• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Beyond Was a TV series ahead of its time?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Seeing the current series that are garbage I remembered the good series of the 90's and 00's, including the one that I watched a lot

A series that I consider very good, even though I'm not a fan of comics, but I remembered the Batman series from the 90's and This is the one that I liked the most, due to its OST, its Cyberpunk atmosphere.

The series was short-lived but it was very good in my opinion.

Batman-Beyond-Bruce-Wayne-Terry-McGinnis.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It did the passing of the mantle to add youth and diversity before it was the norm. The reveal he is Bruce's kid is shit though NGL.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It did the passing of the mantle to add youth and diversity before it was the norm. The reveal he is Bruce's kid is shit though NGL.
Really? I never watched it that closely to pick that up. Was it from Talia, Barbara, or some random woman/machine/clone tank/parallel dimension/alien?

Cravis

I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as TAS. The intro and music was fuckmazing.

The episodes that tied back to the TAS were great.

Return of the Joker directors cut was really well done IMO. Thank god WB actually released that and didn’t leave us stuck with the censored version.

Absolutely fantastic show and the tie-ins to Justice League were so cool back in the day.
As the powers that be endlessly recycle content, I look forward to its eventual reboot.

RavageX

Really? I never watched it that closely to pick that up. Was it from Talia, Barbara, or some random woman/machine/clone tank/parallel dimension/alien?
It was explained on the Justice League show if I remember right. Something about replacing/overwriting DNA.

FunkMiller

As a Batman fan, it shames me to admit this, but I hated Batman Beyond. Whiny teen future Batman always grated on me. Mind you, I'm one of those people who only thinks Bruce Wayne should be Batman, so not keen on any of the spin off Batmen.

Also, Robin sucks. Come at me, bro.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, I actually prefer Beyond to TAS. I realize it's probably just nostalgia speaking because I was a little kid when BB was airing, and I have a lot of nostalgia for Kids WB, but Beyond is my favorite Batman series.

But Teen Titans (the original, that is) is by far the best DC cartoon. Huge part of the reason I like Robin more than Batman.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I waaaaay preferred Batman Beyond to "normal" Batman. That and Spiderman were the good cartoons of the late 90s according to my undeveloped brain.

HoodWinked

Batman Beyond was so damn good.

The villains were some of the most inventive so it's mindnumbing to see the post above.

Shit was pushing some really fucked up things for a kids cartoon, like human-animal-bio-engineering, the way the terrific trio storyline ends, Talia al Ghul (lol), A.I. and the Toxic Waste dude. But also the royal flush gang was fucking awesome and you gotta commend the show for not using Joker as a crutch/rehash instead invented new villains to set itself apart with the exception of the return of joker movie.

Blond

Banned
Batman Beyond was so damn good.

The villains were some of the most inventive so it's mindnumbing to see the post above.

Shit was pushing some really fucked up things for a kids cartoon, like human-animal-bio-engineering, the way the terrific trio storyline ends, Talia al Ghul (lol), A.I. and the Toxic Waste dude. But also the royal flush gang was fucking awesome and you gotta commend the show for not using Joker as a crutch/rehash instead invented new villains to set itself apart with the exception of the return of joker movie.
True! I’m 32 and bought the box set recently and I LOVE the show. Especially with how much Batman media has relied on the joker since The Dark Knight it’s nice to watch Batman knowing he isn’t there that when I finished season 3 and watched the movie it actually felt special to see him.

tsumake

Season 1 was great, however season 2 crashed and burned

Season one had some great writing. The episode that riffed the Fantastic Four was legitimately dark rather than “dark.”

There was a real steep dip in quality in season two for some reason.

Last edited:

RavageX

As a Batman fan, it shames me to admit this, but I hated Batman Beyond. Whiny teen future Batman always grated on me. Mind you, I'm one of those people who only thinks Bruce Wayne should be Batman, so not keen on any of the spin off Batmen.

Also, Robin sucks. Come at me, bro.
I've always felt this way too, meaning I don't like any other people in the role of batman, and I don't really like different types of batmen...if that makes sense. In my mind I always think of TAS as batman. It took a lot for me to come around to Brave and the Bold...but it grew on me. Some really good stories were in that show. Took a while but I kinda liked Beyond when I finally gave it a chance.

Banned
has anyone a clue why they changed the title of Batman Beyond to "Batman of the Future" in most of the non-english speaking world? fucking weird... they replaced an english word with an english sentence... for non english speakers... super weird.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think it was very novel - producing a cartoon that took an entire generation's cartoon hero, aging him, and pretty much sidelining him while introducing a new version. Introducing kids to a next level of serialization. Beyond that premise however, and maybe this is because I watched it many years after it (and BATS) came out, its thunder was lost on me.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I thought this thread was about Beyond Belief hosted by Jonathan Frakes

hammered weekend gaf let’s go!

Top Bottom