• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman #50 The King is dead?

thequestion

After mad hype building within the Batman comic universe, with the payoff to finally happen in Batman#50, the braintrust at DC got cold feet.

Big mistake by DC and Tom Kong? It seemed to me like this would of been a huge win for DC comics, especially in sales.

Or did DC do the right thing in keeping the status quo?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can you spoiler for me what you're referring to, not very much in the know but I'd like to give a super uninformed opinion on the matter with a bit more information!

TTOOLL

Spoiler please.

Edit: just read it...holy shit I would be furious if I were following this. I actually stopped reading after the proposal.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So from what I've gathered reading around:

It seems like Batman and Catwoman were supposed to get married, and ultimately Catwoman decides that she can't marry Bruce...because Bruce isn't able to fully be Batman if he's a happily married man. He's still that hurt kid in the alleyway looking at his dead parents wanting revenge and not a grown man able to balance fighting crime and being a husband. By marrying Bruce she's kind of killing Batman, and she wasn't able to do it.

So #50 seems like it's kind of this pulling the rug out from the story from what I can gather. It also sounds like somehow Bane may have played a hand in putting doubt and fear into this whole thing which ultimately led to Catwoman not being able or willing to marry Bruce.

It sounds like this Batman storyline that Tom King was putting together was a 100 episode thing, and this chapter 50 was supposed to be a big thing with Batman and Catwoman getting married, but by not getting married it basically sabotages the plot that was building up to chapter 50?

It sounds like fans are upset because the story was setting Batman up to go in a new direction, but chapter 50 basically just reset the storyline.

NYT Article that Spoils #50

Someone on Reddit also gave this explanation for why people are upset:

"Batman #50 was the culmination of writer's Tom King's first fifty issues of his 100-issue storyline. Back in issue #24, Batman proposed to Catwoman and, after a storyline explaining a big mistake in his past, Catwoman accepted. After spending a good 20 issues trying to get everyone to understand and accept this, we ultimately have Catwoman deciding to leave Bats at the altar as she is convinced by her friend Holly Robinson that a happy Batman can't be an effective Batman. At the end of the issue, we find out that it was planned out by Bane, who has apparently orchestrated every last storyline, even unconnected crossover storylines like "Night of the Monster Men" and "The Button" just for this moment."

Anyone who actually knows what's going on can correct me. I'm sure I didn't get that all right.

Last edited:
So from what I've gathered reading around:

It seems like Batman and Catwoman were supposed to get married, and ultimately Catwoman decides that she can't marry Bruce...because Bruce isn't able to fully be Batman if he's a happily married man. He's still that hurt kid in the alleyway looking at his dead parents wanting revenge and not a grown man able to balance fighting crime and being a husband. By marrying Bruce she's kind of killing Batman, and she wasn't able to do it.

So #50 seems like it's kind of this pulling the rug out from the story from what I can gather. It also sounds like somehow Bane may have played a hand in putting doubt and fear into this whole thing which ultimately led to Catwoman not being able or willing to marry Bruce.

It sounds like this Batman storyline that Tom King was putting together was a 100 episode thing, and this chapter 50 was supposed to be a big thing with Batman and Catwoman getting married, but by not getting married it basically sabotages the plot that was building up to chapter 50?

It sounds like fans are upset because the story was setting Batman up to go in a new direction, but chapter 50 basically just reset the storyline.

NYT Article that Spoils #50

Someone on Reddit also gave this explanation for why people are upset:

"Batman #50 was the culmination of writer's Tom King's first fifty issues of his 100-issue storyline. Back in issue #24, Batman proposed to Catwoman and, after a storyline explaining a big mistake in his past, Catwoman accepted. After spending a good 20 issues trying to get everyone to understand and accept this, we ultimately have Catwoman deciding to leave Bats at the altar as she is convinced by her friend Holly Robinson that a happy Batman can't be an effective Batman. At the end of the issue, we find out that it was planned out by Bane, who has apparently orchestrated every last storyline, even unconnected crossover storylines like "Night of the Monster Men" and "The Button" just for this moment."

Anyone who actually knows what's going on can correct me. I'm sure I didn't get that all right.

Wait, wait wait...

Didn't Marvel already do this a month or so ago with their marriage storyline?

Basoes

Marvel got tons of shit for the marriage retcon with spider-man, tons, I can see Batman getting it almost as bad

Top Bottom