• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before Midnight |OT| The Best Film of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahuljx

Loved this film so much and easily my favourite of the trilogy. It just mirrors relationships and everything about them so well.

For me this was about a couple who love each other. Like all couples who are together there are some compromises which were made. Why? Because love came first then.Now that the spark is gone and you find yourself getting old and more importantly feeling old, those compromises feel like resentments.So in the end when they fight, its not supposed to be earth shattering or the sign of a break-up. Its just a couple venting to eachother on one particular night.So they fight and make up like most of us do because the underlying love is still there, or as Woody said "because we need the eggs".

Deply showed off her tits for a good 15 mins straight. Something I would have liked to see in the first film when she was much younger but still nice nevertheless.

Prologue

Anyone find the previous movies have lost some spark after this one? I understand that this one is a bit more realistic but it was just draining watching them argue like that.

Anyone find the previous movies have lost some spark after this one? I understand that this one is a bit more realistic but it was just draining watching them argue like that.

I found that Sunrise had lost some of its spark after watching Sunset. But that's only because Sunset is that much better.

Finally got a chance to see this. Glad the iTunes spoiler wasn't (
the description in all the online stores say Jesse and Celine are married
,) annoyed at the spoiler on the inside of the BluRay case (
the twins.
) In the grand scheme of things, both were minor and revealed (
or not
) fairly early on, but it would have been nice to see them organically and not expecting them.

When I turned off the movie, I wasn't sure where to rank it. The last half hour really hit a little too close to home for me. Couldn't stop thinking about for the rest of the day though, and now I'd rank it easily alongside the other two. Any more than that will need to wait for me to go through the series again.

The only disappointment for me was the dinner scene, especially Walter Lassally as Patrick. I know he isn't an actor by trade, but his delivery on some of those lines was really stilted and awkward. The whole scene felt very scripted and the discussion tangents felt much more disconnected compared to the rest of Midnight and the whole of the other two movies which had such natural dialogue.

I've kind of joked about how it shouldn't be a trilogy since there's an obvious fourth movie needed to complete the cycle (
Before Noon
.) I've even got a plot sketched out for Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy to swipe if they care to (fan fiction alert, please disregard the following):
In nine years, Hank should be about 23, a perfect age to get married too young. They're in either Chicago or some European destination wedding location. Jesse and Celine start the morning fighting between each other and with Jesse's ex-wife (to be played by Uma Thurman.) Jesse being the practical one (Hank's making a mistake getting married so young, he needs to find his "Celine," etc...,) Celine playing the romantic, and Uma bringing the usual psycho ex-spouse shit. Over the course of the rest of the morning, Celine calms Jesse's fears so that he accepts Hank's decision and we can truly see the two of them continuing in to old age together. Clock hits noon, wedding starts, fade to black.

I loved this movie. Saw it in theaters (after almost a movie's worth of trailers!) and now on disc.

The first movie was about the lives they wanted to have and the ideals/ideas they wanted to chase.

The second movie was about them realizing that their lives were nowhere close to where they wanted them to be.

The third movie was about the scars they bore for fixing the mistakes they finally realized in Sunset.

I would have never thought the movies complemented each other so well, but they're all amazing. Sunset is still my favorite movie of all time, because it
gradually strips away at the character's outer layers and dives deeper than the everyday conversational back-and-forth personas they've learned to adopt
, but the third one still manages to build from that foundation in a meaningful way.

Can't believe my thread title came true, but indeed it has.

I think Gravity may have beat it for sheer spectacle (as a theatre going experience)
I may appreciate Upstream Color more for Shane Carruth's total control/indiness

But damn, Before Midnight just gave me all the feels

jwk94

Man, I finally watched this after watching Sunrise and Sunset over the Summer and I'm impressed. I loved the dialogue between the two, but I do believe the hotel argument went on for a little too long. When it was all said and done, though, I was satisfied. I like that they were able to not exactly work things out, but kinda put it behind them and pick up where they left off. They both realized that they have their faults, but they just have to live with that.

I also found myself realizing that a lot of hotel and end felt familiar for me. Not because I went through the same scenario, but because my ex and I ended up breaking up because we kept arguing. I don't know if that could have been fixed if we had just sat down and talked it out, it's just a simple observation.

Anyway, I would have liked a Before Noon or something like that, but I'm satisfied with this ending. Was anybody else surprised by how they never mentioned what happened to Celine's ex from the end of Sunset?

border

Julie Delpy received a Golden Globe nomination for this. "Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical".

Gee, did I fall asleep or something and miss all the jokes and/or musical numbers?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Just watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset tonight (for the first time)...
Wow. Can't wait to watch Before Midnight.

Kallor

Finally got to watch this last night after watching the first two a few months apart last year. So fucking good! Wow. You just have to take a long breath after any of these three movies. I think this one is my second favorite of the three after Sunrise.

The Best film of 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom