• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 Development “Going Very Well” PlatinumGames “Very Excited About What They’re Doing”.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.dualshockers.com/bayone...g-well/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Today, during a stage event at the Bitsummit Roadshow: Tokyo hosted at the Daikanyama Unit venue in the Japanese capital (which DualShockers attended), PlatinumGames’ own Hideki Kamiya and Atsushi Inaba shared a tease about the upcoming Bayonetta 3.

We hear that the game is “on course” and everybody in the development team is “in sync.” While they can’t say more at the moment, we hear that development is proceeding smoothly.

“It’s nice to be able to tell you that everything is going very, very well. We’re all very excited about what we’re doing on that game.”​

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was kind of sad not showing anything off for Bayonetta 3 but at the same time I forgive them because they showed Astral Chain with proper gameplay footage and solid release date.

Last edited:
bayonetta games are good. but they are by no means fantastic games as everyone makes them out to be. quite simply the combat is pretty repetetive. especially with the mini games in them.

its one of the more unfluid button mashers I played.

idk where the praise for PG comes from. they are by no means bad but. there are tons of developer well and above them at level of games and they don't get half the praise.

character action games have regressed I guess why everyone thinks its acclaimed. it has one of the most bland settings I have seen. we went downhill after DMC3 didn't we?.

dmc5 looks like its the brother of DmC as well. man.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really liked Bayonetta 1. the story was very cool and i enjoyed seeing her slap around these crazy interdimensional monsters. the levels were dull at first but eventually turned into cool cosmic optical illusions and the gameplay was always fun throughout. her character is just a lot of fun to watch, she has tons of confidence, like James Bond or something.

Bayonetta 2 is the better game overall though, the camera is nicer, it plays easier, the levels look better, the graphics stand out more, etc. however the story cutscenes of her following the kid are not nearly as interesting as the first IMO. i like the weird angels and stuff. don't get me wrong, Bayo 2 is hella fun to play tho i just prefer the presentation of the original game's storyline.

i miss Enzo, the foul mouthed mobster from the first game. i'd bring him back for this one, have him in more than 1 scene per game. apparently the 3rd is being made by people behind Metal Gear Rising so that's good news.

Last edited:

Raph64

Take all the time you will need Platinum, and don’t forget.

hjdxD7q.jpg

Last edited:

kunonabi

Bayo2 was a huge step down from the first so I'm not overly excited for 3. Astral Chain on the other hand is looking excellent.

Hudo

As someone who did not play Bayonetta 1 and 2 (but has a Switch), how does the combat of Bayonetta compare to, say, Devil May Cry 4 or Nier Automata. The combat in Nier Automata felt absolutely right (to me). They have nailed that "tegotae"-feeling in that game.

Danjin44

As someone who did not play Bayonetta 1 and 2 (but has a Switch), how does the combat of Bayonetta compare to, say, Devil May Cry 4 or Nier Automata. The combat in Nier Automata felt absolutely right (to me). They have nailed that "tegotae"-feeling in that game.
I would say combat system is much deeper than NieR Automata (which I also absolutely loved). I would say one biggest difference between Bayonetta and DMC combat is that in Boyonetta, dodging is big part of the combat, one best part of it is activating wich time with perfect time dodge.

Here watch this video to get idea what’s combat all about.

Hudo

I would say combat system is much deeper than NieR Automata (which I also absolutely loved). I would say one biggest difference between Bayonetta and DMC combat is that in Boyonetta, dodging is big part of the combat, one best part of it is activating wich time with perfect time dodge.

Here watch this video to get idea what’s combat all about.

Is....that song part of the soundtrack? I might already play the games based only on the music, haha. Holy shit.

But yeah, I get what you mean. Nier Automata, while certainly not as "dodge-focused", also felt very satisfying when you managed to dodge and then riposte with some attack. But I can see that Bayonetta seems to have more complexity to it. And Bayonetta 2 is probably in the same vein, right? At least I can remember seeing some Witch Time in that game as well.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad GAF made me buy Bayonetta 1. The combat's brilliant fun, as others have mentioned the confidence of the main character is utterly wonderful, a proper badass. Japan is putting out games the west is too chicken to make, and I thank the whole nation for that.

Danjin44

I'm really glad GAF made me buy Bayonetta 1. The combat's brilliant fun, as others have mentioned the confidence of the main character is utterly wonderful, a proper badass. Japan is putting out games the west is too chicken to make, and I thank the whole nation for that.
tenor.gif

Graciaus

So you are right and everyone is wrong ?
The first one definetly isnt. Prime example of a game that needs mod support. The core gameplay is good everything else not so much. Bad story, tons of cutscenes, unskippable events, constant qte, qte in cutscene. The list goes on.

cireza

The first one definetly isnt. Prime example of a game that needs mod support. The core gameplay is good everything else not so much. Bad story, tons of cutscenes, unskippable events, constant qte, qte in cutscene. The list goes on.
Bad story -> that's your opinion
Tons of cutscenes -> that's your opinion, I enjoyed them
unskippable events -> you can skip them, pause and skip, or there is even a shortcut with a trigger to skip without pausing
qte -> a few of them suck because they are unfair (and were removed from sequel), and they are here for the show

In the end it seems to me that you don't like what the game has to offer. Which does not make it a bad game, you simply don't like it.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Bad story -> that's your opinion
Tons of cutscenes -> that's your opinion, I enjoyed them
unskippable events -> you can skip them, pause and skip, or there is even a shortcut with a trigger to skip without pausing
qte -> a few of them suck because they are unfair (and were removed from sequel), and they are here for the show

In the end it seems to me that you don't like what the game has to offer. Which does not make it a bad game, you simply don't like it.
I don't remember saying it was a bad game. I did say it needs mod support. I haven't played the 2nd one but removing qte is a big plus if true. It having a lot of cutscenes is not an opinion. It does have some unskippable scenes I replayed it last week. Qte are boring and the cutscene auto kill ones are annoying.

Nella

With the rumor of the director getting changed, I'm getting really worried about this game :/

Feels like a 2021 game at best.

Raph64

With the rumor of the director getting changed, I'm getting really worried about this game :/

Feels like a 2021 game at best.

I’m pretty sure Kamiya has possibly been directing this since beginning of development.

At this rate, we will likely get a 2020 release, but hey in the meantime...

WE HAVE ASTRAL CHAIN COMING THIS YEAR BABY !!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’m pretty sure Kamiya has possibly been directing this since beginning of development.

Yeah Astral Chain looks absolutely fucking insanely good.

mcjmetroid

really liked Bayonetta 1. the story was very cool and i enjoyed seeing her slap around these crazy interdimensional monsters. the levels were dull at first but eventually turned into cool cosmic optical illusions and the gameplay was always fun throughout. her character is just a lot of fun to watch, she has tons of confidence, like James Bond or something.

Bayonetta 2 is the better game overall though, the camera is nicer, it plays easier, the levels look better, the graphics stand out more, etc. however the story cutscenes of her following the kid are not nearly as interesting as the first IMO. i like the weird angels and stuff. don't get me wrong, Bayo 2 is hella fun to play tho i just prefer the presentation of the original game's storyline.

i miss Enzo, the foul mouthed mobster from the first game. i'd bring him back for this one, have him in more than 1 scene per game. apparently the 3rd is being made by people behind Metal Gear Rising so that's good news.

I'm not sure which game I prefer.
I feel like the first game was better paced and the battles had a far more strategic element.
Also I'm not the world's biggest fan of the flying levels. I mean now and then is ok but I feel the second game had far too many.

but in general the second game plays better.

DonF

I actually liked Bayo 1 way more than 2, so if that director was responsible for that and star fox zero, good riddance. I love bayo 2's QoL improvements, but anything else it felt like a smaller game.

SALMORE

looking forward to it ! but i hope they change or tweak the " boss-rush " style of gameplay that they used for the previous games

Fbh

It was definitely announced too soon.

But I really liked 1 and I seem to be in the minority that liked 2 even better so I can't wait to see what they in 3

Really curious to see what they can pull off visually with the Switch.

I kinda hope they make it visually similar to Bayo2 and focus on hitting 60fps consistently.

Games like Bayonetta really benefit more from smoother frame rate than nicer visual

Orta

Banned
Really looking forward to this. It'll be great to see a big hitter built from the ground up exclusively on the Switch that isn't first party.

I casually dismissed 1 & 2 as button mashers. Then I played them :messenger_grimmacing_

kingbean

I'm fine with the director leaving. I don't like bayo 2 as much. It's good but not better enough for me to want ti play it over bayo one or dmc3-4.

Nella

Kamiya never directs sequels to his own games, though, or at least I thought so! Maybe I'm wrong.

bayonetta games are good. but they are by no means fantastic games as everyone makes them out to be. quite simply the combat is pretty repetetive. especially with the mini games in them.

its one of the more unfluid button mashers I played.

idk where the praise for PG comes from. they are by no means bad but. there are tons of developer well and above them at level of games and they don't get half the praise.

character action games have regressed I guess why everyone thinks its acclaimed. it has one of the most bland settings I have seen. we went downhill after DMC3 didn't we?.

dmc5 looks like its the brother of DmC as well. man.

Don't tell Kamiya this or you's get banned with a free insult!

Although I agree with you about how the games are a little bit Over the top, for someone who sucks at Hack n Slashers like me the games are very well catered for a lower skill ceiling as well as some complex higher ceiling for those who seek it. It csn be a button masher but it can also have a very complex combo system. I like the options theu provide.

What other developers can you recommend? 😀

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Aren't they also working on a still secret character action game? Something that they had said will redefine the genre or some such (so I don't think it's Astral Chain as it's maybe a different genre like Nier)? And all their other projects on top? Platinum has come a long way (but was always cool).

Last edited:

Viridian Vagabond

Neo Member
What hairstyle do you guys think Bayonetta will have? I bet she’d look good in pigtails, or maybe they’ll make 3 a bit more urban and give her dreads.

O-N-E

Kamiya never directs sequels to his own games, though, or at least I thought so! Maybe I'm wrong.

The sad thing is, he has said that he would direct an Okami 2 if the business end of it could be taken care of.

Top Bottom