• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beastie Boys rapper Adam Yauch dead at 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...this is probably the first celebrity death that really hits home... he was only 13 years older than me...ugh... :(

Kaizer

Banned
R.I.P. MCA, you'll be missed

I've been a fan of The Beastie Boys for years now, Intergalatic is still one of my favorite songs ever.

DJMicLuv

Just read the news!
I've got nothing poignant to say but 'Licenced to ill' and 'Paul's Boutique' were a big part of shaping my musical sensibilities and the man was a great rapper who's voice was instantly recognisable and who's humour helped make the BBs unique and loved by many.
Sad news.

devenger

Fuck...processing but this one is rough.

"I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul"

The exact quote I used on FB.

Like many, the first celebrity death I've ever felt an emotion over. I grew up with these guys, and never stopped listening.

NGAMER9

Hearing this today, I was absolutely crushed. Such a positive, life-loving guy doesn't deserve this. I, like most, went through a huge Beastie Boys phase growing up, and MCA was always my favorite. Plus he killed it on bass on later albums. RIP. Spinning Paul's Boutique right now.

Hopefully we'll get a release of Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 sometime too.

Odrion

Banned
Ugh, he and the boys were a huge part of my childhood. My teenhood! My adulthood! The idea that one of their voices is gone forever is horrible. :(

First celebrity death that's really truly hit me hard. Had to fight back tears when I got the news in class today. RIP Yauch. Intergalactic afterlife.

Valnen

Only "rap" I could listen to without getting a migraine. I'm actually kind of shocked by this news, didn't know about the whole cancer thing.

I am so bummed out. If my username doesn't make it obvious I am a huge fan - and I always thought he was the best of the three. RIP MCA.

Erasus

Never got super iton them but sabotage and their lastest album is silly and fun.

It sounds very different

Always sad when someone dies D:

Shaneus

Man, I'm normally able to brush off most celebrity/musician deaths but this one really, REALLY fucking hurts. To me, he always had the most distinctive voice out of the three guys and, considering his gravelly voice, surprised me that he could spit rhymes with the best of them.

I want to watch the Beastie's Criterion DVD today but I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. Waking up to this news... it really fucking sucks :(

Also, tragic confession: I've never listened to Boutique all the way through. Buying it today, will enjoy as a first-time listener. Actually, fuck it. Fuck buying it "online", I'm heading to my local store to get it. Anyone else considering buying something Beasties today should too.

RIP, this is one of the few celebrity deaths that actually had an impact on me. Saw them live a few years ago in Toronto, they still put on a good show :(

When I was in sixth grade we did this thing where every one in the class brought in a song, it would get played, and everybody would try and guess who brought in what. I chose "Sabotage" and the teacher didn't play it because she thought it was inappropriate.

Just a little story I thought I'd share. I'll miss the Beastie Boys.

This sucks. This is the first celebrity death in my life to really bother me. I grew up on the beastie boys and they stayed awesome though my whole life.

Wow, I decided to give Licensed to Ill a spin in my car today without knowing this. (actually it was Ill Communication, I sometimes mix those titles up)

Girls - all I really want is girls
And in the morning it's girls
Cause in the evening it's girls

I like the way that they walk
And it's chill to hear them talk
And I can always make them smile
From White Castle to the Nile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom