• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman the Brave and the Bold aired 5 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Batman-The-Brave-and-The-Bold-batman-8650246-1280-1024.jpg

Hands down my fav. DC animated show, it had it all: Colorful animation, great humor, good action, and best of all fun and OUTRAGEOUS characters.

The show's already available on DVD collecting all 3 seasons and the finale was excellently pulled off, furthermore certain episodes had nods to the comics, like the Superdickery episode, the reference to Japanese Batman, TEAMING UP WITH SPACE GHOST, GODDAMN RAINBOW BATMAN, the many references to the actual Doom Patrol comic, Grey and Blue, the rather interesting Birds of Prey song, and of course THE OUTRAGEOUS AQUAMAN WHO PUNCHES A FREAKIN' COMET! A COMET! It helps that he's voiced by John DiMaggio who excellently hammed up Aquaman's explosive and charismatic personality.

...and that's just a handful of the great moments in this show. The appearances of obscure comic book characters was a great treat and they were very well utilized.

The series also got a Wii and NDS game, both of which are pretty good especially if you enjoyed the show. The NDS game is one of my brother's fav. games on the system.
I sadly haven't read the comic book series of the show, something I should really rectify soon.

Even after it ended it is still easy to get into and watch the (good) episodes again and have a good time watching it.

Chill of the Night was secretly a great B:TAS episode.

That's the nicest thing I've got to say about the series. That, and I appreciate for the most hardcore Bat-fans, they enjoyed how jam-packed it was with winks and references to prior media, like the episode which was pretty much one infamous Superdickery moment after another.

I could not really get into the show, though. Maybe I'll give it another chance, I think it's on Netflix.

I never really got to into it because of how campy it was but I do appreciate its usage of a wide range of the source material. Chill of the Night is a great episode.

Yazuka

WHAT!? It's seriously been five years already?
Damn. Time sure does fly. I had some trouble getting into the show, but after Mayhem of The Music Meister I was hooked. Wish I could find the Swedish episode of Music Meister.

jph139

Five years? Really? Jesus... so it's been five years since I watched some of those episodes. I should look into getting the DVDs!

DominoKid

i didn't really like it when it was on, especially fresh off The Batman which i liked a lot.

but i need them to go ahead and put the rest of the episodes on Netflix. it's damn good.

tearsofash

I haven't watched any Batman animation since the original, and a little bit of Beyond. Is this a good place to jump back in? I've heard some of those animated movies are good as well.

ReiGun

Best Batman series
Truth and honesty right here.

I'm just amazed this show exists as it does, given the push by both DC and fans to turn Batman into nothing but a sullen, miserable bastard. It was such a breath of fresh air having a Batman who had fun with his job and had actual relationships with the other heroes in the DCU beyond "constant condescension and grumpiness with occasion spots of being a decent guy to hang around."

Speaking of the DCU, I love what a love letter this show was not only to Batman, but DC's entire history. This show actually pushed me to start reading comics because I loved the characters so much and wanted to see more of them.

Also, regardless of what you think of him in other media, it is impossible to dislike Aquaman in this show. Impossible. If you do, you have no soul.

desertdroog

I only experienced this due to a recommendation in a thread last year about good DC animations on Netflix.

I am in the middle of Season 2 and loving every minute of it. I watch it on Saturday and Sunday mornings when I first get up and make breakfast. It is an homage to my youth of Saturday morning cartoons and how awesome it was to have great animation growing up in the 70's-80's.

I have Batman Beyond lined up next, I've never seen that one either.

Using Netflix to regress to a few hours of no responsibility has been a boon to enjoying the weekend mornings. It started with Transformers Prime and the Avengers animation, for me.

Crocodile

1366116815_tumblr_lzu0cj22J11rp8pduo1_500.gif

I really miss this show. Beware the Batman just doesn't compare :(

Best Batman series

*Puts up Flame Shield*

Real talk, as much critical acclaim as the original Batman: TAS gets and probably deserves, I enjoyed Brave and the Bold and Beyond more than the classic show.

Goldrush

Love it, but I'm not sure if it's because it's a great show or because it's pretty much back-to-back fanservice.

For an slightly on-topic statement, I pictured that this is the Batman that Grant Morrison would have wanted to end up with if he didn't have to reset the series to status quo. It's a Batman cleared of his emotional baggage and loner status that he worked toward throughout his run. Not to mention that Batman Inc. played it cheeky many times as well.

explodet

I am in the middle of Season 2 and loving every minute of it. I watch it on Saturday and Sunday mornings when I first get up and make breakfast. It is an homage to my youth of Saturday morning cartoons and how awesome it was to have great animation growing up in the 70's-80's.
One of the show runners has gone on record to say they wanted to make it the show they thought they were watching when they were kids.

Goliath

I enjoyed Batman the animated series, Batman Beyond, The Batman and now Beware of Batman but I never fully got into Brave and the Bold.

Boogiepop

It's funny, because I was right in line with the "WTF are they doing, this looks dumb, just trying to get kids interested in other DC characters through Batman" people when I saw this first coming out, but I gave it a shot when the first episode came out and I figured out exactly what it was and it clicked. It's a love letter to campy Batman and all sorts of comic history, both big and small. Such an awesome show, and so cool that it got to do as much as it did.

Honestly, all the Batman shows have had their place and been awesome in my book.
The Batman was bad enough that I just like to pretend it doesn't exist
. Is Beware the Batman any good? I haven't gotten around to checking that one out yet.

I like it as much as TAS for what they are.

The only thing that might give Brave and the Bold an edge is that it had a distinct Batman who wasn't just Grumpy Cat

Thank you for reminding me that I need to check out the Wii game. Always wanted to play it (sprites!) but never got around. Now may be the time.

I haven't watched any Batman animation since the original, and a little bit of Beyond. Is this a good place to jump back in? I've heard some of those animated movies are good as well.

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are basically the continuation of Batman: TAS and the Superman animated series. You should definitely watch those next, and I know for sure those are on Netflix.

And if you haven't seen it yet, watch Mask of the Phantasm.

I was going to make my own LTTP thread for this series, but OP has it covered.

Just finished Chill of the Night. Holy shit.

IMO, this is easily the best super-hero animated series ever made.

Lijik

I loved this show, the right amount of camp for me and some segments are the closest I'll ever get to a Kamandi animated series. JLU was this weird middle ground between the more serious TAS and this show and some episodes were harder to get into because of that. I have to rewatch the original run of JL I dont remember much about it

Their 40s mobster "How ya doin Sonnyjim!" Joker was such a fun interpretation

I don't know if you guys know, but Season 1 is out on Bluray and it looks GREAT! The vibrant artstyle is really enhanced by that HD quality.

But yeah, absolutely fantastic series. I kinda wish they got Diedrich Bader to voice Batman in the Lego movie, I think he would've been even funnier.

MisterHero

I checked out the team-up with Space Ghost. It was a little weird because the voice from Coast to Coast sounded like the accurate recreation. Maybe I just watched the wrong classic episodes though.

I like there's a sense of continuity (Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing over a series of non-related adventures). As with most adapted cartoons, the series had its limits. They butchered the Emperor Joker storyline, for one.

LaNaranja

I also love this show. I never saw it when it was on but I have watched episodes now and then on Netflix. Batman being a campy asshole is the best Batman. I hate it when they try to take him too seriously. This show and The Lego Movie perfectly nailed what I love about Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom