• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barbenheimer (July 21, 2023)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Barbenheimer[a] is an Internet phenomenon that began circulating ahead of the simultaneous July 21, 2023, theatrical release of two films diametrically opposed in genre, Barbie and Oppenheimer.[6] The word is a portmanteau of the films' titles.[7] The contrast between Barbie—a fantasy comedy directed by Greta Gerwig about the fashion doll Barbie—and Oppenheimer—a biographical thriller written and directed by Christopher Nolan about physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, the scientific director of the Manhattan Project, which developed the first nuclear weapons during World War II—provoked a comedic response from Internet users.[8] Polygon described the two films as "extreme opposites".[9]

Initially a rivalry between the two films, the Barbenheimer phenomenon became an Internet meme creation about an instance of counterprogramming. Simultaneously, Barbie and Oppenheimer faced friendly opposition from actor Tom Cruise, who bought tickets to see both films while his own film, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One, is scheduled to still be in theaters when Barbie and Oppenheimer are released and faced limited IMAX screenings. Many suggestions to watch the films as a double feature emerged as their release date approached. Actors in both films responded to the rivalry by encouraging audiences to watch both films on the same day.

7YvpiqP.jpg

8W8RlbH.jpg

Puscifer

Which one first?
Oppenheimer

TBH my husband dragged me to so many movies with political overtones on their sleeve that I'm over it. Even Batman was fine but they had that unbelievable cringe "white privilege" line at the end, like they knew they captured you and had to leave the movie on that note even though it was literally fine the entire time before that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know who in their right mind would watch Barbie over Oppenheimer but we need to name and shame every man who does. Women i can understand. They grew up with barbies being shoved down their throats, they dont care for WW2 like we do, but if i see the barbie female to male splits be anything below an 90:10, i want names and their twitter handles.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Though this is humorous…

The Barbie movies looks truly awful.

I wouldn’t want to be attached to that.

Strange world, take a small children’s toy - make it pg-13? And push social politics in it…

K.
It’s like Disney in a nutshell these days (toy being a metaphor for children movies of course) It’s fucking sad, isn’t it?
Frances Ha and Lady bird were great, so I think barbie will be better than it looks (bad)

pel1300

Looks like MI7 will be #3 at the BO this weekend...and Sound of Freedom #4 (movie has made 85 million so far on a budget of $14 million)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I dont know who in their right mind would watch Barbie over Oppenheimer but we need to name and shame every man who does. Women i can understand. They grew up with barbies being shoved down their throats, they dont care for WW2 like we do, but if i see the barbie female to male splits be anything below an 90:10, i want names and their twitter handles.
Gay men exist bro lmao.

That's the target audience, little girls and gay men.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks like MI7 will be #3 at the BO this weekend...and Sound of Freedom #4 (movie has made 85 million so far on a budget of $14 million)
Checking advance ticketing, Barbie has a ton more screenings than Oppenheimer at my theater and every screening is full for both, so Barbie will probably take #1.

LordOfChaos

I would be 95+% confident that this was a gorilla marketing campaign creating the illusion of a competition between the two movies when both in reality win with vastly more meme attention

Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

I wonder how much of the memes we see that seem to spring up "organically" are like this. How many times have you seen an actor you haven't thought of in years come up in a meme loving them, and then they're shortly in a movie later?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I would be 95+% confident that this was a gorilla marketing campaign creating the illusion of a competition between the two movies when both in reality win with vastly more meme attention

I wonder how much of the memes we see that seem to spring up "organically" are like this. How many times have you seen an actor you haven't thought of in years come up in a meme loving them, and then they're shortly in a movie later?
Competing studios. Nolan left Warner Bros because of the HBO Max day 1 streaming debacle that tanked Tenet and went to Universal to release Oppenheimer. Warner Bros spited Nolan's departure by changing Barbie's release date to the same day as Oppenheimer's.

Laieon

Straight man here. I'm seeing it because Margot Robbie is hot as hell.

But mostly because it looks fun.

Looking forward to watching Oppenheimer immediately after. It's a damn shame no 70mm theaters are near me and all the "Imax" theaters are fake Imaxes in my city.

Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

The internet just wanted Doom X Animal Crossing again.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Barbie is a pink movie and a Nolan/Murphy movie is always solid gold. It looks like both movies will do great this summer 😎👍Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, such a fantastic example of perfect casting.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Barbie is a pink movie and a Nolan/Murphy movie is always solid gold. It looks like both movies will do great this summer 😎👍Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, such a fantastic example of perfect casting.
Wasn't always that way. Amy Schumer :lollipop-medical: was originally cast as Barbie, but she left the project when the studio rejected her script rewrites.

Different movie altogether now though!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm excited to see both. I rarely go to the movies but will likely go to both of these. Girlfriend wanted to go to one and I wanted to go to the other.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wasn't always that way. Amy Schumer :lollipop-medical: was originally cast as Barbie, but she left the project when the studio rejected her script rewrites.

Different movie altogether now though!
How the hell would a Barbie movie have Amy Schumer as the lead? Unless it was meant as a giant spoof like Scary Movie ragging on existing content?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm doing Barbenheimer on the 26th with a friend. Real IMAX film projection for Oppenheimer.
No clue what to expect with that Barbie movie. Grabbed some concert earplugs for Oppenheimer. Better not forget those at home.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I demand to know what the fuck where both, Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling thinking, when they decided to take on this this true-despair to all that exists?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Competing studios. Nolan left Warner Bros because of the HBO Max day 1 streaming debacle that tanked Tenet and went to Universal to release Oppenheimer. Warner Bros spited Nolan's departure by changing Barbie's release date to the same day as Oppenheimer's.
Oh shit, I didn't even know that.

Gonna see Opp first cuz it's the one I want to see. Then gonna see Barbie later because I can get laid after.

DKehoe

Watching both on Friday. I figure Oppenheimer first is the way to go with it being longer and more serious in tone. It’s also the one I’m more interested in. Although I really liked Gerwig’s adaptation of Little Women so I’m interested to see what she does with Barbie.

In the movie craze; I realized my greatest claim to fame is having kissed a woman who has an official Barbie made of her. Will not kiss and tell lol.

edit: It is a huge feat because I am absolutely awful with the ladies.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

In hindsight, Nolan was right about streaming. Day 1 releases were a stupid idea, even during covid. It undermined cinemas, something Nolan is a die-hard fighter for. Shame he left WB as that studio houses some of the best tools and personnel in the industry. We'll see how he does at Universal.

LordOfChaos

Each camp seeding their own memes without coordination would have the same effect.

I'm always sus of the rapid rise of memes being organic when it's attached to buying some shit, be it a movie or a celebrity coming back or whatever else. I've seen it a few times where all of a sudden there's a bunch of memes like hey does anyone remember the MUMMY with BRANDON FRASER and then lo and behold the person is soon revealed to be in a new movie

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Strange world, take a small children’s toy - make it pg-13? And push social politics in it…

It’s like Disney in a nutshell these days (toy being a metaphor for children movies of course) It’s fucking sad, isn’t it?

Not really, Barbie, like everything is political. I haven't really followed the film (it doesn't look great to me either) but the effects of Barbie dolls' ideals are well documented and both the manufacturer of the toys and the makers of this film have acknowledged this by trying to reflect a more diverse, inclusive and aspirational take on how women are represented.

I don't think I ever felt particularly represented in movies or toys when I was a kid, and I didn't particularly enjoy that it seemed that every time someone who looked a bit like me (skinny, glasses) was in a tv show or film they were negatively portrayed as boring, nerdy, socially inept. I think it's fairly well documented that women are more likely to be valued based on their appearance, while men may be less perfect, but be valued based on how clever or witty they are. That's not to say, obviously, that no women are valued based on their brains, that would be ridiculous. But the representations of women being valued for being strong, clever, good at sport, etc. Are still less common and we're frequently drawn instead to conclude that women are frequently valued based on their femininity and beauty alone.

So, I don't think it's that bad a thing that Barbie, which was an icon of an impossible beauty standard, is now being used to challenge stereotypes about women.

However, getting Margot Robbie, one of the hottest people in the world, to take the titular role might not be quite so progressive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah can't wait for a certain podcaster occult symbolism's analysis of both Barbie and Snowwhite =)

Top Bottom