• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been said many times, OLED’s rock!

RPS37

I’ve been playing a bunch of Halo Infinite multiplayer lately so I decided to refresh my memory of what Halo 5 was like.

Holy shit. It’s not even Series X enhanced but it has Dolby Vision and honestly it looked pretty amazing.

Are there any other older Xbox One games that look great just because of art style/HDR utilization and therefore would look great on an OLED?

Fuz

Banned
Fred-Flintstone-Watching-TV-tgd235.jpg

fu2FCWJ.gif

Fbh

As a C1 owner I think OLED is both really cool but also overhyped.
In the ideal conditions: A dark room watching content that does take advantage of the high contrast and true blacks (and doesn't have greyish blacks like a lot of movies/Tv shows these days) there's nothing quite like it. But in many other regular use cases like bright scenes or not watching content in a dark room it's comparable (and in specific cases worse) than any other high-ish end TV using other technology

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
QLED is better. Oled is too dark

In a darker environment OLED is S tier and super clean looking
Any tv/monitor is supposed to be viewed at night or at least without direct sunglight.
Even if the screen peaked at 5000 nits, the shadow areas would still get demolished by daylight in the room. It has nothing to do with brghtrness.

SDR full screen experience was/is mastered for 100 nits. And 100 nits is what we are mostly using for last 20 years on lcd monitors.
now here come oled screens that can do 150-200 nits FULL SCREEN or 800-1000nits peak in small window. And real scenes are always higher than that unless you are constantly flash banged.
So I am hearing this comment that oled screens are too dark or dim which is idiotic since we use 100sdr screens for forever and these things are brighter.

The thing is that oleds are also darker than darkest lcd.
If you display a scene, shadow details and dark/black areas can be 0 nits or very low amounts that would get clipped by any light in the room.
Imagine a scene of you going through a tunnel with windows. Walls and corners of the room are 20 nits and windows are 800 nits. Only oled can display this properly and any daylight will clip those shadow details since it's just physics. 500 nits in your room is brighter than 20 nits in dark corner of that tunnel.
That is not limitation of oled. It's just physicsl. Qleds will pump those shadow details at 200 nits, so of course it will be more visible in daytime but it will not be as dark as it should.

Also, considering that any sunlight outside, even in moderatly overcast weather, measures at 500 nits

With this you might be saying: but oleds are too dark to display reality since they are 800 nits and not 3000 nits like real sun outside is.
But it's not how it works. Your eyes adapt and that 3000 nits is dimmed down by your retinas. If You enter yourhouse back again, eyes take a small moment to adapt.
But if You are playing a game ina dark room, your eyes are adapted to dark environment. The screen is only so big. It's not your whole peripheral. So 800 nits is almost blinding as you exit the cave in uncharted 4 or something.
Hope that clears it up a bit why oleds are NOT to dark and why people expect weird things because lcds lit up whole screen at 100-200 nits including dark scenes.

That said - some hdr !!!
just to showhow bright it gets but still there is detail:
hHudVDe.jpg

hcJWzmj.jpg

and just some hdr!
Ci9fuF4.jpg

W1rMH4l.jpg

JoNrced.jpg

Zuzu

Yes it’s amazing! A game I just recently got is Black Ops 4 and it looks really good on the OLED. It’s One X Enhanced so that helps.

Justin9mm

OLEDs do rock. What doesn't rock is people buying 55 and 65 inch OLEDs because that's all most can afford and sitting more than 2 metres away from it. No thanks.

I'll take an 85+ inch LED in my theatre room over a small OLED any day of the week. I don't have to squint my eyes to try and see who's shooting at me in the distance lol.

My lounge in my theatre is 3 metres from my TV, even 77 inch is too small. Even with my 85 inch, I have so much peripheral vision left. Could easily do 98 inch and still not feel too big. People need to learn proper viewing distances when it comes to immersive gaming and movie watching.

Grechy34

My LG OLED after 5 years burnt in terribly and LG weren't very helpful. The picture was amazing but because of the burn in I'm very hesitant to buy another OLED again.

