• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V War Stories are a joke

Woo-Fu

Banned
I will be buying BF V but I never touch the MP.

You probably could use an additional hobby if you think paying for BF V and never touching multiplayer is a good use of your resources. You're paying rib-eye prices for hardtack. Even if money is no object surely your time still is.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
You probably could use an additional hobby if you think paying for BF V and never touching multiplayer is a good use of your resources. You're paying rib-eye prices for hardtack. Even if money is no object surely your time still is.

Plenty of hobbies mate, gaming is but one. I game a few hours per week tops, BF V single player will fill that nicely. Play again in harder difficulty, bag some trophies for it... I'm happy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To me, Dice is at their best doing hyper realistic gameplay, the graphics,
Till this day I have not touched the BF3 campaign on my Origin account. Till this day I have not played a single BF since as well.
Short and sweet, I enjoyed it for what it was. People got to remember this Battlefield series is young and the first few games didn’t even feature a story.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To me, Dice is at their best doing hyper realistic gameplay, the graphics,

Short and sweet, I enjoyed it for what it was. People got to remember this Battlefield series is young and the first few games didn’t even feature a story.

I really enjoyed BC2 however. Story and multiplayer.

cryptoadam

Banned
DICE are just not good at making SP for their games. BF's to Star Wars don't count on a DICE SP to be anything other then meh at best.

They should of ditched the SP and got Firestorm, Rush and Combined Arms out day 1. No one cares about 6 hours untold stories and its pissing off every reviewer I have seen. They all basically say the same thing, which is they wanted those classic WW2 settings not these slice of unknown stories.

And bitch move to leave out the 4th War Story so you can release it as "DLC", did the same thing with Star Wars 2.

Anyways its all about the MP thats the only thing that matters.

mcz117chief

That video is infuriating.

And you know what is the biggest point here ? That there were plenty of events to make women prominent that would give amazing story. Like Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko. Russian sniper with confirmed 300+ kills at age of just 26. Instead they wrote their own version of events that don't make sense.

"confirmed" by the Soviet propaganda machine, aka the most reliable source of news on the planet Earth during WW2. How about a REAL story about women in war, building machines, treating casualties etc. Anna's story in Valiant Hearts was amazingly done and she literally shot exactly 0 times during the whole game.

Zewp

I find it a little hard to take you seriously considering a) the modern BF games have all had Rambo campaigns and b) you're complaining about being able to Rambo the campaign at Normal difficulty.

Zewp

It's amazing how DICE literally regressed from knockoff Modern Warfare to somewhere around Medal of Honor Allied Assault when it comes to their campaigns. Sub CoD1 levels. How can you be so shit at making a decent campaign, I'm not asking for much, I'm fine with CoD2 quality.

Hey, MoH AA was the shit back in the day. I can probably still play those campaigns with my eyes closed.

A.Romero

I usually play the SP campaigns first but this one wasn't good enough even for me. I might revisit it in the future.

The introductory chapter was cool, though.

Dada55000

Hey, MoH AA was the shit back in the day. I can probably still play those campaigns with my eyes closed.
Campaign was alright, not a patch on CoD1 though. Which isn't surprising, since MoHAA is basically CoD 0.5. Not even an exaggaration, same engine, same visual design, same gunplay, same lead developers, hell I'm pretty sure one of the faces used for generic soldiers appears in CoD1 too. Playing it for the first time not long ago time felt really weird. It was like playing a beta version of CoD1. Like if you go back and play the Half-Life 1 beta that leaked and compare it to the retail version, only it's 2 different games. I can imagine it was quite awesome back in '02.

My comment was mainly a point about how far the quality has regressed in DICE's SP. It is comparable to the first attempt at a CoD style campaign. In 2018, that is pathetic.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Plenty of hobbies mate, gaming is but one. I game a few hours per week tops, BF V single player will fill that nicely. Play again in harder difficulty, bag some trophies for it... I'm happy.

That's my point. If you only game a few hours per week there are infinitely better experiences out there for your money. Heck, if it is only a few hours per week there are infinitely better free games to spend that time with.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

You could finish them in 4 hours.
Oh so 4 hours of SP and then I get 6 hours of MP. Nice!! I will not get my money's worth buying at full price, I get bored of MP too quickly. It's $6.99 for one month of EA Access here in Aus so I guess I will try it out through there.

EBE

I know this isn't the place to ask, but I pre-ordered the deluxe edition-i thought I was supposed to receive six tokens to unlock six out of the eight 'veteran' costumes (1 token for pre-orderering and 5 for the deluxe) but I only received 5 total. What's the deal? I suppose it doesn't matter much but has this happened to anyone else? Can you unlock these veteran outfits some other way?

Anyway yeah, the war stories really suck. And I actually quite liked battlefield 4s campaign. I thought it was decent. The stories aren't awful but they're much too short. Under no Flag could have been fun if you had stuck around with these guys for a bit longer

Zewp

Campaign was alright, not a patch on CoD1 though. Which isn't surprising, since MoHAA is basically CoD 0.5. Not even an exaggaration, same engine, same visual design, same gunplay, same lead developers, hell I'm pretty sure one of the faces used for generic soldiers appears in CoD1 too. Playing it for the first time not long ago time felt really weird. It was like playing a beta version of CoD1. Like if you go back and play the Half-Life 1 beta that leaked and compare it to the retail version, only it's 2 different games. I can imagine it was quite awesome back in '02.

My comment was mainly a point about how far the quality has regressed in DICE's SP. It is comparable to the first attempt at a CoD style campaign. In 2018, that is pathetic.

Yeah, I'm only being half serious. I loved AA back in the day (being a preteen probably helped a lot), but it's pretty bad by modern standards.

It's one of those weird games that I can recognise was poorly designed, but still look back on fondly despite the flaws.

The MP was great, though. We had many LANs specifically for MoHAA.

Acidizer

Banned
That's my point. If you only game a few hours per week there are infinitely better experiences out there for your money. Heck, if it is only a few hours per week there are infinitely better free games to spend that time with.

You are rambling. Explain how another game is any different from BFV? Doesn't matter if I play it 2 hours a week or 20 hours a week... when I'm done with it, I'm done. If I find a game I am into I will stick with it until I have exhausted it on a personal basis, this may take weeks or months.

I like a FPS campaign to play this time of year... unless you are aware of one I am not... please name one "infinitely better experience"?

I comb PS store regularly for games I might like (new or old) and I've either dismissed or played them all. So that leaves upcoming games. BFV is a prime candidate since I enjoyed previous SP campaigns. It might be barebones, but that's all there is!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You are rambling. Explain how another game is any different from BFV? Doesn't matter if I play it 2 hours a week or 20 hours a week... when I'm done with it, I'm done. If I find a game I am into I will stick with it until I have exhausted it on a personal basis, this may take weeks or months.

I like a FPS campaign to play this time of year... unless you are aware of one I am not... please name one "infinitely better experience"?

I comb PS store regularly for games I might like (new or old) and I've either dismissed or played them all. So that leaves upcoming games. BFV is a prime candidate since I enjoyed previous SP campaigns. It might be barebones, but that's all there is!

Call of Cthulhu is an FPS title (though less action-packed and more survival-horror) and it is infinitely better value over the asinine story that BFV tries to put forth (and also doesn't spit in the face of hundreds of thousands of brave men, women, and children who fought during WW2).

Acidizer

Banned
I don't play shooters for their story though. In fact I skip cutscenes in just about every game that will allow me to do so. That's why I'm still at the start of Red Dead... trying to shove a story I don't give two fucks about down my throat. Call of Cthulhu looks like a game I'd pass on if it were free on PSN.

"Asinine" is exactly what I'm looking for in games. If I want a time wasting pretentious story, I'll watch a film.

Woo-Fu

Banned

You don't know what rambling is and evidently you don't know what good games are if you think you can't be more entertained than you'll get out of BFV singleplayer. You keep saying campaign. You also don't seem to know what a campaign is. War Stories isn't a campaign. BF1 singleplayer wasn't a campaign either.

But hey, ignorance is bliss, so if you're having what you think is maximum fun you're better off ignoring anybody who knows better. :)

Last edited:

Mojoraisin

You don't know what rambling is and evidently you don't know what good games are if you think you can't be more entertained than you'll get out of BFV singleplayer. You keep saying campaign. You also don't seem to know what a campaign is. War Stories isn't a campaign. BF1 singleplayer wasn't a campaign either.

But hey, ignorance is bliss, so if you're having what you think is maximum fun you're better off ignoring anybody who knows better. :)

I wouldn't buy BF for single player either, but damn, let the man play the single player campaign if he's happy with it!

Last edited:

DryvBy

Outside of Bad Company (which is truly great), BF has the biggest joke of a campaign. All of them are flat out awful.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You really missed the point of that last mission and the ending.

The point of the scene doesn't make it any less of a Michael Bay movie.

xviper

-almost all BF games campaign sucks
- BF V campaign sucks
Op:
Pikachu-.jpg

Acidizer

Banned

I would probably think half the games you love are total horseshit... and vice versa. Different people take away different things from different games... shocking isn't it? Where you find "value", I may find it a waste of time.

Campaign, single player, solo missions. Whatever. BF1 had a similar thing and that was perfectly acceptable. No other single player military shooters this season, so this is it!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The point is that it's meant to be an unrealistic Michael Bay movie.

Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be unbelievable. OP was saying that BF1 wasn't "half as unbelievable as BF5" when it clearly is. I don't understand what you're getting at.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

I really enjoyed most of BF1 war stories. BF3 and BC2 were awesome as well. Have no interest in BF5 single player but will play it at some point.

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be unbelievable. OP was saying that BF1 wasn't "half as unbelievable as BF5" when it clearly is. I don't understand what you're getting at.
The whole point of that mission is that it makes the main character look as badass as possible because he's making it up to make himself come across as more heroic. He's a liar.

Top Bottom