• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before PSVR: Sony’s PS2 VR headset, the PUD-J5A

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Cool so VR failed back then as well. lol

... ill show myself out

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Cool so VR failed back then as well. lol

... ill show myself out
UQBH1nz.gif

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Thanks for bumping this thread. I remember not quite understanding what this was when it was announced.

To think that it’s almost 2021 and we’re still not anywhere close to human FOV or decent refresh rates.

Heck, it could be yet another decade before we get 240hz, 8K per eye, 200 degree FOV in a small, wireless form factor.

Stereoscopic 3D and VR are completely different things though.

it was 3D with actual 3DoF headtracking

Heck, it could be yet another decade before we get 240hz, 8K per eye, 200 degree FOV in a small, wireless form factor.

yes, but I've been playing and having fun and amazement since the atari of VR while you wait and wither

EbSW_VGXgAEOT1V

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
it was 3D with actual 3DoF headtracking

yes, but I've been playing and having fun and amazement since the atari of VR while you wait and wither

EbSW_VGXgAEOT1V

This comic LITERALLY is every thought I've had when people make those same lame comments about why we all need to keep waiting on the tech to improve. I'm like the kid enjoying current VR with each stage of it's development. No need to wait. It's good now.

lestar

Virtuality was a 3DoF arcade experience only available in a few select places. Sega VR headset was a prototype vaporware (as was atari's) and VB was just a monochrome 3D glasses, there's no headtracking at all, only a stiff and painful neck. It's no more VR than Virtua Fighter.

There was no consumer VR in the 90s, it's a common myth. And even 10 years later, on PS2, tech was not much better either. Yes, this one is 3DoF but the FOV at 25 degrees is so tiny the immersion is not there, it's just like a TV in front of you rather than being there. Took another 12 years or so to have 6DoF with nice immersion at around 100 degrees - and graphics had time to mature to more realistic levels.

Btw, fans of futuristic slim form factors: the slimmer the headset, the smaller the FOV and lenses. That's how it goes with optics physical limits.

Here's a good documentary about virtuality and the origins of vr.

And many people complain about VR today, but this is a 30+ years tech that's keep evolving. Now every one with an average smartphone and a 10$ cardboard headset can enjoy VR lightyears better than any VR headset from 90s and mid 2000s

Top Bottom