Last edited:

Bojji

My LG OLED after 5 years burnt in terribly and LG weren't very helpful. The picture was amazing but because of the burn in I'm very hesitant to buy another OLED again.

What caused burn it (games with static hud, specific tv channel etc.) and what tv model it was?

I'm asking out of curiosity and want to know what to avoid.

Last edited:

Kabelly

I will say I truly don't exactly know what HDR does but sometimes some media just looks so amazing. Suprisingly Netflix Daredevil looks really freaking good in 4K.

violence

If my oled burns in, I’m just gonna buy another one.

Also, if you’re using a C9, I recommend turning off VRR. It will look washed out otherwise.

Last edited:

Grechy34

What caused burn it (games with static hud, specific tv channel etc.) and what tv model it was?

I'm asking out of curiosity and want to know what to avoid.

It was an earlier LG model (C9). I believe it's fixed so to speak in newer models. I'm not even sure it's burn in or just a fault that rears it's head over time. It's done over 10,000 hours (6 years old now so not as if it's done no work)

This is exactly what has happened to mine.

Last edited:

Liquid_015

Gold Member
looking to buy a new monitor... currently using a LG Ultrawide 38in IPS display. Any recommendations? I've heard the Alienware AW3423DW/DWF is the go-to? Also considering a Samsung G8 Neo...

looking to buy a new monitor... currently using a LG Ultrawide 38in IPS display. Any recommendations? I've heard the Alienware AW3423DW/DWF is the go-to? Also considering a Samsung G8 Neo...
Buy a small OLED tv instead of a monitor. It’s bigger, has speakers, has better image, and maybe important too, it’s much cheaper in comparison than any real “gaming” monitor that is of a bit of quality. Also, you can watch TV on the TV.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have blackout blinds in all my room, and nothing touches OLED.

Years of buying TVs and I finally found nirvana lol

Just buy a service remote and turn auto dimming off, plus that other setting to ensure you get the brightest hdr you can.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Jump from last gen to current gen gaming be like:

tumblr_pyuqmmQQsj1unp0xyo1_500.png

Jump from an older TV to an OLED TV be like:

tumblr_pyuqmmQQsj1unp0xyo2_1280.png
This. Hdr is so good on oled.
When they remastered Alan wake and it didn’t had hdr, I was very disappointed. Would prefer it to have hdr rather than new bad graphics

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have blackout blinds in all my room, and nothing touches OLED.

Years of buying TVs and I finally found nirvana lol

Just buy a service remote and turn auto dimming off, plus that other setting to ensure you get the brightest hdr you can.
Yeah. Tpc and gsr set to off here too. So good. I’ve heard it’s fuckery on c3 and can’t be turned off

Xtib81

They're fine. I''ve been rocking my e9 for 3 years and it's been nothing to write home about honestly. It lacks brightness, has bad uniformity and crushed blacks. I hear the latest G3 and qd Oled screens are fire though.

Last edited:
In a darker environment OLED is S tier and super clean looking

Don't feed the Trolls brother! I'm tired of commenting when people make statements that OLEDs are too dark and such, and I question whether they actually own an OLED TV. I have a LG C8 65" OLED TV, and have been gaming on it daily since 2018. It's on my 3rd floor beach house. We have two balconies on the 3rd floor, so there are a lot of windows and lots of light filtering into the room. I usually put the front balcony shade down, and gaming on my TV is perfectly fine during the day. At night I watch my 4K UHD movies collection, and nothing looks better than an OLED TV. It is plenty bright. I'm currently looking at the 77" C2 or C3. Don't need the G3. Don't mind it, but don't need it either.

As for gaming on my LG OLED. I, too, turn off the HDR mode when playing first-person shooting games (all of the COD games), and musical rhythm games where precise inputs are warranted. With HDR on, the input lag affects the outcome of the games, and they are quite noticeable. With HDR off, my inputs are precise for those genre of games. I have HDR on for all other genre like RPGs and so on. :messenger_peace:

mrmustard

Banned
I prefer super bright FALD tvs. In 100% dark rooms OLEDs are undisputed, but i always have some lights on and then the main advantage melts away.

Zathalus

Dolby vision is not doing anything on xsx. It's just hdr10 in a container.
No game supports Dolby vision.
anyway - yeah, oled is amazing. SDR almost looks black and white now once I am used to HDR oled
Pretty sure Halo and a bunch of other games are Dolby Native. XSX does have a container for all games that are not Dolby Native though.

I just bough a S95C and the picture quality is absolutely astonishing. I upgraded from a cheap LCD, so it's not really a good reference point, but from what I could tell in the store, I prefer it compared to high-end LCD offering from this year. Samsung's QN95C isn't even available in stores, and the QN900C is overpriced considering there's no 8K content.

The OLED does look substantially better in dark environments rather than bright rooms, and the picture quality is something to behold of in the dark. The brightness in HDR can be very uncomfortable in the dark, though. If anyone is worried about brightness, S95C and (presumably) G3 most definitely do not have an issue with brightness, particularly in darker environments. The TV still looks great during daytime, but the room has to be darker for all the OLED qualities to become apparent.

Gaming is essentially perfect due to extremely low input lag and all the gaming features. Overall, OLED does't really have a brightness issue anymore on the high-end. I guess if you're worried about burn it, or need really extreme HDR for very bright room, I could see a case for QLEDs, but OLEDs are truly spectacular.

I honestly don't get the love. I am disappointed in my LG CX.
Imho 4k is nice, but also no true obvious improvement like 720 to 1080 was.
But HDR feels like Samsung over saturation most of the time. And blacks and also whites get crushed. Always funny to adjust it with these "left picture barely visible dialogs" where I sometimes can move it all the way left, but keep it rather in the middle and still in game all greys are gone and I see nothing but darkness, and get glaring whites in other parts of some scenes, where all light grey is gone.

Vita seemed very allright. My phone is alright. Any Youtube HDR video looks mighty fine on my TV too. But every game seems to have fucked up settings, adding popping colors but removing detail. I kinda feel like the lesser IPS HDR but 144Mhz stuff on my monitor added more to the experience than the supposed to be TV kings from LG, even though refresh times on OLED should also be a benefit but just look bad more with 30fps games of course, very blurry compared to a smaller old TN panel, where it probably just is less apparant. Especially black and white credits with moving texts above a reasonable speed are atrocious.

Whitecrow

Banned
Overhyped.

Unless you are seeing a very dark scene in a dark enviroment, you are not getting everything out of it.

If the average brightness level of a scene is not very low, even an IPS panel and an OLED can look almost the same.
Source: I have both next to each other and made a shit ton of comparisons.

HDR (and 10-bit color for a wider color gamut) is a whole different story. But I have it turned off, since I find a calibrated SDR much more pleasing.

I honestly don't get the love. I am disappointed in my LG CX.
Imho 4k is nice, but also no true obvious improvement like 720 to 1080 was.
But HDR feels like Samsung over saturation most of the time. And blacks and also whites get crushed. Always funny to adjust it with these "left picture barely visible dialogs" where I sometimes can move it all the way left, but keep it rather in the middle and still in game all greys are gone and I see nothing but darkness, and get glaring whites in other parts of some scenes, where all light grey is gone.

Vita seemed very allright. My phone is alright. Any Youtube HDR video looks mighty fine on my TV too. But every game seems to have fucked up settings, adding popping colors but removing detail. I kinda feel like the lesser IPS HDR but 144Mhz stuff on my monitor added more to the experience than the supposed to be TV kings from LG, even though refresh times on OLED should also be a benefit but just look bad more with 30fps games of course, very blurry compared to a smaller old TN panel, where it probably just is less apparant. Especially black and white credits with moving texts above a reasonable speed are atrocious.
The first thing you must check if you find any washed out /crushed black problems, is the RGB range, the TV and the console have to be set to the same range.
Some games tho (as Cyberpunk the last time I checked) only throws HDR in limited RGB and will look washed out if you have it set to full.

This kind of shit happens becasue devs dont worry about this details as much as we think they do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom