• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bay Area GAF reminder - Bay Bridge closed for next 5 days to prep new bridge span

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bay Area girds for bridge shutdown. At least no BART strike to coincide with this!

Transbay travelers may want to avoid their cars in the coming days, as the Bay Bridge will be shut down at 8 p.m. Wednesday and remain closed over the Labor Day weekend.

The bridge is scheduled to reopen before the morning commute Tuesday, after the new eastern span is connected to the existing toll plaza to the east and Yerba Buena Island to the west.

Regional transportation officials have worked hard to ensure that the closure won't gridlock the Bay Area, in part by offering around-the-clock train service, bike shuttles between Oakland and San Francisco, bus service to and from BART stations for AC Transit riders, and extra ferry service. Information on all of the options is available at 511.org or by calling 511.

It's the fourth time since 2006 that the bridge has been shut down over Labor Day weekend, and the other closures went smoothly, said Randy Rentschler, director of public affairs for the regional Metropolitan Transportation Commission.

"One of the reasons we close on this weekend is because we do have lower traffic counts ... (and) the residents of the Bay Area have been very patient with us over many years of Labor Day closures," he said. "I think some people will say it's a good excuse for a longer Labor Day, and I think we will see some telecommuting."

The Bay Area, he added "also has a great overlapping transit system," including BART and the ferry systems.

For most of the closure, BART will run limited 24-hour train service at 14 stations, including to the San Francisco and Oakland international airports.

The transit agency will also run longer trains and increase the frequency of service during the numerous events scheduled for the holiday weekend, including A's baseball and Cal Bears football games in the East Bay and the America's Cup races in San Francisco.

On Sunday and Monday, BART will operate on a Saturday schedule; the agency will not run trains between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. Tuesday.

For more information about BART service in the coming days, visit bart.gov.

"BART can handle it - if they can do the San Francisco Giants parade, they can do this," said Rentschler. "The ferries will also have extra service - they are not going to have midday service as some people would like, but they will have extra service."

From Thursday through Monday, regional transit officials will also offer a bike shuttle service from Oakland to San Francisco that will cost $1 each way. The bike shuttle will pick up at MacArthur BART Station in Oakland and the corner of Main and Folsom streets in San Francisco. For a schedule, visit alert.511.org/p/bicl.html.

AC Transit riders will not be able to access transbay service; the agency will instead add stops at four East Bay BART stations to pick up and drop off San Francisco travelers. Those four stations are Coliseum/Oakland Airport, MacArthur, North Berkeley and West Oakland.

AC Transit buses will cease transbay service at 7:10 p.m. Wednesday and resume when the bridge reopens Tuesday. For more information, visit actransit.org.

Some ferry service will be added during the bridge closure to accommodate additional riders. For information about the San Francisco Bay Ferry schedule, visit sanfranciscobayferry.com; for information on Golden Gate bus and ferry schedule changes, visit goldengate.org.

It's not clear how many Bay Area businesses are offering options such as telecommuting on Thursday and Friday, said Rufus Jeffris, a spokesman for the Bay Area Council - but the fact that the bridge will only be closed for two normal workdays is good news, he added.

Some businesses will probably offer more flexible work schedules, while some employees will probably take an extra day or two off. Others might find new ways to get around outside of their cars.

"Obviously, it's a holiday weekend so folks are not going to be working or commuting on a normal pattern. We'd expect to see some impacts on smaller businesses, tourist-related businesses - people may be delaying or canceling trips into the city or East Bay," Jeffris said.

"At the same time, some people are probably planning on sticking close to home and will be out and about in their respective cities, so they will be spending money there."

Jeffris said the largest impact will be on workers who can't do their jobs from home, such as waiters, sales clerks and security guards - and those who have to have face-to-face meetings.

For the non-locals, currently used eastside span on the left, new bridge on the right:

Wa7usVe.jpg

More pics of the new span being prepped for opening:

dbQjWxx.jpg

56vna7E.jpg

RLSbCxX.jpg

gj3EXW7.jpg

Guevara

This week is gonna be a disaster. I live and work in SF, but 90% of my office will be out Thursday and Friday.

xbhaskarx

Here's what I don't get about the new bay bridge span:

It looked like it was 90% complete like 4-5 years ago, and it's still not open....

alba

Little is the new Big
I actually got out before it closed, phew. Gonna be back after it's open so it's all good :D

It looked like it was 90% complete like 4-5 years ago, and it's still not open....
It's taken far too long to design and construct due to a number of factors including the design they selected. Ridiculous that the replacement span is in response to the 1989 earthquake and we're just now finishing it.

XiaNaphryz

You might just be misremembering, as the main tower was still under construction 2 years ago, too early for the suspension cables:

TJOD7Hg.jpg

You might just be misremembering, as the main tower was still under construction 2 years ago, too early for the suspension cables:

TJOD7Hg.jpg

I drove by it every other day for quite some time. It was no where near completion before I left last May (2012). No cables were up what so ever. Just the tower.

XiaNaphryz

I drove by it every other day for quite some time. It was no where near completion before I left last May (2012). No cables were up what so ever. Just the tower.

Yeah, they started installing the cables in late summer that year I believe.

r4Mvm1d.jpg

It's taken far too long to design and construct due to a number of factors including the design they selected. Ridiculous that the replacement span is in response to the 1989 earthquake and we're just now finishing it.

Just in time for the next big one to hit the Hayward Fault and destroy the East Bay. :(

Just in time for the next big one to hit the Hayward Fault and destroy the East Bay. :(
The new Bay Bridge is a big improvement over the current one, and it'll be in good shape once they take care of the anchor bolt retrofit/work around. I'm glad it's in place now, but the amount of time and money unnecessarily wasted on the new bridge (poor design choices, political squabbling, financial issues, construction mishaps) is extremely frustrating.

The Hayward Fault is a huge concern going forward. There have been a lot of good infrastructure and building improvements made over the last 20+ years, but we're still not where we should be.

Richmond/San Rafael Bridge is the one that's gonna be FUBARed if a Hayward fault earthquake hits hard.
It's had some retrofit work recently to make it safer, but it's not a bad idea to get it replaced one of these years since it's getting old. After the new Bay Bridge, I doubt there's much political will to get that done, though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The new Bay Bridge is a big improvement over the current one, and it'll be in good shape once they take care of the anchor bolt retrofit/work around. I'm glad it's in place now, but the amount of time and money unnecessarily wasted on the new bridge (poor design choices, political squabbling, financial issues, construction mishaps) is extremely frustrating.

The Hayward Fault is a huge concern going forward. There have been a lot of good infrastructure and building improvements made over the last 20+ years, but we're still not where we should be.

And now I suddenly want to get an EQ emergency backpack with supplies and stuff. I live in Castro Valley and that fault scares the hell out of me ever since taking geography a few years ago. Some officer came in to talk to us about how to prep for an EQ so it made me realize fuck, whenever this fault fails we are so fucked.

XiaNaphryz

So by the end of this will they open the new bridge?

Yes. Then it'll be another 3 years to dismantle the old span:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matie...st-span-to-be-dismantled-from-top-4765888.php

And now I suddenly want to get an EQ emergency backpack with supplies and stuff. I live in Castro Valley and that fault scares the hell out of me ever since taking geography a few years ago. Some officer came in to talk to us about how to prep for an EQ so it made me realize fuck, whenever this fault fails we are so fucked.

Try not to be at Cal's Memorial Stadium when it hits. ;P

It's worth checking out 72hours.org for info on what you need to be prepared for an earthquake or other emergency.
Try not to be at Cal's Memorial Stadium when it hits. ;P
Also retrofitted recently. ;)

XiaNaphryz

Can't believe they fucked up so badly on this that they need to do this

Heh, Labor Day closures have been an annual event for a while now. Never has been this length of time though.

East Bay will never die. We 2 stroooooong.

5lrAqkw.jpg

A large quake anywhere on that line is going to cause a lot of damage that won't be quickly repaired. But maybe this way they can make 880 not suck if they have to rebuild it!

XiaNaphryz

Nah it has a curve.

I think he means the S-curve they had to install on the old span so they could continue working on the new bridge while still letting traffic flow on the old one.

That shouldn't be an issue when they re-open since the old span shouldn't be in use at that point.

They could build an entirely new stadium in its place for all I care, it's sitting right on the goddamn faultline, no thanks. ;)
Yes, it's on the fault, but they've put a lot of thought and money into providing a proper seismic retrofit solution that keeps the stadium safe in the event of an earthquake.
Heh, Labor Day closures have been an annual event for a while now. Never has been this length of time though.
They need a fair amount of time to deal with switching the roadway over, so it's longer this time. Some of the time is just handling stuff like waiting for the asphalt to cure and for the lane striping to dry.

I think he means the S-curve they had to install on the old span so they could continue working on the new bridge while still letting traffic flow on the old one.

That shouldn't be an issue when they re-open since the old span shouldn't be in use at that point.

I know but there will be a curve with this one. And yes it will be less of an issue because it won't be the shitty east span that already feels claustrophobic.

xbhaskarx

What's happening with the old bridge? What happened to the idea of turning it into parks and walking paths and housing and whatnot?

XiaNaphryz

Yes, it's on the fault, but they've put a lot of thought and money into providing a proper seismic retrofit solution that keeps the stadium safe in the event of an earthquake.
They need a fair amount of time to deal with switching the roadway over, so it's longer this time. Some of the time is just handling stuff like waiting for the asphalt to cure and for the lane striping to dry.

There isn't any proper solution if a big enough quake hits right there and the ground splits in half a couple of feet like it did on that one part of the San Andreas during Loma Prieta. ;)

I know but there will be a curve with this one. And yes it will be less of an issue because it won't be the shitty east span that already feels claustrophobic.

I think it's more that you can't safely go over 35-40 mph or so on the S-curve, while the new span should be safe at standard highway speeds.

What's happening with the old bridge? What happened to the idea of turning it into parks and walking paths and housing and whatnot?

They'll dismantle the whole thing.

I think it's more that you can't safely go over 35-40 mph or so on the S-curve, while the new span should be safe at standard highway speeds.

Well yeah because the S curve was right off the tunnel. God so many idiots didn't even notice so it was just brake time. Every time.

They're slowing pulling it apart and removing it. It's going to take a while due to the environmental dangers of the lead paint and a few other things. The idea of turning it into a park was never seriously considered, afaik.
It's a nice smooth curve with good views. The S-curve/chicane was a messy, but necessary move to get the alignments all worked out on the new structure while keeping the old one up and running.

There isn't any proper solution if a big enough quake hits right there and the ground splits in half a couple of feet like it did on that one part of the San Andreas during Loma Prieta.
It was designed for movements just like that.
I know I went on it tons of times ;p.
Oh, I know. Will be good to finally get this finished up. Tourists/infrequent drivers trying to fly through the S-curve at high speeds was never a good thing.

It was designed for movements just like that.
Oh, I know. Will be good to finally get this finished up. Tourists/infrequent drivers trying to fly through the S-curve at high speeds was never a good thing.

Yup. The best was when you're already on the bridge right after an accident. Ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's worth checking out 72hours.org for info on what you need to be prepared for an earthquake or other emergency.
Also retrofitted recently. ;)

Thanks, do you or anyone else here have emergency stuff set up? I've been meaning to buy an emergency pack with supplies ever since that class but have just been too lazy or didn't want to spend on it.

Thanks, do you or anyone else here have emergency stuff set up? I've been meaning to buy an emergency pack with supplies ever since that class but have just been too lazy or didn't want to spend on it.
We have a pretty basic set up with water, food, a rechargeable radio, flashlights, water purifier, etc... It's one of those things that I always mean to work on, but I procrastinate. It's good to get at least a few things together.

Nelo Ice

Banned
We have a pretty basic set up with water, food, a rechargeable radio, flashlights, water purifier, etc... It's one of those things that I always mean to work on, but I procrastinate. It's good to get at least a few things together.

Ahh well looked through gaf about emergency kits and looks like Costco has one with most everything you'd need. May pick one up sometime since that fault is always in the back of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom