• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle of upper mid-range OLEDs: LG C4 vs. Samsung S90D (Rtings)

Bojji

Samsung cockslapped LG overall. In gaming, it's closer, but the S90D still wins.

Lg is stagnating in mid segment. C4 is barely better than my B2, slightly more bright and with +24Hz.

B4 is on par with B2 when it comes to PQ (B3 was worse) and has 2x more HDMI 2.1 ports.

There is no reason to upgrade to any LG other than G series.

QD OLEDs are nicer but I don't have any confidence in Samsung when it comes to burn in prevention.

Lg is stagnating in mid segment. C4 is barely better than my B2, slightly more bright and with +24Hz.

B4 is on par with B2 when it comes to PQ (B3 was worse) and has 2x more HDMI 2.1 ports.

There is no reason to upgrade to any LG other than G series.

QD OLEDs are nicer but I don't have any confidence in Samsung when it comes to burn in prevention.

Yeah, and they might have not even introduced MLA in the G series if QD-OLED didn't force their hands. I wanna test the S95D and the G4 but I'm dreading the trouble of having to return another big TV

Xtib81

Without watching, the s90d has the edge. Lg's c series is actually quite disappointing. There's a huge gap with the G series whereas samsung's 90 and 95d are quite similar.

Last edited:

Xtib81

How is the Dolby Vision content on the S90D?
Lol there's always this one guy bringing up the same argument. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference with classic HDR. And I have an LG OLED and not a Samsung but I've never understood this argument.

Last edited:

willothedog

Lol there's always this one guy bringing up the same argument. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference with classic HDR. And I have an LG OLED and not a Samsung but I've never understood this argument.

DV won the dynamic HDR war and Samsung stubbornly stayed with HDR10+ only. They use other Dolby standards but not Vision, it makes no sense.

Meicyn

Gold Member
You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference with classic HDR.
Lmao, what. The difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is very apparent, to the point that a common complaint online is that Dolby Vision looks dim comparatively. There are reasons for that, of course. Regardless, I can swap between the two formats with a few clicks on my Apple TV and see an immediate difference.

This is on par to claiming that you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between Dolby Surround vs DTS Neural:X. The two technologies upmix very differently.

Robochobo

I just bought a Samsung q60 55in for 179 am I already dead?
Not even mini-LED or properly backlit. It was over before it began. However for $179 I wouldn't sweat it as that seems like a really good price. Decent TV, just not comparable to the higher end QN90 models.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
DV won the dynamic HDR war and Samsung stubbornly stayed with HDR10+ only. They use other Dolby standards but not Vision, it makes no sense.
More options are always better, yes. But if you want the best image quality in this case even if you compare LGs DV vs. Samsungs HDR10+ there's no way to win. The S90D has way better color volume, brightness and viewing angles.

But yes, Samsung is idiotic by not adopting DV.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Without watching, the s90d has the edge. Lg's c series is actually quite disappointing. There's a huge gap with the G series whereas samsung's 90 and 95d are quite similar.
What’s primarily different between the C4 and G4?

Barneyco

Does anyone know if the S90C still has the panel lottery between WOLED and QDOLED? I was looking at the 65" and can't seem to find any info.

Xtib81

What’s primarily different between the C4 and G4?
The panel. The G series is using their MLA tech, which makes the screen much brighter, improves viewing angles and colours. The G series also has their latest processor alpha 11.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I've always had something against Samsung TVs that might not even be valid in 2024 but I still can't shake it. Maybe it's the perceived cheapness of the build in past TVs, the overhype the brand used to have, or the oversaturation they leaned towards before calibration.

As for the video, it seems like LG are intentionally tanking the C line. When the C4 has issues the B4 and G4 don't, it's hard to think anything else.

The video doesn't touch on it, but G-Sync Pulsar should be a HUGE thing for PC games and I'm surprised there isn't more focus on it. I tried to look into if the S90D supports it, and found this issue with nVidia cards that is especially important when this thread is in Gaming: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/s90d-s90dd-oled#test_179

The pixels section also says that the unique subpixel layout makes it not very good for PC screens, having an effect on text because ClearType can't adjust to a triangular layout. You will also end up with a green line at the top of the screen and a purple one at the bottom thanks to the triangular subpixels.

In the rest of the written erview

And for my final thought, I hope the guy in the video gets more practice or some tips before his next video. 0:00 is awkward and 1:!5 makes him look like a serial killer. Could have done with a retake there.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I feel like LG will make next years C series include all the G series bells and whistles as they've held the crown for a long time in the mid range.

TrebleShot

Got a G2 in the living room and C2 in the office, the G2 is much better than the C2 but the C2 is still incredible in lower lights.

Im not interested in these until they go much higher with hZ or there is a significant difference in picture quality.

Top Bottom