• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5: DICE Making Changes To Spawns, UI, Ammo, and Tone Down Customization Options in Favour of Authenticity based on Beta Feedback.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/307537002

“We heard the community. We’re still looking at World War II through DICE’s lens, but how forward, how crazy we got with some of that? We heard the community, we understand there were some concerns about, hey, where’s the authenticity? We want players to be excited about customizing their characters with authentic gear. We dialled it back a bit. It was pretty crazy. We wanted to offer some authenticity, and that’s important to us, that’s important to our players.”

“Nothing is off the table. Again, we’ll watch how the community reacts, maybe we’ll try something. The nice thing about the armory, is we can put something out there, and if it doesn’t stick, it doesn’t stick. But first and foremost, we want to start with this authenticity approach.”

https://gamingbolt.com/battlefield-...-to-spawns-ui-and-ammo-based-on-beta-feedback

https://gamingbolt.com/battlefield-...ization-options-in-favour-of-authenticity#nnn

Codes 208

Too little too late for me. Even taking into account that its a beta the game felt like a much less polished bf1 and i just fell out of it after two matches.

At this point i wouldve preferred either bc3 or bf5 as a modern setting.

Specifically on ps4. The rtx shit on pc looks cool, but it takes more than graphics to keep me playing.

Last edited:

Catphish

All I want is an option to set all uniforms and weapons skins to default/historical. If some people want to customize and see customization, let them do it and see it. If others don't, let them have it that way.

If the community is truly wanting purple helmets and neon Thompsons, then it will be that way because people chose it. The minority realism-sticklers can live in their little isolated, ineffectual bubble. And I will join them.

I always felt like Battlefield was not the game you played if you were looking for authenticity. Look at something like Red Orchestra to see what it looks like when devs actually care about authenticity, Battlefield is practically high fantasy in comparison. They might as well put orcs and hobbits in for all the arcadey gaminess they pack in those things.

All I want is an option to set all uniforms and weapons skins to default/historical. If some people want to customize and see customization, let them do it and see it. If others don't, let them have it that way.

If the community is truly wanting purple helmets and neon Thompsons, then it will be that way because people chose it. The minority realism-sticklers can live in their little isolated, ineffectual bubble. And I will join them.

You are 100% correct.

GenericUser

Honestly, fuck them and their insulting marketing language. "hurr durr, we dun fucked up, but try effithing to act like we didn't. " No, you where wrong right from the beginning, you insulted many long term battlefield fans and only after the public beta and 2 months prior launch you start to give in. It's too late, the milk already has been spilled. Enjoy being taken for a walk by daddy EA sooner then later.

STFU dice and reap what you sow

Caayn

Dice and EA don't care about that. The only games that offer such an option, that I'm aware of, are the Forza games. And most likely only because you can't buy skins in those games.

Seeing a "cool" skin can trigger a player into spending money to get a skin as well. You won't see devs implement such as an option as long as this physiological effect exist.

TBiddy

Honestly, fuck them and their insulting marketing language. "hurr durr, we dun fucked up, but try effithing to act like we didn't. " No, you where wrong right from the beginning, you insulted many long term battlefield fans and only after the public beta and 2 months prior launch you start to give in. It's too late, the milk already has been spilled. Enjoy being taken for a walk by daddy EA sooner then later.

As someone out of the loop, what exactly happened? I get the whole trailer-thing with the chick with the robot-arm.. but surely there's more than that?

Pheace

I enjoyed the beta and am looking forward to the customizability of the company. Some things looked a little too silly perhaps (like the neon yellow tank with some sort of spray over it), but I don't honestly care about authenticity myself, mostly gameplay. How authentic is reviving people who were shot to death with syringes or shockpads anyway.

As someone out of the loop, what exactly happened? I get the whole trailer-thing with the chick with the robot-arm.. but surely there's more than that?

Here's the Gamasuta interview where Dice decided insulting their customers and telling them not to buy their game was a good idea.

"On the [women] in Battlefield, this is something that the development team pushed," Soderlund said in an E3 interview with Gamasutra.

"Battlefield V is a lot about the unseen, the untold, the unplayed," he continued. "The common perception is that there were no women in World War II. There were a ton of women who both fought in World War II and partook in the war."

This is important because late last month, EA unveiled Battlefield V via a trailer and cover that featured women soldiers. A vocal minority took to Twitter claiming that EA was sacrificing historical accuracy and realism for political correctness, despite plenty of available history about women in World War II.

Soderlund rejected those complaints outright.

"We felt like in today's world—I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" Soderlund said.

"She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' She looked at me and she couldn't understand it. And I'm like, ok, as a parent, how the hell am I gonna respond to this, and I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not okay.'"

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]."

"And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok."

This guy, who apparently has been working on the series for many years now, is no longer working at Dice.

And now?

"We heard the community, we understand there were some concerns about, hey, where’s the authenticity? We want players to be excited about customizing their characters with authentic gear. We dialled it back a bit. It was pretty crazy. We wanted to offer some authenticity, and that’s important to us, that’s important to our players.”

That's important to you, huh?

Gryndel

Neo Member
Happening just because EA realize how pandering to people who are not actually interest in vidya. I remember that in BF1 there was a little of a scandal bc there was a black guy in the game cover but in the end the game endend up selling more than bf4 at launch. This time they have pushed it too far and i guess that not even the one-month delay is going to be enough to save it

hargwood

Banned
Will not buy. They will use the excuse that racists and nazis didn't buy it but it really is because the game is flat out boring. Maps are so empty and the whole weapon upgrade and unlock system is so detached and fucked up it's unbelievable. How are most game modes still 32 total players? Should be at least 128 v 128 now.

Battle royale mode still nowhere to be seen and COD has actually listened to the community and made sweeping changes. Will buy Blops4 as my shooter this year. Fuck Dice and EA. You burned me with two shitty Battlefront's and deserve to feel the pain.

Catphish

Dice and EA don't care about that. The only games that offer such an option, that I'm aware of, are the Forza games. And most likely only because you can't buy skins in those games.

Seeing a "cool" skin can trigger a player into spending money to get a skin as well. You won't see devs implement such as an option as long as this physiological effect exist.
Well, I guess all I can say to that is they should consider other physiological effects, such as the one where I quit playing CoD:WWII altogether the first time I saw a bright neon rifle.

It goes both ways.

TBiddy

Here's the Gamasuta interview where Dice decided insulting their customers and telling them not to buy their game was a good idea.

Thanks. Seems odd to alienate your customers like that. I mean, if you want to add women to your game, sure thing. You might get flak for that and some will be turned off by the idea. But telling your potential customers not to buy the game is just silly.

Klik

I just hope graphics on base PS4 won't be so blurry and pixelated in final release.

BF1 looks great,BF5 looks so damn
blurry/pixelated its like you put vaseline all over the tv.

Pheace

Maps are so empty and the whole weapon upgrade and unlock system is so detached and fucked up it's unbelievable. How are most game modes still 32 total players? Should be at least 128 v 128 now.

Empty? I thought most people were complaining the maps were too small?

As for 32, is that still the limit on consoles? I only played Grand Operations and Conquest but both go 64 players on PC if I'm not mistaken.

DonF

I liked the attrition mechanics. I felt that it made me play more tactically and enforced team play and scavenging. It made the game less CoD. Too bad.
UI has lots of things to improve, sometimes cluttered and with lack of visibility. Good that its already improved.

Kagero

"On the [women] in Battlefield, this is something that the development team pushed," Soderlund said in an E3 interview with Gamasutra.

"Battlefield V is a lot about the unseen, the untold, the unplayed," he continued. "The common perception is that there were no women in World War II. There were a ton of women who both fought in World War II and partook in the war."

This is important because late last month, EA unveiled Battlefield V via a trailer and cover that featured women soldiers. A vocal minority took to Twitter claiming that EA was sacrificing historical accuracy and realism for political correctness, despite plenty of available history about women in World War II.

Soderlund rejected those complaints outright.

"We felt like in today's world—I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" Soderlund said.

"She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' She looked at me and she couldn't understand it. And I'm like, ok, as a parent, how the hell am I gonna respond to this, and I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not okay.'"

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]."

"And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok."

This guy, who apparently has been working on the series for many years now, is no longer working at Dice.

And now?

That's important to you, huh?
That's it?!? Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't offend me at all. I played the beta and it was fun. Whatever though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In favor of authenticity?

Wait what?

I thought gamers were uneducated manbabies, and 13 year old girls ruled the roost?

Last edited:

manfestival

They are contradicting themselves by saying there are moves made towards more authenticity.

Battlefield 1 was probably one of the most immersive experiences I have had while gaming. I will never forget the feeling booting up the game in beta and hearing the squad leaders blowing their whistles while we charge in towards a point to get blown up by artillery fire. I didn't have this experience once while playing BF5. Well nothing immersive that is. The overall look of the game felt more gamey than BF1 as well(not talking about the UI).

Flapples

BF1 Season pass was a waste of money, im not coming back to the franchise until we get another game like bf3

Now they want to listen to the community? What happened to don’t like it don’t buy it? They didn’t want to listen until their preorders took a hit. Personally if they would have had this attitude from the start I would have said ok, cool. Now it feels like they are backpedaling for themselves, not the community.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Now they want to listen to the community? What happened to don’t like it don’t buy it? They didn’t want to listen until their preorders took a hit. Personally if they would have had this attitude from the start I would have said ok, cool. Now it feels like they are backpedaling for themselves, not the community.

