk Talk. And for the better.

Whenever I hear "It's my life" on the radio I'm fondly reminded of how Laughing Stock and Garden of Eden absolutely destroyed the boundaries of what a band can do if they simply choose to shrug off preconceived expectations and do what they want to.

Yeah, was going to be my pick.
Garden of Eden and Laughing Stock (and Mark Hollis' solo album) are masterpieces.
I still kind of like their previous stuff, but it's a very different ball park.

Top Bottom