• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bay Area GAF reminder - Bay Bridge closed for next 5 days to prep new bridge span

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
6.4 billion for this this bridge and despite the 12 year construction time, American Bridge/Fluor are still rushing to get it finished by the deadline so they can get their $20 million bonus. Hope we don't hear more about these broken bolts or broken anything in the near future. Despite the long construction time it is only expected to last 150 years (and only then with proper maintenance)... doesn't seem like the best investment, but I'll be dead and gone so, whatever.

The city was flabbergasted when they first started investigating the cost of this new bridge before construction began in 2002, thinking it would cost below $800mln but actually were told it would be $1.4bln. If only...

The Golden Gate bridge took barely more than 4 years to complete, now that's a wonder! Sure, more people died making it but wasn't it worth it? :p It's only the most photographed bridge in the world.

Anyway, as usual, really looking forward to the commute to work during this. Let's just get it over with!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What's happening with the old bridge? What happened to the idea of turning it into parks and walking paths and housing and whatnot?

If a decent-sized (read: '89 or stronger) quake hits, that thing was coming down. It has to be dismantled.

Ahh well looked through gaf about emergency kits and looks like Costco has one with most everything you'd need. May pick one up sometime since that fault is always in the back of my head.
That's a good way to do it if you just want to pick something up and not have to worry about assembling your own kit.
BART is gonna be packed. Good thing I don't have school :)
Didn't seem too bad this morning, but I was in early. Looks like traffic (San Mateo Bridge and 880 in particular) are a mess this morning.

A couple shots from the East Bay

6XZwZd2.jpg

From Burrito Justice

MjY8Azm.jpg

My dad took this one yesterday afternoon.

Also, some SFist nonsense: People Are Commemorating The Wrong Half Of The Bay Bridge and A Selection Of Profanity-Laced Bay Bridge Tweets

apana

I have never been this excited in my whole life, bridge is beautiful.

6.4 billion for this this bridge and despite the 12 year construction time, American Bridge/Fluor are still rushing to get it finished by the deadline so they can get their $20 million bonus. Hope we don't hear more about these broken bolts or broken anything in the near future. Despite the long construction time it is only expected to last 150 years (and only then with proper maintenance)... doesn't seem like the best investment, but I'll be dead and gone so, whatever.

The city was flabbergasted when they first started investigating the cost of this new bridge before construction began in 2002, thinking it would cost below $800mln but actually were told it would be $1.4bln. If only...

The Golden Gate bridge took barely more than 4 years to complete, now that's a wonder! Sure, more people died making it but wasn't it worth it? :p It's only the most photographed bridge in the world.

Anyway, as usual, really looking forward to the commute to work during this. Let's just get it over with!

SMH, I wonder how much high speed rail is really going to cost. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom