• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
I think any and all Beta trolling is wholeheartedly EA/DICE-endorsed.

I'm positive it is at this point. You'd think the marketing team would keep the trolling in check, but they don't seem to care.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's nitpicky, but they really need to put in the final muzzle flashes. The placeholders look awful compared to everything else.

Vard

Finally placed my preorder on Amazon, using some gift card money I've accrued. Hopefully they provide some bonus preorder credit like they did for BC2!

Kyaw

Any of the flight-bros decided on a flight stick yet?

I'm having a hard time deciding between Saitek Cyborg X (F.L.Y 5) and Logitech 3D Extreeeme Pro.

Decide for me, GAF!

desu

SapientWolf said:
This one still works:

http://twitter.com/#!/kahluafan

Not sure what the difference between the URLs means. I tend to avoid twitter.

Noticed the same thing, but just like you I usually avoid twitter so no clue what the difference means.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kyaw said:

I'm having a hard time deciding between Saitek Cyborg X (F.L.Y 5) and Logitech 3D Extreeeme Pro.

Decide for me, GAF!
Out of those two you want the Logitech because it has a twist rudder. Otherwise, flying the choppers is going to be a huge pain.

I ended up going with the Thrustmaster HOTAS X. The throttle is nice and you get 10 buttons and a view hat on the sticks so you don't have to fumble around with a lot of buttons on the base. Then you get programmable modifiers on top of that and a knob to adjust the joystick tension.

LordCanti

Kyaw said:

Decide for me, GAF!

I've got a 50% coupon for Logitech's store, so I'll probably just grab the 3D pro for $15 and see if it isn't complete garbage. I wanted the Thrustmaster Hotas, but it went from $30 to $50 on Amazon and....well, screw that :p

Sethos

Banned
Kyaw said:

Decide for me, GAF!

For the love of god don't get anywhere near the Cyborg. I have that heaving pile of epic cow dung sitting in the basement. I had it for a week before I decided to go back to my Logitech.

The spring system they used is terrible.

Kyaw

LordCanti said:
I've got a 50% coupon for Logitech's store, so I'll probably just grab the 3D pro for $15 and see if it isn't complete garbage. I wanted the Thrustmaster Hotas, but it went from $30 to $50 on Amazon and....well, screw that :p

I'm leaning more towards this because of the simple-ness of it. Logitech stuff has never failed on me but they aren't the best either.

SapientWolf said:
Out of those two you want the Logitech because it has a twist rudder. Otherwise, flying the choppers is going to be a huge pain.

I ended up going with the Thrustmaster HOTAS X. The throttle is nice and you get 10 buttons and a view hat on the sticks so you don't have to fumble around with a lot of buttons on the base. Then you get programmable modifiers on top of that and a knob to adjust the joystick tension.

I thought the Saitek stick had twist/rudder control?

I'm not liking the Thrustmaster one since the throttle might be too fiddly and harder to adjust the throttle accurately. The Logitech one has a small throttle flip control that can be changed easily and accurately.

Sethos said:
For the love of god don't get anywhere near the Cyborg. I have that heaving pile of epic cow dung sitting in the basement. I had it for a week before I decided to go back to my Logitech.

The spring system they used is terrible.

It looks SOOOOO cool though! :p

Alright, i'll get the Logitech 3D Extreeeme Pro then.

I have recently got a baby-girl that i am proud of, but dont think i wont be able to spend that much time on BF3. Probably a little now and then when she sleeps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kyaw said:
I'm leaning more towards this because of the simple-ness of it. Logitech stuff has never failed on me but they aren't the best either.

I'm not liking the Thrustmaster one since the throttle might be too fiddly and harder to adjust the throttle accurately. The Logitech one has a small throttle flip control that can be changed easily and accurately.

You might be right about the twist rudder on the Saitek. They just don't advertise the feature on the Amazon page.

As for the throttle, more play means more precision. The little flip on the Logitech might not give you the full control over your engine that you might want for bombing runs or helicopter altitude adjustments. But to each his own.

DarkChild

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
I have recently got a baby-girl that i am proud of, but dont think i wont be able to spend that much time on BF3. Probably a little now and then when she sleeps.
Congratulations for a little girl, mate :)

Kyaw

SapientWolf said:
You might be right about the twist rudder on the Saitek. They just don't advertise the feature on the Amazon page.

As for the throttle, more play means more precision. The little flip on the Logitech might not give you the full control over your engine that you might want for bombing runs or helicopter altitude adjustments. But to each his own.

Dunno, i feel like the bigger throttle stick might be harder to judge what throttle 'percentage' the stick might be at.

I really have no experience with flight sticks that i can relate to or have some idea of.