This.

Vote with your wallets, gamers. It is your most powerful tool/asset.

The Skull

The beta, while obviously not representative of the final products qaulity, just convinced me to reinstall BF4 and it's still a blast to play.

Dunki

Thanks. Seems odd to alienate your customers like that. I mean, if you want to add women to your game, sure thing. You might get flak for that and some will be turned off by the idea. But telling your potential customers not to buy the game is just silly.
They also called the people who wanted more authenticity that they are uneducated.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'll take another look at the game after some of the stuff that isn't making it in time for release is delivered. What I played in the beta doesn't make me want to play more.

cryptoadam

Banned
honestly go back to normal health. Don't get why they changed it. You just end up getting screwed after a fire fight and 1/2 hit killed. I swear I got killed so many times by 1 or 2 bullets because my health must of been at half or less.

Grand operations has its work cut out for it. Right now the mode isn't as good as Operations. With no Rush mode either I am worried about the game. the 2 best modes of the series for me at least and neither are supported.

I will reserve judgement to see the other maps, but I wasn't impressed with grand operations on Narvik. It also depends on how day 3 and day 4 play out.

LordPezix

I always felt like Battlefield was not the game you played if you were looking for authenticity. Look at something like Red Orchestra to see what it looks like when devs actually care about authenticity, Battlefield is practically high fantasy in comparison. They might as well put orcs and hobbits in for all the arcadey gaminess they pack in those things.

Honestly that game is insane. Like the fire fights are actual fucking fire fights with well established front lines. I was really impressed with how different that game is from other shooters. On the other hand if your team was even a degree worse than the opposing one, there was zero, zero chance of you winning that game.

The issue wasn't the fact that you could choose between a male or female character, making either or your own personal choice. It was how over the top it was thrown out there in the trailers to the community. I don't care either way if people want to use a female avatar online but why throw it out there like its a huge deal and make it a focal point.

Its kinda like large corporations that do charity events or do fundraisers, their logos are everywhere, the pictures with some 'important VIP' are taken handing over a giant cheque/ check and if it was really about the charity vs the publicity would it really matter about making it known which corporate group was involved?

Thats what DICE did with this, they made it an issue and the gaming community called them on it and now they're back pedaling, save your publicity heroism DICE, I just want to play the damn game.

From what I played in the beta I liked it, its definitely got that Battlefield 1 feel too it and because that was such a big game, really underrated why not stick with a similar formula that works. I felt some of the textures to be a little bland but it is only a beta. The controls felt smooth, I definitely enjoyed the sniper class, head shots are rewarding on big maps like what we saw in the beta.

MayauMiao

I wonder if its too late to win back gamers good will.

The way EA and DICE fucking up with both its PR and loyal fans reminds me of Microsoft's Xbox One first unveiling with focus on TV TV TV and Don Mattrick's infamous comment "we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360!".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The way EA and DICE fucking up with both its PR and loyal fans reminds me of Microsoft's Xbox One first unveiling with focus on TV TV TV and Don Mattrick's infamous comment "we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360!".

And this is not the first DICE/EA hiccup... BF2 was not that long ago either.

Between EA's greed in things like Madden and Fifa mixed with Battlefront 2 and now BF5, its going to lose a lot of customers. On the Dice front, their handling of any concerns by the community was brushed off and mocked. It wasn't until the preorder sales were pathetic that they now want to appease the community. EA and Dice only made changes to BF2 once shit hit the fan then too. Like I said before, if it was a legit one time mistake and then they adjusted from the get go, people would cut them slack. There isn't going to be any slack this time.

The one product they got right was Titanfall 2. Amazing Single and Multiplayer, free maps etc. That game was sent to die. It's like they don't want to make great games but would rather make loot box platforms. Shows the type of company they have become.

What is sad is that BF5 gunplay is so much better but everything else is terrible.

Last edited:

Pheace

Ignoring that a fair part of the playerbase will probably never have even heard about these PR issues, in the end all that matters for most gamers is whether it's a good game. If it turns out to be a good game there's going to at best be a small portion of players who choose to boycott over issues like this on principle.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Was not impressed by this game during the open beta on the PS4. Not going to buy this. Also, Battlefront 2 got butchered in favor of this game's development. I'm still salty about this.

DryvBy

Too bad they can't patch the game to make it feel like a WW2 game. Are they going to ignore Wake Island on this release too?

oagboghi2

Don't DICE exclusively make their internal engines like FrostBite?

Something tells me DICE will never take a walk with daddy EA, no matter how bad things get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom