• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before the new GPU's launch: 5700 XT vs 2060 Super and 2070 Super. An Ode to the Future.

thelastword

Banned

The 5700XT is priced similarly to the 2060 Super at $400, so it was to go up against it, yet, it performs better than the 2060 Super, the RTX 2070 and it matches the 2070 Super which is supposed to be replacing the RTX 2080 at $500.......Then overall, the bump in performance in many older games and newer games....

If this performance of RDNA 1, which was still getting it's joints greased up from GCN, is so insanely fast with a measly 40 CU's..... I can only imagine how fast RDNA 2 is, with rumors suggesting a 60% improvement per watt on the new chip, mainly because of architectural improvements mind you, not primarily on node improvements.......This should be a very interesting GPU battle come the holidays. No wonder Nvidia is already preparing Supers and Ti's with more Vram to replace the September 17th GPU's in short order...

What's most noteworthy is that the 5700 series was to go against the vanilla 2060, 2070's, 2080's......NV reacted to the 5700 series by releasing supers and the 5700 series is still the better value over the Supers, even the 2070 Super at an extra $100.....AMD has been so silent and have been using ninja and fort knox strategies to stop leaks, The Ryzen engineers were tasked to improve RDNA after RDNA 1, so this is their first effort.......The Ryzen guys are straight bonkers, so I'm extremely excited......Both for Ryzen 4000 and RDNA 2.....Should be a an extremely great year for AMD.....Not forgetting the consoles are launching in November as well......That's quite a few driving products from AMD.....I like the smell of this new GPU and CPU revolution in the morning.......The industry seems to be great again. There is now competition at all angles....

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
AMD GPUs sucks in general and when they release something interesting like Radeon VII it's super limited production.

thelastword

Banned
All four Raytracing games 5700 XT didn't get this gen. It's all irrelevant because as I said Raytracing would only officially begin when the new consoles would launch.....That is so because Raytracing is only going to see a focus now. NV, AMD and consoles are onboard. Now it can begin, it was just being beta tested and demoed on Turing.....

AMD GPUs sucks in general and when they release something interesting like Radeon VII it's super limited production.
You just saw some awesome performance in 1080p, 1440p and 4k vs a $500 2070 Super and AMD GPU's suck?....5700XT is a much better gaming GPU than Radeon VII......The perf per watt there is just insane....

M1chl

All four Raytracing games 5700 XT didn't get this gen. It's all irrelevant because as I said Raytracing would only officially begin when the new consoles would launch.....That is so because Raytracing is only going to see a focus now. NV, AMD and consoles are onboard. Now it can begin, it was just being beta tested and demoed on Turing.....

You just saw some awesome performance in 1080p, 1440p and 4k vs a $500 2070 Super and AMD GPU's suck?....5700XT is a much better gaming GPU than Radeon VII......The perf per watt there is just insane....
It's card without current gen features, which hardly last long and with plummeting prices you can buy nVidia RTX without an issue. So why waste money...

thelastword

Banned
It's card without current gen features, which hardly last long and with plummeting prices you can buy nVidia RTX without an issue. So why waste money...
If you read the title, no one is saying to go rush to buy the 5700XT. Just to highlight it's stellar performance against turing cards that came primarily to combat RDNA 1 and RDNA still beat those by far on perf per dollar. A massive beating...

On the pure speed of RDNA 1, this bodes well for RDNA 2, with all the now touted next gen features and even more as they have not unveiled all their features yet.....As I said, the performance of RDNA 1 and the pure speed of this 251 mm2 GPU bodes well for the 505 mm2 RDNA 2 on an improved node and architecture......

The performance of Turing in the few RTX titles is irrelevant anyway as you need DLSS to make these games somewhat playable with the handful of games....RTX had no impact on people purchasing Turing....Neither did or will DLSS....The performance of the 2060s and 2070s on the few RTX games is nothing to highlight. The majority of the games in the video, as can be clearly seen, has no Raytracing.....That has been the case, the entire Turing generation, so I fail to see how it is relevant between those cards, even if somebody is purchasing now....These turing cards were always bad value, back then and even now.......

M1chl

If you read the title, no one is saying to go rush to buy the 5700XT. Just to highlight it's stellar performance against turing cards that came primarily to combat RDNA 1 and RDNA still beat those by far on perf per dollar. A massive beating...

On the pure speed of RDNA 1, this bodes well for RDNA 2, with all the now touted next gen features and even more as they have not unveiled all their features yet.....As I said, the performance of RDNA 1 and the pure speed of this 251 mm2 GPU bodes well for the 505 mm2 RDNA 2 on an improved node and architecture......

The performance of Turing in the few RTX titles is irrelevant anyway as you need DLSS to make these games somewhat playable with the handful of games....RTX had no impact on people purchasing Turing....Neither did or will DLSS....The performance of the 2060s and 2070s on the few RTX games is nothing to highlight. The majority of the games in the video, as can be clearly seen, has no Raytracing.....That has been the case, the entire Turing generation, so I fail to see how it is relevant between those cards, even if somebody is purchasing now....These turing cards were always bad value, back then and even now.......
I don't agree with bad value, because potential to long life through DLSS is big and it's hyped a lot. Raytracing is obviously pretty moot point to hype those cards about, but I mainly meant that they are way better positioned to last to certain unknown future now that even a pleb basically can affor RTX2080 - 2080 Ti from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-DUAL-...491922?hash=item4db33b5552:g:tS4AAOSw9nVfXQIl So again, there are better deals out there. It's basically +60 buck more than what 5700XT cost in here.

LQX

I have a 2060 and it has been amazing. I actually bought it as a stop-gap of sorts before getting something like 2080 which was scarce at the time, but it ran damn near everything I threw at it on 1440p that I never bothered to upgrade it. Even Fight Simulator 2020 runs decent on it with high settings.

thelastword

Banned
I don't agree with bad value, because potential to long life through DLSS is big and it's hyped a lot. Raytracing is obviously pretty moot point to hype those cards about, but I mainly meant that they are way better positioned to last to certain unknown future now that even a pleb basically can affor RTX2080 - 2080 Ti from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-DUAL-...491922?hash=item4db33b5552:g:tS4AAOSw9nVfXQIl So again, there are better deals out there. It's basically +60 buck more than what 5700XT cost in here.
Nobody should buy these cards now, especially with the new gpus upon us. The point of the thread was to show how fast a first gen RDNA was, just to get an inkling of what to expect from the newer AMD cards, just much better
and more competitive than RDNA 1 even.

When Jensen revealed Ampere, some people had already written out AMD, forgetting how strong their current cards really are..

Top Bottom