• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands/Performers That Stayed Consistently Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny Cash going out right after Hurt came out was bizarre. To this day it still rages if the original is better, but that discussion is not really interesting. Cash made it his own, made it about his own life, faults and regrets.
A lot of people in Europe hate American Country music. They see it as Nascar/Wrestling/My-inbred-Trucker-Wedding. It's hard for us to understand because we don't have the same relationship to the western frontier or westerns in general. Not in the same way Americans do. Furthermore Southern-American cultural export has a bad rep all over the world; racism, obesity, not sounding intelligent, guns, republicans. This is a stereotype of course, but I think the progressive sides of America are generally preferred a lot more.

So people know who Johnny Cash is, but they don't know who Dixie Chicks or Jason Aldean are even though those acts are pretty big.
Anyway, the point is that Johnny Cash Hurt- Everyone I saw talking about that song loved it to death, and sort of just overlooked its country roots. "I hate country, but that song is realllllyyy goood" was usually the response.

Foo Fighters @ Many people shit on Foo Fighters because it is supposedly boring, and I agree that it is not as distinct as a lot of the great stuff in sub-Rock cultures that now dominate the popular sphere- post rock, Alternative, Stone, Pyschedellic, ectro, metal, hard, post-punk, post-alternative and so on and so forth, Foo Fighters remains pretty much the only "standard" Rock band that is just Rock and is able to be mainstream.

You could say the same about U2 (who I find legitimately boring and tiresome), Coldplay (see them more as Brit rock). In a weird way Foo Fighters are hanging on to a time when great rock music was at the top of the charts. Foo Fighters is not like blow-your-mind-this-is-so-fucking-amazing-im-gonna-die, but I really appreciate how its just normal rock.
So many rock acts are fusioned in all sorts of directions but Foo Fighters remain consistent.

pablito

Nick Cave
Swans
Bowie
Deftones
Scarface
Neurosis
Ulver (impressive considering the genre hopping they do)
Tom Waits

PJ Harvey has been very consistent so far. I'm not into all of her albums (never really got into Uh Huh Her and I find Rid of Me a very harsh and unpleasant listen, though that was obviously deliberate), but she has never put out a disappointing album or gone through a creative rut.

liquidtmd

Banned
The Smiths.

A comparatively short run but every album I can't think of a thing I'd change about them.

Moz went up his own arse in the end but I will forever be fascinated by his former bands output.

For me Pink Floyd. Yes one can debate the wordiness of The Final Cut or post Roger Waters Pink Floyd, but in the end I still found their output good (just not great if I was honest, but the thread ask for good).

Also I think Pink Floyd has the greatest streak of great albums ever:

Meddle 1971
Obscured by Clouds 1972
The Dark Side of the Moon 1973
Wish You Were Here 1975
Animals 1977
The Wall 1979

6 albums I love all done by the same group in the 70s'.

higemaru

Nick Drake :(

Beck is really good considering how often his sound changes. I've listened to some albums that I were "eh" but I've never thought one was awful. They can't all be Sea Change or Odelay but he's never hit a major low.

Tom Waits is a great pick too, as is Blur. It's really shocking that The Magic Whip was as good as it was.

All of Bjork's albums are great even if I'm not the biggest fan of Biophilia.

Tenebrous

For me Pink Floyd. Yes one can debate the wordiness of The Final Cut or post Roger Waters Pink Floyd, but in the end I still found their output good (just not great if I was honest, but the thread ask for good).

Also I think Pink Floyd has the greatest streak of great albums ever:

Meddle 1971
Obscured by Clouds 1972
The Dark Side of the Moon 1973
Wish You Were Here 1975
Animals 1977
The Wall 1979

6 albums I love all done by the same group in the 70s'.

Obscured by Clouds is pretty hit & miss (mostly miss), and The Wall doesn't live up to the others (in my rather unpopular opinion).

I'd rather go with...

The Bends - 95
OK Computer - 97
Kid A - 00
Amnesiac - 01
Hail to the Thief - 03
In Rainbows - 07

or...

The White Stripes - 99
De Stijl - 00
White Blood Cells - 01
Elephant - 03
Get Behind Me Satan - 05
Icky Thump - 07

Bjork has already been mentioned. 8 albums, 8 classics.

Nick Drake :(

3 of the most perfect albums of all time. Would've posted myself, but I didn't think he did it long enough to warrant a place in the thread, despite being my favourite guitarist of all time.

Edit: Another addition - Elliott Smith.

Roman Candle - 94?
Self Titled - 95
Either/Or - 97
XO - 98
Figure 8 - 00

Another... Portishead. They get a mention for putting out three albums over such a long period of time that are all classics in their own right.
Dummy - 94
Self Titled - 97
Third - 08

I'm surprised I can remember so many release dates.

Light Hobo

Neo Member
Megadeth

hqdefault.jpg

(also Rush - but they have been represented)

Bob Dylan comes to mind. Besides Self Portrait, everything from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan to Desire is excellent, and he's had a great run again between Oh Mercy and the present if you exclude Under The Red Sky.

He wrote Blind Willie Mctell pretty late in his career so I give it to him.

I want another Porcupine Tree album so bad

me too.

saw him live last year and he performed a few Porcupine Tree tracks (Lazarus and Sleep Together) along with nearly all of Hand. Cannot. Erase and some tracks from The Raven That Refused to Sing and Grace from Drowning. Really made me want another Porcupine Tree album.

bebop242

Pearl Jam.

Eddie Vedder has a voice of an angel and i have seen that band live from the early 90s till up to a few years ago and out of the half dozen times i have seem them they were amazing every time. Pearl Jam may not have been around as long as some bands but i would say they have had a pretty fucking good and long career.

Not a fan, but going to have to agree with them being a good mention.

PJ Harvey has been very consistent so far. I'm not into all of her albums (never really got into Uh Huh Her and I find Rid of Me a very harsh and unpleasant listen, though that was obviously deliberate), but she has never put out a disappointing album or gone through a creative rut.

Creative wise, she's the absolute best. She has put out albums that I haven't cared for personally, but I always look forward to new PJ.

gappvembe

This topic is so subjective really.
For me it would be my favorite bands:
KISS
Def Leppard (minus first album)
The Darkness
Edguy (for me it's Hellfire Club and after)
Avanatasia (The first two albums are just ok, but after that love them)

Case in point:
For me Pink Floyd.

I only like one PF song, Take It Back. Anything else I've heard, I don't like.

GhaleonEB

Everyone I thought of was mentioned, but Tool is the band that first came to mind, though they have a small discography.

For a longer running group, U2. Even their "bad" albums (Pop) are decent.

65daysofstatic has no bad records.

Let's see.
Deadsy, they only had 2 official albums but both are amazing.
Depeche Mode
Julien-K, just 3 albums but all are fantastic
The Birthday Massacre

Obscured by Clouds is pretty hit & miss (mostly miss), and The Wall doesn't live up to the others (in my rather unpopular opinion).

I'd rather go with...

The Bends - 95
OK Computer - 97
Kid A - 00
Amnesiac - 01
Hail to the Thief - 03
In Rainbows - 07

While subjectively I prefer the Pink Floyd streak I agree with you about Radiohead (King of Limbs was a miss for me). If I was honest The Wall is the hardest one for me to listen to now (mainly because the younger version of me I listen to it too much). I saw Roger perform The Wall in Atlanta, and I saw Radiohead the next year at the same venue. Both shows were A+.

Also I would say Metallica had a very nice streak going at one time, but it all went to shit.

Kill'em All 1983
Ride the Lighting 1984
Master of Puppets 1986
The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited 1987 (I know cheating since all covers)
...& Justice for All 1988
Metallica 1991

Killing Joke are quite an astonishing example. This is not just a band that has managed to stay good, but one who arguably sounds more vital and relevant today than they've ever sounded (which might also have to do with the shitty state the world is in at the moment... :-/ ).

I would even say that their late 80s synth-pop phase on Brighter than a Thousand Suns is really very good for what it is. There's only the Outside the Gate album as the sole sore spot and that's a Jaz Coleman solo album in all but name. And considering the sheer madness that has always surrounded this band, it's nothing short of a miracle that they're still around and still making great albums at that.

Tenebrous

GAF has failed.

Ctrl+F "Who"... No band responses.

How can no-one mention The fucking Who!? Not a single bad album throughout the 60s & 70s.

While subjectively I prefer the Pink Floyd streak I agree with you about Radiohead (King of Limbs was a miss for me). If I was honest The Wall is the hardest one for me to listen to now (mainly because the younger version of me I listen to it too much). I saw Roger perform The Wall in Atlanta, and I saw Radiohead the next year at the same venue. Both shows were A+.

Also I would say Metallica had a very nice streak going at one time, but it all went to shit.

Kill'em All 1983
Ride the Lighting 1984
Master of Puppets 1986
The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited 1987 (I know cheating since all covers)
...& Justice for All 1988
Metallica 1991

Roger also has some pretty great solo work that enhances his status. Amused To Death > The Wall.

GAF has failed.

Ctrl+F "Who"... No band responses.

How can no-one mention The fucking Who!? Not a single bad album throughout the 60s & 70s.

Because It's Hard and Endless Wire happened. If they'd had quit (or at least quit making albums) after Keith Moon died, I would have named them in a heartbeat, but unfortunately they didn't and Pete Townshend has been steadily going downhill as a songwriter since Quadrophenia. And that's coming from someone who loves The Who more than any other 60s band and who thinks that Quadrophenia is one of the best albums of all time.

The Phish from Vermont

over 30 years as a band and they're still going strong, they just played one of their best tours as a band this past summer, and they do it all while staying completely outside the mainstream. name me another band like that that can sell out 4 nights at MSG in minutes or get over 40,000 people to show up to a festival where they're the only band that plays.

edit: in 2004 they were pretty bad but that is only one year of their career and it's mostly because their leader and guitar player was literally dying on stage addicted to alcohol and heroin. even then there were still some great jams but their composed music took a huge hit. but he got clean and now they're back and going strong.

Basically this. 2004 was real rough and 2009, being their first year back in 5 years, did not have the kind of epic jams Phish is known for, but since then they have gotten better and better with each year imho. 2016 should be something amazing, too bad the shit Canadian dollar is going to prevent me from catching any summer dates. (Maybe Dick's....maybe).

Tenebrous

Because It's Hard and Endless Wire happened. If they'd had quit (or at least quit making albums) after Keith Moon died, I would have named them in a heartbeat, but unfortunately they didn't and Pete Townshend has been steadily going downhill as a songwriter since Quadrophenia. And that's coming from someone who loves The Who more than any other 60s band and who thinks that Quadrophenia is one of the best albums of all time.

I don't disagree that they commited a few musical crimes once the 80s kicked in, but 15 years of damn good music from the mid 60s throughout the 70s makes them consistently good for longer than most bands could possibly hope for.

I'm with you on Quadrophenia, though. Ten times the album The Wall is... Every time I get a new set of headphones, one of the tests is "The Real Me." Entwistles bass has to excite me for me to give cans a passing grade.

OK the late 90's early 00's were pretty rough - but their stuff since United Abominations has been pretty good (or maybe I just like 80's thrash metal to a fault...)
Supercollider is mostly sewage in audio format. Endgame is a very good album, and I liked United Abominations when it came out, but going back to it, i dont really care for most of it. Thirteen I think is just kinda meh. Still havent listened to Dystopia yet, but those song titles seem like the furthest that Dave has gone off the deep end so far, so that doesnt instill much hope to me.

I'll try to limit this to groups that have been or were around for at least twenty years.

Nick Cave - I'm counting his bands and solo stuff together.
Yo La Tengo
Radiohead
Michael Gira - I'd say Swans, but they had a long period of inactivity, so I'm counting all his projects together.
Sonic Youth - I know their early-90s output gets maligned sometimes, but they had a pretty remarkable run overall
Bowie - I'll forgive the late-80s. He had a a remarkable period of relevance for about 45 years, and capped it off with an excellent record.

I don't really listen to too many legacy bands with discographies spanning decades. These 90s bands never wavered in quality though, imo. They honed their sound and stayed in their lane.

Unwound
The Jesus Lizard
Shellac
Pinback

Consistent artists for me from the past decade

Clutch
Beach House
The Mars Volta
John Frusciante's solo stuff

I don't really listen to too many legacy bands with discographies spanning decades. These 90s bands never wavered in quality though, imo. They honed their sound and stayed in their lane.

Unwound
The Jesus Lizard
Shellac
Pinback

Clutch
Beach House
The Mars Volta

Ooh, that's a good one. Steve Albini in general has been a pretty solid presence.

If I'm mentioning stuff from post-2000, I'd say Liars have been continually interesting since their debut.

LocalE

Unwound
The Jesus Lizard
Shellac
Pinback

Clutch
Beach House
The Mars Volta

I came in to make sure Clutch gets a mention...and I just want to point out that they have been rockin' since like 1991, so...a bit more than the last decade.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
LCD Soundsystem
Sleater-Kinney (only just started listening to them and they're really good)
My Bloody Valentine
Wilco (although some of their later stuff was just ok)

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Motorhead

23 albums released over 40 years. The biggest problem that plagued them over their career was dubious production. Most of the albums I would classify as less than good are almost always due to awful production. It brings down otherwise great albums - as is proven when songs from them are played live.

They finally got the producer they deserved with 2004's Inferno and they went on to make some of the best albums of their career with him, so it's always a shame when everyone screams Ace of Spades from the hill tops without taking into account everything else they released.

Metalmarc

Iron Maiden - only 3 albums im not overly fond of personally but even dance of death (loved by fans) has some great songs like paschendale (they are my favourite band) xfactor and vx1 being worse but i still like a couple of songs off both like clansman and sign of the cross etc
Megadeth - Supercollider is worse than Risk imo, The world needs a hero also isnt great, but its alright to listen to now and again (the song when i listen to the most) the rest i'd rate between good to really awesome albums
AC/DC
Rush
Devin Townsend - i swear this guy spews out awesome material constantly, the only 2 im not into are the drone album the hummer and dev lab
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles
Queen - i never bought the flash soundtrack, nor hot space (Queen are the first band i ever got into at 8yrs old, very rare did they dissapoint with Freddie , now after Freddie died, i dont really feel they weere truly Queen anymore and somethings they did afterwards are better left forgotten)

I think almost every band, even the awesome ones have a bad album or two though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom