• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC to adapt Dumas' The Three Musketeers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
musket.jpg

Porthos, Aramis, Athos and d'Artagnan return to the screen, but this time via the purveyors of drama excellence, the BBC.

Synopsis
A fresh and contemporary take on the classic characters created by Alexandre Dumas in his much-loved novel. The Musketeers are a crack-team of highly trained soldiers, far more than the King’s personal bodyguards, confronting impossible odds and fighting any battle if the cause is just. The series bursts with escapism, adventure and romance and is set to thrill audiences with cracking stories of the week. Co-produced with BBC WorldWide.
Article
BBC One's previously announced The Musketeers has gotten a new production partner in BBC America.

The stateside cable sibling will co-produce the 10-episode drama inspired by Alexandre Dumas' classic novel, The Three Musketeers. Adrian Hodges, the My Week With Marilyn writer who's TV work includes British series Survivors and Primeval, is penning the venture, currently slated for a 2013 debut.

Billed as a "fresh and contemporary take on the beloved story and characters," the new Musketeers are a group of highly trained soldiers.

"The series bristles with vivid escapism and heroic action adventure," said BBC America GM Perry Simon. "It is a perfect series for our Dramaville slot, which has established itself as a showcase for outstanding and award-winning British drama."

BBC America has previously joined BBC productions The Hour, Being Human, Luther and The Spies of Warsaw.

Filming starts soon, may premiere in late 2013.

The Count continues his wait.

Wes

venison crêpe
Adrian Hodges is a mixed bag... Survivors was up and down. Primeval was awful. My Week with Marilyn was decent.

Sounds like their run up to Christmas drama for this year.

Always been a fan of The Three Muskateer adapatations though. I look forward to it. As long as it's not their replacement for Merlin. If they're using this story for that tone of show I'll probably end up disliking it.

Loxley

B-B-But that Paul W.S. Anderson version was just so perfect! How ever can it be topped?

Contemporary? Hmm, color me interested. I suppose after the success of BBC's contemporary Sherlock, the floodgates have opened.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just something I oddly must have missed. I also didn't know the author of The Count of Monte Cristo is also the author of The Three Musketeers.
Dumas has done far more than my story and d'Artagnan's via the romances (The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Vallière and The Man in the Iron Mask).

The Black Tulip
Queen Margot
The Fencing Master
The Regent's Daughter
The Two Dianas
The Marie Antoinette romances
The Valois romances
The Corsican Brothers

harSon

Banned
It's BBC and they did awesome job with Sherlock so I'll give 'em a shot.

I think Sherlock lends itself better to a contemporary setting than The Three Muskateers. The 17th Century French setting is part of what makes it great IMO, and I'm not sure what they can do within a contemporary setting to set it apart from any other action television show.

Randdalf

Is this the replacement for Robin Hood/Merlin? One of BBC's perennial other series which is a bit like Doctor Who in format?

Adrian Hodges is a mixed bag... Survivors was up and down. Primeval was awful. My Week with Marilyn was decent.

Lol, my thoughts exactly. Primeval is too bad to even watch for comedy sakes. Everything about it is bad. I don't even care about this show now because of it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If the rumoured Monte Cristo adaptation does happen I wonder what the reaction to Idris Elba's casting as The Count will be.

Bombadil

Banned
Finally, after all these years, someone has discovered The Three Musketeers.

I was afraid this masterpiece of literature would be forgotten.

Hex

Banned
While my favorite I think was an Oliver Reed version, I did kind of dig the Disney version.
I think the actors in Man in the Iron Mask would have made a great Three Musketeers movie though Dicaprio was terrible in the movie.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
why bother?

it can't POSSIBLY reach the heights of the Milla Jovovich version.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
How is the book? I just finished reading Monte Cristo and while lonnnngggg I enjoyed it.
Better paced than The Count, with a better cast of characters, but falls short as a whole. The Count is Emperor, Three Musketeers, the King in Dumas' pantheon.

Zeppu

Just watched the first episode of this, and I must say I rather enjoyed it. Looking forward to next week's episode.

Can't be arsed to make an OP but someone should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom