• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bartop Arcade Machines

Isurus

I've been really interested in getting a MAME arcade machine for my man cave, so I've been exploring a bunch of options as of late. Essentially, looking to create that arcade feel in my house, while also having access to several games on one machine. Has anyone here done so recently? Any suggestions I found a UK company via a YouTube video, Tiny Arcade Machines (linked to below) that looks to have an awesome bartop machine. It's quite pricey though, especially to get to the US. Anyone with experience with this company?

Tiny Arcade Machines

BibiMaghoo

Do your explored options include making your own? There are a few options around for buying a cab and art to match it so you don't have to worry about woodwork though if you are up for that it gets even cheaper. It will also allow you to have much beefier internal components, (I use an i3 with a R9 270) and pick all your own controls, from colours, bulbs and shapes to which switches you want to use with them.

I promise you your room will be much better off for a custom machine, rather than an off the shelf one. You can spend more or less than they usually go for at your discretion, though that link looks more on the expensive side for what you actually get. You could build it for much less.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I've been really interested in getting a MAME arcade machine for my man cave, so I've been exploring a bunch of options as of late. Essentially, looking to create that arcade feel in my house, while also having access to several games on one machine. Has anyone here done so recently? Any suggestions I found a UK company via a YouTube video, Tiny Arcade Machines (linked to below) that looks to have an awesome bartop machine. It's quite pricey though, especially to get to the US. Anyone with experience with this company?

Tiny Arcade Machines
In my experience, pre-built machines are always WAAAY overpriced.

If it is an option for you, I encourage you to build your own. I did it with zero woodworking experience and I had never used power tools previously.

It is fun, addictive, challenging and educational to make it yourself, I found. And, as mentioned already, you can customize it exactly for your preferences, as there are many variables for an arcade cab.

eXistor

It's one of my life's goals to one day have an arcade cabinet in my home. I wouldn't know where to start though.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It's one of my life's goals to one day have an arcade cabinet in my home. I wouldn't know where to start though.
I didn’t either, but there are tons of online resources and step by step guides to help you. The scene is pretty big now. It’s not a quick hobby though, it takes a lot of time and research.

Camaway2

I have been eyeing Tiny Arcade site for a while as their models look awesome. What has kept me from pulling the trigger is the price.
I disagree however with the poster above saying that it's always best to build your own. I have seen plenty of homemade kits, they work fine but they look like, well, home made machines. They might be fine in a man cave or a hobbist garage, but my wife won't ever let me place it in our study or living room.
If you want something you can put in a home environment, blending with your interior design, you need to look into something with a professional finish.

Isurus

Thanks for the replies, everyone! To answer the questions about why not build one, it really comes down to time. Do I have the skill/expertise to do so? You bet. Do I have the time? Unfortunately, I do not. I'm fine paying a premium and compensating someone for their time into something, but it'd be great if someone here had experience and a review with this company before I plunk down that kind of cash.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I have been eyeing Tiny Arcade site for a while as their models look awesome. What has kept me from pulling the trigger is the price.
I disagree however with the poster above saying that it's always best to build your own. I have seen plenty of homemade kits, they work fine but they look like, well, home made machines. They might be fine in a man cave or a hobbist garage, but my wife won't ever let me place it in our study or living room.
If you want something you can put in a home environment, blending with your interior design, you need to look into something with a professional finish.
Of course there are horror cabs, just like anything, but if you have any sense of style or quality control, that isn’t a problem.

My cab looks professionally made and everyone that sees it in person is amazed that I actually made it.

Btw, I never said “it is always best”. I said “I encourage you to”. Of course, everyone’s circumstances are different.

Last edited:
googled bar top arcade and the two-player ones I've seen look like two adult males would be faaar too close and will have to sit at angles to literally avoid touching each other. Not sure if these are catering to kids in bars or what.

How are you gonna do dragon punches like that, you'd be elbowing the opponent.

Nikodemos

googled bar top arcade and the two-player ones I've seen look like two adult males would be faaar too close and will have to sit at angles to literally avoid touching each other. Not sure if these are catering to kids in bars or what.

How are you gonna do dragon punches like that, you'd be elbowing the opponent.
Yeah, the classic side-by-side arrangement is far too cramped, especially for bartop machines, which are notably smaller than uprights. The cocktail-style (opposite sides) player seating is much better (though evidently considerably limits the types of games you can play).

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, bartops are mainly for single player imo. I’m building one as a dedicated Pacman/Galaga/Donkey Kong machine at the moment. My upright is the multiplayer cab.

Bubba77

Ebay has tons of kits available which is how I made mine. And retropie is a great platform on a very affordable device. 2 player was ok on mine but a little cramped. I ended up giving it to a friend and having a full cabinet ordered from rec room masters.
Ive had retropie system and hyperspin using an old PC and i prefer the hyperspin experience. Its hard to learn but looks and plays great.

Klart

I picked one of those up second hand. It was a lot cheaper than a new one & saved me some serious shipping costs.

Quite happy with it. It's quite sturdy & the selection of games is excellent (to my pleasure lots of 90's brawlers that were never released outside of the arcade).

ZeMMiK

there are so many options now. I got bartops (3) and 1 japan candy. You can make with raspberry, you can choose pandora box, or a control panel with pandora. It is also nice to discover games who never saw before. Think what you want, play single player or also with an other person..then choose 2 player control panel. my bartop and portable setup.

Camaway2

Btw, I never said “it is always best”. I said “I encourage you to”. Of course, everyone’s circumstances are different.

You are right, I didn't paraphrase you correctly, apologies for that.

It's just that I have seen a fair share of homemade cabinets and none made me think "Well, that could stand in my living room".

Post a picture of yours, you made me curious!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You are right, I didn't paraphrase you correctly, apologies for that.

It's just that I have seen a fair share of homemade cabinets and none made me think "Well, that could stand in my living room".

Post a picture of yours, you made me curious!
Haha, no worries. There are definitely some shocking homemade cabinets that make you wonder “what the hell were they thinking?!”, but like I said, if you have a modicum of taste or sense, it shouldn’t go too bad.

This was my first cab and I had zero woodworking experience, not to mention a distinct lack of Photoshop skills, so I based my cab on a guys design and artwork (from Denmark, I think) who made his designs publically available. I changed colour scheme and dimensions and little bits and pieces.

O93I6rC.jpg

lRiOJjz.jpg

Pretty unclear photo. It looks great in person and switched on of course. I was shocked at how well it turned out for a first attempt. There are a couple of little things I would change, but that comes with experience.

It might not be to everyone’s taste, but I love the retro look. I don’t like the garish, angular, flashy cabs that everyone seems to be making now.

Last edited:

Camaway2

Haha, no worries. There are definitely some shocking homemade cabinets that make you wonder “what the hell were they thinking?!”, but like I said, if you have a modicum of taste or sense, it shouldn’t go too bad.

This was my first cab and I had zero woodworking experience, not to mention a distinct lack of Photoshop skills, so I based my cab on a guys design and artwork (from Denmark, I think) who made his designs publically available. I changed colour scheme and dimensions and little bits and pieces.

O93I6rC.jpg

lRiOJjz.jpg

Pretty unclear photo. It looks great in person and switched on of course. I was shocked at how well it turned out for a first attempt. There are a couple of little things I would change, but that comes with experience.

It might not be to everyone’s taste, but I love the retro look. I don’t like the garish, angular, flashy cabs that everyone seems to be making now.

Well, colour me impressed! It just need some chrome finishing on those round edged and it's perfect. Well done sir! Where did you get the marquee?

I just received this a few days ago. Paid $250 shipped (best offer accepted) on ebay. Pandora's box 5. 960 games. Pandora's Box 5

I recall seeing a lot of emulation problems with many of the games on there and as someone who glorifies MAME and other forms of emulation (Due note too, I dont just limit myself to 2D games. I play 3D games on MAME and other emulators as well which are still prone to 70% or more complete emulation). I cannot recommend Pandora's Box for anyone tbh.

AlucardDE

Neo Member
I have only had PB 5 for 2 days. I don't think I will play all 960 games on it, but the majority that I have played already (about 25 so far) have been pretty spot on. Now I know that is a small number compared to what is there, but so far I think its been worth the price. So far the neogeo and capcom games have been spot on. The ones that I have tried so far that have spotty to bad have been ms pacman, all donkey kongs (missing pieces of sound) and nba jam (choppy) Anyway I think there will be enough games out of the 960 to make it worth my while. I have heard of people putting additional games on this thing. I heard its not an easy process, but If I can figure it out, maybe I can replace the roms that are not performing well.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well, colour me impressed! It just need some chrome finishing on those round edged and it's perfect. Well done sir! Where did you get the marquee?
Thanks. I got the marquee design from the same guy I got the cabinet concept from (the Denmark guy I mentioned). I changed the colouring and got it printed by a member of an arcade forum I go to.

Camaway2

Ok, I have been thinking about this thread for a while and I think I need a two player bartop arcade machine for my living room, so I can introduce my son to old school gaming. I don't have however either the skills or the time to built it myself.
Does anybody know of reputable shops cabinets them in Europe?

I know "Tiny Arcade" (already quoted above) but they are quite pricey.

ContraCode

Neo Member
I agree with many others on building your own. You'll save a mega ton going this route and it's a blast picking out the design, look and hardware. It use to be running on GameEx, but I eventually moved over to a RetroPie build. Mine is modest and you could get a lot more crazy with graphics and the marquee. It has worked flawlessly though and is always a lot of fun =) I also highly recommend the X-Arcade TankStick.

n0razi

You can do my lazy version:
- X-Arcade Tankstick ($150)
- Raspberry Pi 3 ($40)
- Spare 24-42" HDTV (Free-$200)
- Stand (Make a cheap one with 2x4's or spend around $60 and get a prebuilt one)
Throw it all on a rolling cart and install Retropie, voila!

EDIT: basically like the guy above my posts's without any of the fancy woodwork

You can buy TV stands like this:
41sdg1V0ONL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Last edited:
Building my own is not an option for me. Way too much work and I don't have that kind of time, patience or workspace.

What's the best pre-built arcade under $2000?

The tiny arcades look awesome but I can't figure out which model is the best, most flexible and can play the most number of top notch games.

Last edited:

ZeMMiK

It is what is inside, the more powerfull the smoother it runs. Go for a 'real' Pandora 5 from 3a you have 960 games and runs good. then look if you like the outside and if you want 2 player or 1 player etc etc....

waxer

There is gameroomsolutions as well. Apparently the quality of their kits is better than was. I have most my parts now for rp3 setup. Just need to get motivated to build

ZeMMiK

image hosting

Pandora 4 is not bad but this one is much better and no change of corruption like a Pi (you have to shutdown..not just power off). Probably you do not want CRT anymore??

vewlix_c-700x700.png

If you have 2000 to spend than a vewlix is the most wanted cabinet.

BANGS

Banned
I keep telling myself to build an arcade machine for my game room. But then I think about how silly it is to stand up and stare at a crappy crt to play games just for nostalgia gimmick when i could sit comfortably and play them in HD instead. But then I go back to thinking how cool an arcade machine is... I can't choose!

I keep telling myself to build an arcade machine for my game room. But then I think about how silly it is to stand up and stare at a crappy crt to play games just for nostalgia gimmick when i could sit comfortably and play them in HD instead. But then I go back to thinking how cool an arcade machine is... I can't choose!

Sounds like you need a viewlix cabinet my friend lol

Bubba77

I recommend rec room masters for anyone thinking about a full sized. Here is a link to how mine looks. I went with hyperspin and while it was a lot of work I love it. I previously did a bartop with retropie and thought it was ok, Im sure it has improved since then.

Isurus

I ended up placing an order with Tiny Arcade Machines. Went with a MAME arcade version. Expensive, for sure, but I'm ok compensating someone for hard work and time, especially when I simply don't have the time available to do it myself. It'll be several week until it arrives, but I'll post pics and a review as soon as it does.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I used to have an old SF2 cabinet I turned into one 8 years ago now? This was when first version of hyperspin ever launched. Had a big CRT inside and was a nightmare to move and store. The new LCD cabinets look great form wise but. Tech's a ton better now to. Will be looking into one when I have a dedicated games room at my next place again, the time spent around one when having some drinks is immense. Can't recommend enough to anyone actually thinking about it.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Y'know, I was wondering about a bit of arcade cabinet history.

I remember reading that arcade owners at the time (1980s) tended to go for cabinets where the player would stand (which could/would eventually become uncomfortable), instead of sitting on a chair, to prevent people from hogging the machines.

Syriel

Tiny Arcade Machines

Completely overpriced for what you get, considering all the games are pirated ROMs.

I just received this a few days ago. Paid $250 shipped (best offer accepted) on ebay. Pandora's box 5. 960 games. Pandora's Box 5

It is what is inside, the more powerfull the smoother it runs. Go for a 'real' Pandora 5 from 3a you have 960 games and runs good. then look if you like the outside and if you want 2 player or 1 player etc etc....

image hosting

Pandora 4 is not bad but this one is much better and no change of corruption like a Pi (you have to shutdown..not just power off). Probably you do not want CRT anymore??

And more pirated ROMs. Honestly, if you bought a Pandora you got cheated. If you bought it off eBay, you might as well file a complaint with eBay for counterfeit goods and get a full refund.

Last edited:

ZeMMiK

Completely overpriced for what you get, considering all the games are pirated ROMs.

And more pirated ROMs. Honestly, if you bought a Pandora you got cheated. If you bought it off eBay, you might as well file a complaint with eBay for counterfeit goods and get a full refund.

All my PS4 games and other consoles I have original, but Arcade PCB's have even suicidebatteries and cost 500 dollar in average ( the good ones), so yes it is pirated,but most games you cannot even buy any more or the parent companies are not even existing....sowhattheheck# it is more an archieve for me.

Discourse

I keep a jailbroken iPad 1 loaded with MAME around permanently used with an ION iCade. It's kept me from building one of these years ago.

TheWatcher

Banned
I have always been interested in a home arcade machine myself, but I have compromised. I ended up spending around 250 dollars on a modded Crystal Xbox (that includes Coin Ops 5) and an X-Arcade double arcade stick. Really pleased with the results. Still though those Bartop machines look very impressive!

Syriel

All my PS4 games and other consoles I have original, but Arcade PCB's have even suicidebatteries and cost 500 dollar in average ( the good ones), so yes it is pirated,but most games you cannot even buy any more or the parent companies are not even existing....sowhattheheck# it is more an archieve for me.

If you're going to pirate, why pay some company hundreds or thousands for it?

Your argument boils down to "it's too expensive to buy the originals so I'm going to pirate," but then you argue that one should pay someone to provide the pirated ROMs. If you really believe your first argument, why not just download them yourself rather than paying someone hundreds or thousands to copy a hard drive and drop into a bartop or joystick? Not to mention, if they're openly selling you pirated goods, they're probably also going extremely cheap on the hardware, and as the pandora devices show, don't give a crap about emulation quality.

I have always been interested in a home arcade machine myself, but I have compromised. I ended up spending around 250 dollars on a modded Crystal Xbox (that includes Coin Ops 5) and an X-Arcade double arcade stick. Really pleased with the results. Still though those Bartop machines look very impressive!

Spend a little time learning about how to mod an Xbox and you'll find it's rather simple. It's also a lot less than paying $250 for a used Xbox. ;)

TheWatcher

Banned
If you're going to pirate, why pay some company hundreds or thousands for it?

Your argument boils down to "it's too expensive to buy the originals so I'm going to pirate," but then you argue that one should pay someone to provide the pirated ROMs. If you really believe your first argument, why not just download them yourself rather than paying someone hundreds or thousands to copy a hard drive and drop into a bartop or joystick? Not to mention, if they're openly selling you pirated goods, they're probably also going extremely cheap on the hardware, and as the pandora devices show, don't give a crap about emulation quality.

Spend a little time learning about how to mod an Xbox and you'll find it's rather simple. It's also a lot less than paying $250 for a used Xbox. ;)

I meant combined with the X Arcade.

Top Bottom