Nostalgia~4ever said:

Recently meaning just a few days ago or a few months ago? Because you were really hyped/active about BF3 and playing of it. :)

And congrats too. :D

DTKT

Kyaw said:

I can confirm that the HOTAS X throttle is a bit annoying for precise adjustments. Still an awesome thing to hold though. :p

Menelaus

Banned
the bigger the throttle, the easier it is to make micro adjustments. not like you'll be flying long enough to worry about that, though!

Kyaw

Nostalgia~4ever said:
just a few days ago, 6 weeks too early :p

thanks

Ah i see! Have fun with it. :p

the bigger the throttle, the easier it is to make micro adjustments. not like you'll be flying long enough to worry about that, though!

Oh you! Just wait and see. :)

Sethos

Banned
Menelaus said:

In theory, yes.

Take the Cyborg X, pretty big throttle handle but it's so unresponsive.

Logitech 3D, tiny tiny plastic flap but it's super accurate and you won't have any trouble micro tuning the throttle.

woober

As interested as I am in getting a flight stick for BF3, I'm wondering how practical it will actually be for me. Does it stand stably on the table or do you have to clamp it onto your desk? And then there's the fact that I have to push away my keyboard for flight stick room. I'm sure I won't last long on the jet too... soooo.

Kyaw

woober said:
As interested as I am in getting a flight stick for BF3, I'm wondering how practical it will actually be for me. Does it stand stably on the table or do you have to clamp it onto your desk? And then there's the fact that I have to push away my keyboard for flight stick room. I'm sure I won't last long on the jet too... soooo.

No need to clamp it.

I have a good amount of space between my left hand on WASD-----numpad-----righthand mouse. I can put the flightstick there.

Or you can be a dedicated pilot that does nothing but transport troops/bomb targets.

LordCanti

woober said:

Depends on the stick. I've watched youtube reviews of the Logitech 3D, and it seems to move all over the place. I'm planning to just use some velcro squares to hold it where I want it on my desk. The Thrustmaster model seems really stable, because it's extremely bulky.

Sethos

Banned
LordCanti said:
Depends on the stick. I've watched youtube reviews of the Logitech 3D, and it seems to move all over the place. I'm planning to just use some velcro squares to hold it where I want it on my desk. The Thrustmaster model seems really stable, because it's extremely bulky.

The 3D isn't a stick you're supposed to one-hand. It's meant for you to grasp with both hands, one on the stick and the other around the base using your thumb and index finger on the throttle, palm wrapped around the base and then you're basically pushing it down. If you manage to move it in that position, you're doing something horribly wrong. There's also a metallic base - Even on its own it has weight.

EDIT: Holy missing words batman, way too tired here :p

LordCanti

Sethos said:
The 3D isn't a stick you're supposed to one-hand. It's meant for you to grasp with both hands, one on the stick and the other around the base using your thumb and index finger on the throttle, palm wrapped around the base and then you're basically pushing it down. If you manage to move it in that position, you're doing something horribly wrong. There's also a metallic base - Even on its own it has weight.

EDIT: Holy missing words batman, way too tired here :p

Mmm...I was planning to one hand it. Is there a way to use the keyboard as a throttle, and only have one hand on the joystick?

Menelaus

Banned
LordCanti said:
Mmm...I was planning to one hand it. Is there a way to use the keyboard as a throttle, and only have one hand on the joystick?
Yeah, just don't bind throttle controls to that axis on the stick. I don't see any good reason to one hand over both, though.

Sethos

Banned
LordCanti said:

Just bind the throttle key(s) to your keyboard I suppose.

Don't see why you'd use the keyboard as well though. There's a reason the stick lacks a heavy base and is small - It's supposed to be portable, move keyboard a tad and then use the joystick.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DTKT said:
I can confirm that the HOTAS X throttle is a bit annoying for precise adjustments. Still an awesome thing to hold though. :p
Sometimes games cheap out on the throttle and essentially only give you three settings: decrease, neutral, or increase. The HOTAS X is nice because there's a little notch at neutral. But I don't think BF2 had this problem.

LordCanti

Sethos said:
Just bind the throttle key(s) to your keyboard I suppose.

Don't see why you'd use the keyboard as well though. There's a reason the stick lacks a heavy base and is small - It's supposed to be portable, move keyboard a tad and then use the joystick.

I've got an L-shaped desk, with a keyboard tray that comes out at the 90 degree bend. I'm planning to put the joystick on the desk itself, where I have more room.

Sethos

Banned
Arucardo said:
Got myself a Saitek X52 (not Pro) recently for 35e and tried it out in BF2 and a bunch of other games. It's awesome!

Then why would you need to hold the keyboard and the joystick?

Arucardo said:
Got myself a Saitek X52 (not Pro) recently for 35e and tried it out in BF2 and a bunch of other games. It's awesome!

It's rather pointless, the x52 is just way too clunky for simplified flight games, I have the Pro.

Arucardo

Sethos said:
It's rather pointless, the x52 is just way too clunky for simplified flight games, I have the Pro.
I think it's perfect, took me a few days to wrap my head around all the buttons tho, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom