• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Socreges

Banned
Scotland. BrewDog are Scottish.
giphy.gif

Heading back to DC at the end of the month, and Churchkey has what sounds like an amazing event going on.
THE OSKAR BLUES BARREL-AGED TEN FIDY PARTY
-Java Ten FIDY (Bourbon BA Imperial Stout w/ Coffee)
-Brandy Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY (Apple Brandy BA Imperial Stout)
-Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY (Bourbon BA Imperial Stout)
-Ten FIDY (Imperial Stout)
-Barrel-Aged G’Knight (Bourbon BA Imperial IPA)
-Centennial Dry-Hopped Dale’s Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
-The Deuce (American IPA)
-Hotbox Coffee IPA (American IPA w/ Coffee)
-Death by Coconut (Robust Porter w/ Coconut)
-G'Knight (Imperial IPA)
-Dale's Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
-Oskar Blues IPA (American IPA)
-Mama's Little Yella Pils (Pilsner)

Gimme.

riotous

Banned
@newdayrock: Nice! I'd love to try those Ten Fiddy variants.

I get back to Seattle from a work trip just in time for the annual Barrel Junction, which is looking pretty good:

1. AleSong Rhino Suit (Imperial Milk Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels) 2016
2. Anderson Valley Huge Arker (Imperial Stout Aged in Wild Turkey Barrels) 2016
3. Ballast Point Bourbon Barrel Aged Black Marlin Porter 2016
4. Belching Beaver Bourbon Barrel Aged Horchata Imperial Milk Stout 2016
5. Cloudburst White Wine Aged Saison Blend 2017
6. Crux [BANISHED] Tough Love (Bourbon Aged Russian Imperial Stout) 2015
7. Deschutes The Abyss 2013
8. Elevation Oil Man (Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout) 2015
9. Firestone Walker 19th Anniversary (Blend of Barrel Aged Ales) 2015
10. Fort George Matryoskha (Four Roses Bourbon Aged Russian Imperial Stout) 2016
11. Fremont Bourbon Aged Dark Star Imperial Oatmeal Stout 2015
12. Fremont BBOMB (Bourbon Aged Winter Ale) 2014
13. Georgetown Bourbon Aged 18 Pound Imperial Porter 2016
14. Great Divide Whiskey Aged Yeti Imperial Stout 2016
15. High Water Sugaree Maple Bourbon Pecan Pie Strong Ale 2015
16. Lagunitas Willet Whiskey Aged Imperial Stout 2016
17. Laughing Dog The Dogfather (Bourbon Aged Imperial Stout) 2014
18. Midnight Berserker (Bourbon Aged Imperial Stout) 2015
19. New Holland Coconut Dragon's Milk (Aged in Rum Barrels) 2016
20. New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Aged Imperial Milk Stout) 2016
21. North Sound Creepy Monkey (Bourbon & Whiskey Aged Imperial Brown Ale) 2015
22. Old Schoolhouse Hooligan Stout (Oak Aged) 2016
23. Schilling Barrel Project #1 (Heaven Hill's Boubon Aged Apple Brandy) 2015
24. Schooner Exact Bourbon Aged Imperial Porter 2015
25. Silver City Big Magnificent Bastard (Scotch Ale Aged in Scotch Whiskey Barrels) 2016
26. Skookum Barrel Aged Breakfast of Crows Imperial Stout 2016
27. Snipes Mountain Terror in The Wood (Red Wine Aged Imperial Stout) 2013
28. To Ol Fall of Man (Bourbon Aged Imperial Porter) 2015
29. Wander Bourbon Aged Emissary Imperial Stout 2016
30. Widmer BrrrBON (Vanilla Infused Version) 2012
**Daily Headliners (Starting on Monday January 16th)**
January 16th: Block 15 Figgy Pudding (Brandy Barrel Aged Stong Ale) 2016
January 17th: North Coast Old Stock Reserve (Old Ale aged in Rye Whiskey and Wheat Whiskey Barrels) 2014
January 18th: Lost Abbey Deliverance (Bourbon Aged Serpent's Stout and Brandy Aged Angels Share) 2013
January 19th: Breakside Oligarch (Imperial Stout Aged in Boubon Barrels) 2016
January 20th: Oskar Blues Barrel Aged Ten Fidy Imperial Stout 2016
January 21st: Epic Brewing Double Barrel Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout 2016
January 22nd: Holy Mountain Deadfall (Stock Ale Aged in Westland Whiskey Barrels) 2016

Buying up the shelf turds no one wants.

31393233704_c6ce8cb158_z.jpg

I love that everyone ignores the Pannepot Reserva. Such an amazing beer. The Speedway is about 2 years old. Decided to give it a home. Everybody is so focused on local hype and NE IPAs...

HiResDes

I love that everyone ignores the Pannepot Reserva. Such an amazing beer. The Speedway is about 2 years old. Decided to give it a home. Everybody is so focused on local hype and NE IPAs...
Never had the Pannepot it's on my list now though

Pannepot is good stuff. The Pannepooch collab Hair of the Dog did with them once was really nice.

Strong Ales and Barleywines aren't fancy and typically full of adjuncts that draw hype.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Agreed, Pannepot makes fantastic stuff. The XXX Quadruple is great stuff within the Belgian quadruple style.

I love Speedway, it's in my top 10 Imperial Stouts. Can't believe wherever you got those from would be trying to sell it for 2 years.

If I make a chili with a beer in it, do I post it as a check in on Untappd as I eat it?

Not serious.

But, it is my first time using beer as an ingredient, and loving what it has added. Used a Founder's Porter.

If I make a chili with a beer in it, do I post it as a check in on Untappd as I eat it?

Not serious.

But, it is my first time using beer as an ingredient, and loving what it has added. Used a Founder's Porter.

Beer ads some great qualities to beer. Porter brings one thing, IPAs another, Pilsners something completely different!

Not serious.

Drink some of the beer first than show the bottle in front of your cooking apparatus.

I do that, cause it's fun.

My wife uses rauchbier a lot in a gochujang black bean stew she makes.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
When I'm making a big beef stew, I usually chuck one or two Chimay Blue's in it. Dark beer does wonderful things to a stew.

Can't wait. The Shlafly event last night was okay as well but I got there too late for the bottle pours. Their toasted coconut was pretty good but the best thing they brought was the dessert that they serve at their bar.

Lemme know if you're interested in a mini-BeerGAF drink-up. I'll 100% be there.

Went by the store before work today and the only thing sitting on the new counter was one six pack of Hopslam. I am the only person in the store for about ten minutes, just casually looking at everything else.

Then another guy comes in and seemed distraught that I was walking around with Hopslam and there was none left. Eventually I found a clerk and they had about 25 more cases so he brought out more. The other customer was a bit excited. And then as I was checking out multiple people were coming in to buy as much as they could.
I wasn't even expecting to find it. It was just a "Oh, I guess that is out. Think I will get it."

I mean, it is good, but not THAT good. They said I could buy 2 six packs, but one is enough for me. I just don't understand why people go that bonkers for it. Just like any 3 Floyds release that hits the shelf.

Hop JuJu is where it's at. Too bad people go nuts for that one now too...

Give it a couple of years. Seems the only things around here that people go fucking bonkers over are Hopslam and KBS. And still Zombie Dust for some reason. People here sleeping on Alpha King, which is fine by me when I feel the need for an IPA from 3 Floyds.

Give it a couple of years. Seems the only things around here that people go fucking bonkers over are Hopslam and KBS. And still Zombie Dust for some reason. People here sleeping on Alpha King, which is fine by me when I feel the need for an IPA from 3 Floyds.

All the new "bros" into craft beer will always be all over those. So many good DIPAs and barrel-aged offerings out there anymore I don't get the constant hype. Still see Big Bad Baptist on the shelf. I'd rather grab that than dealing with the KBS shit show. I'd like to ask some of these guys what their favorite Samuel Smith beer is and they'd probably say "Boston Lager"...

All the new "bros" into craft beer will always be all over those. So many good DIPAs and barrel-aged offerings out there anymore I don't get the constant hype. Still see Big Bad Baptist on the shelf. I'd rather grab that than dealing with the KBS shit show. I'd like to ask some of these guys what their favorite Samuel Smith beer is and they'd probably say "Boston Lager"...

I would love to try Big Bad Baptist, but it aint here in KY. Dammit. Same with Sunday Morning Stout by Weyerbacher.

As for fads, it seems the sour fad never really exploded around here. There was like a month or so where anything sour had people going nuts, but not most just sit there with little to no fanfare.

I would love to try Big Bad Baptist, but it aint here in KY. Dammit. Same with Sunday Morning Stout by Weyerbacher.

As for fads, it seems the sour fad never really exploded around here. There was like a month or so where anything sour had people going nuts, but not most just sit there with little to no fanfare.

I can send you both of those if you'd like. People still go nuts for sours up here. Cantillon never sees the shelves and Tilquin can be found if you know where to look. 3 Fonteinen is a rare siting too.

HiResDes

Big Bad Baptist is really good but there's a variance in the amount of coffee vs the amount of barrel that you can get due to their being multiple batches hitting the shelves simultaneously... I definitely prefer more coffee to barrel, so maybe I'll love son of Baptist.

I think I might trade it all to have Bo and Luke as I've acquired such a strong taste for smoke in beer lately

I can send you both of those if you'd like. People still go nuts for sours up here. Cantillon never sees the shelves and Tilquin can be found if you know where to look. 3 Fonteinen is a rare siting too.

Oh, that would be amazing. Is there anything in southern KY you have been wanting to try that I might be able to secure or have stashed away?

Big Bad Baptist is really good but there's a variance in the amount of coffee vs the amount of barrel that you can get due to their being multiple batches hitting the shelves simultaneously... I definitely prefer more coffee to barrel, so maybe I'll love son of Baptist.

I think I might trade it all to have Bo and Luke as I've acquired such a strong taste for smoke in beer lately
I have a bottle of Bo and Luke in the fridge from '14 I think (was going to open it for my b'day but never got to it). Be glad to open it with you sometime. Also, Son of Baptist isn't barrel-aged, they will just be using a different coffee for each batch they brew.

Oh, that would be amazing. Is there anything in southern KY you have been wanting to try that I might be able to secure or have stashed away?
Not sure what you have down there since I'm in Cincy but I'm not too picky. I'd be good with whatever you wanted to send. You can probably check my Untappd to see a lot of what I've had.

I have a bottle of Bo and Luke in the fridge from '14 I think (was going to open it for my b'day but never got to it). Be glad to open it with you sometime. Also, Son of Baptist isn't barrel-aged, they will just be using a different coffee for each batch they brew.

Not sure what you have down there since I'm in Cincy but I'm not too picky. I'd be good with whatever you wanted to send. You can probably check my Untappd to see a lot of what I've had.

Was about to say I have a newer bottle of Bo & Luke, but that is out the window, lol.
I really don't have much sitting around, but shall go to your Untappd to see what you might like.

This is my first trade not in person, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Was about to say I have a newer bottle of Bo & Luke, but that is out the window, lol.
I really don't have much sitting around, but shall go to your Untappd to see what you might like.

This is my first trade not in person, so this will be a learning experience for me.

No worries. Just think when packing, if you can drop it from shoulder height and not flinch, you should be good. Bubble wrap and packing peanuts are your friends.

No worries. Just think when packing, if you can drop it from shoulder height and not flinch, you should be good. Bubble wrap and packing peanuts are your friends.

Oh, I can get bubble wrap out the wazzo from work. There is no problem there.

But still just worried about trading something worthwhile. Any kind of trade for anything I am worried about not pulling my weight in the bargain.

Lemme know if you're interested in a mini-BeerGAF drink-up. I'll 100% be there.

Mention it again closer to the event if you remember. Pretty sure I'll be there but who knows. You would think it would be easier to plan stuff when the place is right in your back yard but sometimes it just passes me by because I don't have to actually make any big plans to go.

I'm curious what sours you're seeing sit on the shelves. Cantillon, 3F and the fruited Tilquins are really the only ones that don't last long.

I'm curious what sours you're seeing sit on the shelves. Cantillon, 3F and the fruited Tilquins are really the only ones that don't last long.

Lots of Bruery stuff. Cant remember many of the others I have seen. I usually gloss over them and don't pay attention too much. I will look closer tonight or tomorrow.

Lots of Bruery stuff. Cant remember many of the others I have seen. I usually gloss over them and don't pay attention too much. I will look closer tonight or tomorrow.

Bruery stuff sits everywhere. I bet the lambic arms race is just as strong down in KY as it is anywhere. Probably stronger since Shelton Brothers seems to ship a bunch to that state.

Bruery stuff sits everywhere. I bet the lambic arms race is just as strong down in KY as it is anywhere. Probably stronger since Shelton Brothers seems to ship a bunch to that state.

We do get lots of Shelton Brothers. Again, I shall look.

As for the stuff you have, are they bombers or regular bottles?

riotous

Banned
Those $30-35 a bottle Cascade sours sit forever; I don't understand why anyone bothers to order cases of the stuff.

Oh, I can get bubble wrap out the wazzo from work. There is no problem there.

But still just worried about trading something worthwhile. Any kind of trade for anything I am worried about not pulling my weight in the bargain.

Don't worry about it. I'm good with whatever you send. Let me know if you're interested in anything else. Have plenty of Jackie O's or any locals (MadTree, Rhinegeist, Rivertown, 50West).

Lotto

Those $30-35 a bottle Cascade sours sit forever; I don't understand why anyone bothers to order cases of the stuff.

For real. I've always wanted to try one but that price... (says the guy who bought Veritas 16 for 40 bucks.) I think I'm done with most Lost Abbey bottle releases though, they always managed to do something shitty or mess up fantastically right before they release a bottle.

Aside from Upland and Pizza Boy, Cascade is the biggest rip off in craft beer. I fondly remember Kriek and Apricot 750s for $13 seven or eight years ago. If you're in Portland the pours are resonably priced, but the bottles... Cascade is trying to gouge people and they're somewhat successful at it. People are starting to catch on, forcing them to start shipping their bottles more places. Like South Korea.

We do get lots of Shelton Brothers. Again, I shall look.

As for the stuff you have, are they bombers or regular bottles?

Bruery? Both.

Shelton Brothers distributes a ton of brands and a lot of them sit around for ages. They are in charge of Cantillon and Drie Fontenein in the US, however. And those don't last anywhere.

Even if I think Hopslam is overrated, I was thinking about it all day at work. Definitely a nice, refreshing way to begin the night after a shift.

And looking at the packaging date on the bottom. It is from Monday. That is fresh as fuck.

Lotto

Aside from Upland and Pizza Boy, Cascade is the biggest rip off in craft beer. I fondly remember Kriek and Apricot 750s for $13 seven or eight years ago. If you're in Portland the pours are resonably priced, but the bottles... Cascade is trying to gouge people and they're somewhat successful at it. People are starting to catch on, forcing them to start shipping their bottles more places. Like South Korea.

Good to know, I probably won't ever pick one up but if I see it on tap for a reasonable price (which I haven't seen surprisingly) then I'll try it out.

HiResDes

I think even the Jolly Pumpkin prices we pay in Cincinnati are a bit gouged due to the distribution maybe. The cheapest sours are Belgian ive found, well we don't get much Cantillon.

Top Bottom