• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beam teasing big news for Thursday

Jennings

The biggest news for me would be finding out what Beam even is, and why this should be important to me.

The biggest news for me would be finding out what Beam even is, and why this should be important to me.

Beam is Microsoft's broadcasting/streaming service and Twitch/YouTube Gaming competitor. They recently melded into into the Xbox One UI and made it very easy to broadcast.

It has almost zero delay and a lot of ways for viewers to interact with the streamer in interesting ways.

Neptonic

I love beam. They seems to be focusing more on making interesting changes to streaming, not the business side of things like Twitch.

gamz

Matt from Beam tweeted out:

This is going to be the biggest Beam news drop in our history. Keep a close eye out.

Has to be a partnership of some sort.

Beam is so great if you have friends that like watching what you're playing. You and your friend can actually comment on what's happening instead of having a 20 second delay like on twitch or steam streaming.

Noobcraft

Bing is so great if you have friends that like watching what you're playing. You and your friend can actually comment on what's happening instead of having a 20 second delay like on twitch or steam streaming.
Bing is great. Beam is also pretty great in my experience.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What could it be? I can't think of anything that is big news?

Me neither. I suspect thisisnothing.gif.

They've already been bought by MS and integrated into Windows 10/Xbox. Not sure what could be bigger than that for such a young company.

Somnia

I don't see Sony adding that. For what reason?

Why wouldn't they? It's a streaming option for their audience and Beam isn't part of Xbox. These companies deal with each other all the time. If Beam was a part of the Xbox division then I'd agree.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why wouldn't they? It's a streaming option for their audience and Beam isn't part of Xbox. These companies deal with each other all the time. If Beam was a part of the Xbox division then I'd agree.

It's a part of Microsoft.

Do you see a Skype app on PS4? Even the Vita one is gone.

Somnia

It's a part of Microsoft.

Do you see a Skype app on PS4? Even the Vita one is gone.

Do you see Minecraft on PS4? If it can help them at all they'll add it, it doesn't push other platforms at all.

Who knows maybe it won't be, but that's like saying they'll dump Twitch if Amazon ever does a console.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It's too bad that Beam hasn't taken off, the quality and latency are great. YouTube can't even come close to competing with Twitch, so there's little hope for anyone else at this point.

Top Bottom