• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beginning of the end? Steve Ballmer is being asked to step down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastmen

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
I wonder what this would have looked like if they were half a decade late to the mp3 player game. Imagine if MS had been able to grow an ecosystem like iTunes in the early 00s and taking over a lion's share of the PC mp3 market. Or if they had been able to make something that would help the Tablet market go.

*hugs TabletPC and old Zune anyway*

You really think MS could have made itunes without every company running to the united states goverment and the EU ?

Itunes basicly created a monopoly for apple in early to mid 00s . They used their market share to get exclusive content and then use DRM to keep everyone tied to their software and hardware.

I still don't know how apple got away with it.

alphaNoid said:
Ballmer is a businessman not a visionary. Simply put, MS needs a visionary at the helms with great businessmen in his shadows.
This. Ballmer is hopeless, he's been wrong again and again and again and clearly has no real vision. Get someone in there who can make Microsoft innovate again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MSFT Income Statement 2008-2010

Period Ending: Jun 30, 2010

Net Income: 18,760,000,000

Again MS is the poster child for why the stock market is fucked up, and why this hedge fund guy can go fuck himself irregardless of whether us tech geeks think Ballmer has been good or not.

eastmen said:
You really think MS could have made itunes without every company running to the united states goverment and the EU ?

Itunes basicly created a monopoly for apple in early to mid 00s . They used their market share to get exclusive content and then use DRM to keep everyone tied to their software and hardware.

I still don't know how apple got away with it.
Interesting thoughts. I don't necessarily disagree, but the same time, MS had their own DRM. Lest we forget WMA.

numble

Brettison said:

Again MS is the poster child for why the stock market is fucked up, and why this hedge fund guy can go fuck himself irregardless of whether us tech geeks think Ballmer has been good or not.
It's about growth.

Microsoft has only little more than tripled the profit coming in from 10 years ago.
Dell has only doubled.
HP has about 4x.
IBM has nearly 5x.
Cisco has about 4x from 2002.
Google has over 8x.
Intel has about 10x.
Apple is 20x.

I read an article recently about how the whole Netscape vs Microsoft antitrust suit really, REALLY opened the doors to competitors like Google and Apple and now Microsoft finds itself in positions opposite what it was formerly being sued for. In other words, that lawsuit really screwed them up.

Also, doesn't MS pay quarterly dividends now? They need to up those :)

numble, it's not about growth, either, it's all about perception.

BigNastyCurve said:
I read an article recently about how the whole Netscape vs Microsoft antitrust suit really, REALLY opened the doors to competitors like Google and Apple and now Microsoft finds itself in positions that it was formerly being sued for. In other words, that lawsuit really screwed them up.
No.

Windows still represents something like 80%-90% of the desktop OS market.

Internet Explorer (all versions) still represents more than half of the browser market.

No mobile phone OS has more than 40% of the market.

Office is still the world standard.

Anno

Brettison said:

I believe Einhorn's fund is the 2nd or 3rd largest public holder of Microsoft stock, so I don't think he has any doubt in the company. For better or worse Ballmer definitely has the perception of being a lackluster CEO. Same with John Chambers. I'm not really sure if I think it would make a difference in the business or not to replace him but I'm almost sure it'd make a difference in the stock price. Which, I agree with you, is stupid.

The media can only disparage Microsoft for so long (I think?). Eventually they'll have to recognize that their near monopolistic position in Office/Windows isn't going away anytime soon, that their business-related products are rapidly becoming the new cash cow and, through sheer force of money, they're forcing their way into search marketshare and, I hope, mobile. Until then my dividends continue to reinvest at ridiculously low valuations.

Dreams-Visions said:
No.

Internet Explorer (all versions) still represents more than half of the browser market.

And yet everything you listed is things MS has always ruled. Now look at the emerging markets and tell me they aren't completely, 100% boned in them.

eastmen

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Interesting thoughts. I don't necessarily disagree, but the same time, MS had their own DRM. Lest we forget WMA.

Well MS did plays for sure which was a group of companys together . So MS didn't go it alone. WMA came after that failed.

Anno said:
I believe Einhorn's fund is the 2nd or 3rd largest public holder of Microsoft stock, so I don't think he has any doubt in the company. For better or worse Ballmer definitely has the perception of being a lackluster CEO. Same with John Chambers. I'm not really sure if I think it would make a difference in the business or not to replace him but I'm almost sure it'd make a difference in the stock price. Which, I agree with you, is stupid.

The media can only disparage Microsoft for so long (I think?). Eventually they'll have to recognize that their near monopolistic position in Office/Windows isn't going away anytime soon, that their business-related products are rapidly becoming the new cash cow and, through sheer force of money, they're forcing their way into search marketshare and, I hope, mobile. Until then my dividends continue to reinvest at ridiculously low valuations.
Again, the problem is growth. What is the value in them retaining the marketshare in the desktop OS market if that market is going to shrink over time and be replaced by a tablet market for which they still have no product to compete...and the mobile phone market in which they are struggling mightily to compete.

They need some real growth. Maintaining what they have isn't enough.

eastmen said:
Well MS did plays for sure which was a group of companys together . So MS didn't go it alone. WMA came after that failed.
understood. Is AAC Apple's alone? I'm not familiar.

BigNastyCurve said:
And yet everything you listed is things MS has always ruled. Now look at the emerging markets and tell me they aren't completely, 100% boned in them.
I only pointed them out because they represented the crux of the anti-trust suit.

BigNastyCurve said:
I read an article recently about how the whole Netscape vs Microsoft antitrust suit really, REALLY opened the doors to competitors like Google and Apple and now Microsoft finds itself in positions opposite what it was formerly being sued for. In other words, that lawsuit really screwed them up.

Also, doesn't MS pay quarterly dividends now? They need to up those :)
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/commentary/microsoft-antitrust-myth-136152

eastmen

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
No.

Those aren't the only markets. Google has what 80% + of the market for internet searches ?

Then you have to factor in the Ipod line and how the monopoly apple has in MP3 players and music/movies software through that helped them create a sucessful handheld OS .

One can argue that Both Search and Itunes were The monopolys that Google/Apple used to get into other markets.

Just as windows was the monopoly that let MS get IE into market donimation.

I think the major problem now for ms is that their hands have been tied for a decade.

Look when you buy IOS you get the operating system and then 20 or so Apple software products. You really never need to install something else onto your OSX install unless you want better verisons of those programs.

Do you think if MS bought Adobe (really smart move I believe ) and put a dumbed down verison of Adobe photoshop and Premier in windows that everyone out there wouldn't complain ?

But this is exactly what Apple has done with Final cut. All IMACs I've set up at the school come with a form of final cut.

MS needs to install a box to give you an option of what browser you want to install , but apple is free to make safari the default browser.

Now I know what your going to say, MS has a monopoly with windows at over 88% of the market. But Apple has a monopoly on OSX platforms. They are such a strong force on their own platform with thier own sofware that no one can compete. Who is going to buy sony vegas on a mac when they can get final cut ? Who is going to buy a podcast or music product when they have garage band ?

Personaly I think ms should start trying to bundle in these things again and see what they can do without getting introuble. MS security essientials or whatever its called now should come preinstalled on every windows pc. With it a pc is extremely secure.

eastmen

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
understood. Is AAC Apple's alone? I'm not familiar.

AAC is an industry standard. The problem wasn't the format but the DRM that apple put on top of it.

As far as I'm aware itunes is the only thing that could play it back in the day. And the only way to get the drm off was to use itunes to create a regular wav cd and then re rip it using windows media player or something else. Or a program like fairplay that was sued into the ground.

The fact of the matter is that for many without that computer knowledge that spend hundreds of bucks on itunes music was SOL if they wanted to move to another platform. It was not easy at all to do and if you had say 100 songs , you'd have to burn at least 10 cds worth of music and then re rip it all. Not really something you'd want to do .

I've told my family and friends many times to watch what platforms you buy because if you don't like it or you want to move to a new better platform your SOL . All your itunes apps wont go to andriod or windows or black berry .

Its why I think windows x86-64 is the way of the future. Coupled with pcs and xboxs you may be able to get a complete ecosystem that so far google and apple don't seem able to provide.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
eastmen said:
MS needs to install a box to give you an option of what browser you want to install , but apple is free to make safari the default browser.

Now I know what your going to say, MS has a monopoly with windows at over 88% of the market. But Apple has a monopoly on OSX platforms.

Those comparisons don't make sense. Apple is only creating software that works on hardware they create. [yes, I'm aware of the itunes/QT/safari suite for windows] They have complete control over everything BECAUSE NO OTHER COMPANIES ARE INVOLVED.

eastmen

Banned
Jtwo said:
Those comparisons don't make sense. Apple is only creating software that works on hardware they create. [yes, I'm aware of the itunes/QT/safari suite for windows] They have complete control over everything BECAUSE NO OTHER COMPANIES ARE INVOLVED.

actually anyone can develop software for OSX , I use firefox on OSX at work

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

lot of software works on macs but apple is using thier monopoly of OSX hardware to stop others from gaining signifigant market share.

eastmen said:
Those aren't the only markets. Google has what 80% + of the market for internet searches ?
But that's not because of anti-competitive behavior. It's because people chose Google over Yahoo!, Alta-Vista, Ask, Live/Bing, and everyone else.

Remember, the reason MS got slapped over the head by the US and EU was because they were doing things to deliberately disable or depress the ability of competitors to compete. Hell, you couldn't even uninstall IE back then. It would destroy the system.

No, your browser can go to whatever search engine you wish. Just type it in.

eastmen said:
Then you have to factor in the Ipod line and how the monopoly apple has in MP3 players and music/movies software through that helped them create a sucessful handheld OS .
Whether it can be argued that at some point Apple was behaving anti-competitively with the DRM music issue (which to some degree was actually the fault of the RIAA, not Apple or MS), the fact today is that Apple sells DRM-free mp3's now and has for the last few years. Not sure what else they can do about that. Thoughts?

eastmen said:
One can argue that Both Search and Itunes were The monopolys that Google/Apple used to get into other markets.
I don't disagree. I just don't think they are acting in an anti-competitive fashion, which was the issue with Microsoft.

eastmen said:
Just as windows was the monopoly that let MS get IE into market donimation.
I think you've forgotten how MS fucked Netscape.

eastmen said:
I think the major problem now for ms is that their hands have been tied for a decade.
I don't. They've simply failed to innovate. They've been late to the punch over and over again, as we've all seen. Tablet PCs? Poorly executed. Zune? Too late to the punch. WinMo? Too slow to improve. IE? We were stuck on IE6 for what? 4 or 5 years? They let Firefox and Chrome lap them. Hotmail? Lack of innovation allowed GMail to replace it for many people. Windows Media Player? Horribly mismanaged, later to compete with Zune Software. Clusterfucked.

I don't think you can blame anyone but MS for those products not being good enough for people to *choose* them over the competition.

eastmen said:
Do you think if MS bought Adobe (really smart move I believe ) and put a dumbed down verison of Adobe photoshop and Premier in windows that everyone out there wouldn't complain ?
You mean built into the OS replacing Paint and Windows Movie Maker? I don't know. For what it's worth, those are applications that come on a separate disc for MacOS (iLife). If MS allowed them to be optional installs like they do with Live Essentials, nobody would have a place to complain.

eastmen said:
But this is exactly what Apple has done with Final cut. All IMACs I've set up at the school come with a form of final cut.
My Mac did not come with Final Cut Express, so I can't speak with that. Perhaps Apple installed them for your school? Either way, Apple can do what it wants to some degree because they represent 15% of the market.

eastmen said:
I don't recall seeing an option box when I've ever installed Windows 7. Just IE on my taskbar. Besides, one company has a monopoly. The other has 15% of the market. As such it's pretty silly to compare them. Safari doesn't impact the browser industry.

eastmen said:
Now I know what your going to say, MS has a monopoly with windows at over 88% of the market. But Apple has a monopoly on OSX platforms.
now you're just being silly.

eastmen said:
They are such a strong force on their own platform with thier own sofware that no one can compete. Who is going to buy sony vegas on a mac when they can get final cut ? Who is going to buy a podcast or music product when they have garage band ?
People choose Premiere/After Effects and/or Autodesk Smoke over Final Cut Express/Pro all the time. What are you talking about?

And you speak as though you know something about the music industry when you clearly do not. Most in the audio production industry use ProTools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cuebase. Garage band is cute, but it's not what pros use.

eastmen said:
Personaly I think ms should start trying to bundle in these things again and see what they can do without getting introuble. MS security essientials or whatever its called now should come preinstalled on every windows pc. With it a pc is extremely secure.
MSE won't come preinstalled because it would be anticompetitive for them to do so. MS can either pay manufacturers like McAfee, Norton and others do to get the product pre-installed on systems...or continue to compete fairly as a separate download.

It's better for them to be *chosen* by people than for them to be forced into using it. It would be like petitioning the US Government to force out foreign car manufacturers because US brands aren't selling well. As it turns out, American autos will sell just fine if the product is of good quality and competes on its own merits. Microsoft will find success if their products are BETTER than the competition. They don't need the unfair advantage of a default installation. Not when they control 90% of the market. They don't need to do anything of the sort. They simply need to continue to compete.

Copernicus said:
That article is an opinion piece, not an analytic one.
Either way, it was well said. Which was the point, however poorly my wording was.

Microsoft really needs to shape up their operating system. It's their primary source of income and their are rapidly losing faith from people that they know what they're doing in the future in that space.

Windows 7 is good, but it's still the same thing as Windows 95 with a prettier interface and fancied up in many ways - but all in all they haven't 'revolutionised' the GUI interface in more than 16 years.

They need to do something BIG in that area and they need to do it sooner rather than later. Apple is really taking massive leaps and strides every year and their operating system is absolutely evolving in massive ways every year. OSX is one incredible beast of an operating system and I love the features that Apple have with it but it doesn't play games and I like the 'feel' of my Windows PC better and thus I always end up coming back to Windows. I just want Microsoft to evolve it more.

I'm not looking forward to the 'ribbonising' of Windows 8. It seems like Microsoft really don't know what they're really doing, and I agree - they've been treading water for 10 years+ they've been changing things for the sake of change without really doing anything that makes things better or easier to use.

charsace

Microsoft is a great example of what happens when you have suits that don't know shit about what a company does running said company.

eastmen

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
But that's not because of anti-competitive behavior. It's because people chose Google over Yahoo!, Alta-Vista, Ask, Live/Bing, and everyone else.

Remember, the reason MS got slapped over the head by the US and EU was because they were doing things to deliberately disable or depress the ability of competitors to compete. Hell, you couldn't even uninstall IE back then. It would destroy the system.

No, your browser can go to whatever search engine you wish. Just type it in.

Or is it ?

Google is trying to force Bing out of preinstalled phone releases of andriod

Whether it can be argued that at some point Apple was behaving anti-competitively with the DRM music issue (which to some degree was actually the fault of the RIAA, not Apple or MS), the fact today is that Apple sells DRM-free mp3's now and has for the last few years. Not sure what else they can do about that. Thoughts?

At this point the only thing that can be done about it is if a court says that ipods /iphones/ipads can't just be locked to itunes. or they all have to use a diffrent platform.

I don't disagree. I just don't think they are acting in an anti-competitive fashion, which was the issue with Microsoft.

oh i believe they are , apple has had people locked into itunes for almost a decade at this point with lots of music and video already bought and invested its very costly for someone to move on to a new platform.

The very fact that they had this huge advantage from abusing another market is anti competetive .

I think you've forgotten how MS fucked Netscape.

I don't. They've simply failed to innovate. They've been late to the punch over and over again, as we've all seen. Tablet PCs? Poorly executed. Zune? Too late to the punch. WinMo? Too slow to improve. IE? We were stuck on IE6 for what? 4 or 5 years? They let Firefox and Chrome lap them. Hotmail? Lack of innovation allowed GMail to replace it for many people. Windows Media Player? Horribly mismanaged, later to compete with Zune Software. Clusterfucked.

How have tablet Pcs been poorly executed ? MS has been in the market meeting users needs for years. The fact is that 7-10 inch multi touch capactive glass wasn't cost effective until 2010 and even then it normaly cost 1/3rd the total price of these new breads of tablet.

Not to mention that while an ipad might make people who want a bigger phone happy , it does nothing from those who need a laptop or actualy need windows featuers in the field. I use a tablet every day at work and without the pen input or the x86-64 capatibility i'd be sunk.

The zune was really late and i wont disagree , at that point Apple was able to use its drm to keep anyone from switching anyway.

WinMo was and still is a great product , i actually had a tear when my touch pro 2 died. Its support for the exchange and other programs i used to use was epic and the pen allowed me to write emails faster than i can on a touch screen phone .

I still don't know why they didn't continue with win mo for busniess and moved windows phone 7 for the consumer.

IE is still a great platform . I used ie6 and then ie7 /8 and now 9 and they are all fast. I liked firefox but can't stand chrome.

Zune software , i can't blame you with , it should have replaced windows media player. I think you wil lsee that happen with windows 8

I don't think you can blame anyone but MS for those products not being good enough for people to *choose* them over the competition.

Even when MS makes good products people are anti ms. Its the cool thing right now to do , anti ms and be in love with apple and google. It will change at some point

MS can create the second coming today and apple can crap in a box and people will be more excited about apple.

Windows 7 , zune , xbox 360 , ie 9 now 10 all these are great products but either don't get the respect they deserve or are attacked cause they are made by ms .

You mean built into the OS replacing Paint and Windows Movie Maker? I don't know. For what it's worth, those are applications that come on a separate disc for MacOS (iLife). If MS allowed them to be optional installs like they do with Live Essentials, nobody would have a place to complain.

I dunno the imacs came preinstalled for us as part of apple care ( i love the fact that i don't have to work in the apple labs cause the video teacher is constantly calling apple care)

My Mac did not come with Final Cut Express, so I can't speak with that. Perhaps Apple installed them for your school? Either way, Apple can do what it wants to some degree because they represent 15% of the market.
apple is a 100% of the market for osx machines.

They control a 100% of supply chain also , from hardware to os .

I don't recall seeing an option box when I've ever installed Windows 7. Just IE on my taskbar. Besides, one company has a monopoly. The other has 15% of the market. As such it's pretty silly to compare them. Safari doesn't impact the browser industry.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-03-09/business/17213922_1_internet-explorer-windows-vista-browser

once again apple has a 100% of the osx market.

Its very simple , if you want to develop software to compete with an apple product your SOL

now you're just being silly.

Its a 100% correct.

Apple has a 100% market share of OSX products. Apple currently can put any program they want on the disc when people buy their mac.

The fact is , if you created a video chat program and apple wanted that action they can put thier own verison on there and drive you out of busniess.

This was the complaint against microsoft.

Right now apple can put any application they want on OSX and have it come with all the hardware they sell. MS can't do that and competing companys can't do that.

People choose Premiere/After Effects and/or Autodesk Smoke over Final Cut Express/Pro all the time. What are you talking about?

And you speak as though you know something about the music industry when you clearly do not. Most in the audio production industry use ProTools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cuebase. Garage band is cute, but it's not what pros use.

Big companys do , not the average mac user. That is what I'm talking about.

You really think that IT managers couldn't load out windows to all their clients with firefox installed ?

The first thing we do when we get a new model in is wipe the drives and install a single pc set it up with what we want and then ghost it . Deploy it through the network to the new machines and then deep freeze them.

If i was a company sure i'd go out and put whatever my desingers and workers wanted on the machine.

But do you think an average computer user will ?

ON the pc we have sony vegas , cyberlink power director , nero and a few other video editing programs aimed at consumers. They are all availble under $100

MSE won't come preinstalled because it would be anticompetitive for them to do so. MS can either pay manufacturers like McAfee, Norton and others do to get the product pre-installed on systems...or continue to compete fairly as a separate download.

So as you say , MS can't secure their software by adding a basic component to their software. Do you think it would be anticompetetive to apple to preinstall an antivirus program ?

Do you think ms can compete if they can't install a simple software addition while others can ?

That is the point

It's better for them to be *chosen* by people than for them to be forced into using it. It would be like petitioning the US Government to force out foreign car manufacturers because US brands aren't selling well. As it turns out, American autos will sell just fine if the product is of good quality and competes on its own merits. Microsoft will find success if their products are BETTER than the competition. They don't need the unfair advantage of a default installation. Not when they control 90% of the market. They don't need to do anything of the sort. They simply need to continue to compete.

If I buy an iphone i'm forced to use itunes and a number of other apple products. If i buy osx , it has safari and other programs preinstalled.

It makes sense for ms to be able to preinstall these things also.

These things actually impeed ms's chances of competeting. Apple had a huge marketing campain against MS for years about them having tons of viruses , moving an antivirus program into windows would have made this moot. But their hands are tied and so ar etheir ability to compete .

Did you read about how the skype purchase conincides with the end of the anti trust regulations placed on ms

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
eastmen said:
I still don't know why they didn't continue with win mo for busniess and moved windows phone 7 for the consumer.

Because Windows Mobile fucking sucked. That's why. Maybe it's better in "busniess"(sic) tablets, but in phones it was being sorely lapped by everything, even Blackberries.

You're probably the one person in the entire world that actually likes Windows Mobile. That's crazy.

IE is still a great platform.

No. It isn't. It fails standards left and right to this day. People still have to make "IE-only" code shortcuts to have the same rendering options in IE as the other browsers. It sucks.

I used ie6 and then ie7 /8 and now 9 and they are all fast.

They're all fast because they are part of the fucking Explorer file/window-system. Why the hell do you think "run" on XP/whatever gives you "iexplore" and "explorer" in the same "explore" keyword search?

buhdeh

TheSeks said:
They're all fast because they are part of the fucking Explorer file/window-system. Why the hell do you think "run" on XP/whatever gives you "iexplore" and "explorer" in the same "explore" keyword search?

That hasn't been the case for years now.

Dreams-Visions said:
also, IE9 passes more standards than any other browser, last I checked (ACiD test)

Correct, he's pretty clearly not a web developer. IE8 and 9 are perfectly fine. 9 is on par with firefox and chrome pretty much. I believe it's still behind in the benchmarks but it's close. Whatever standards it still doesn't pass are not a big problem.

Mr. B

Melchiah said:
What happened between March 2008 and March 2009?
Steve Job being hospitalized? I know it affected their stock value but it's hard to see it hurting them that much.

aaaaa0

The stock market is irrational.

ms-revenue.jpg

Lots of companies would kill for a line like that.

Phoenix

FINALLY! Not sure who is in line for succession that is really good though, however Microsoft has been coasting for quite some time now.

So what you guys are saying is MS making lots of money and the only people losing money are the investors. This isn't a problem?

Mael

aaaaa0 said:

ms-revenue.jpg

Lots of people would kill to have had Office/Windows combo that are pratically the reason this graph even exists.
I'm not sure Ballmer was the CEO when they were created :p

With all talk about innovation, I'm suprised no one mentioned Microsofts most awesome piece of software, OneNote. It's everything a student could want. And you can even draw in it, if you have a tablet, since like 2003.

Kong Fisso said:
With all talk about innovation, I'm suprised no one mentioned Microsofts most awesome piece of software, OneNote. It's everything a student could want. And you can even draw in it, if you have a tablet, since like 2003.
/me has TabletPC

/me swears by OneNote.

too bad MS could never make the TabletPC go mainstream. It really is a brilliant app.

Earl Cazone said:
i never understood what it is for.
think of it as a tabbed notebook. Only, with infinite tabs that can be organized as the owner sees fit. Text inputted by stylus comes out extremely crisp (yay vectors). Handwriting-to-text recognition is fantastic.

Those things are nice, but it's the features that set it apart. You can use your built-in microphone and webcam to attach audio/video to specific notes. For example, let's say you're sitting in a lecture, taking notes as you go. You can start an audio recording and all the notes you take as you record will be attached to the text you wrote during the recording time. Same with video.

There's a ton more of course, but those are some of the highlights. I'm sure there are some YouTube videos that show off the full set of features. Suffice it to say, for anyone in school, a Tablet PC with OneNote is an absolutely indispensable tool. But on an average laptop, it's awesomeness is a bit muted.

Wormdundee said:
Correct, he's pretty clearly not a web developer. IE8 and 9 are perfectly fine. 9 is on par with firefox and chrome pretty much. I believe it's still behind in the benchmarks but it's close. Whatever standards it still doesn't pass are not a big problem.

Who me? That's rich.

Current versions of IE aren't the problems that they used to be, but they are still behind Webkit/Gecko on standards support. You wouldn't know this from visiting the marketing copy for the browser, where they choose an arbitrary subset of CSS selectors and javascript features to be able to say they have the best standards compliance.

Not to mention anyone targeting IE users still needs to support IE 7 for quite a while (hell, some still have to support IE6).

RJT

aaaaa0 said:

ms-revenue.jpg

So from 91 to 99 Microsoft revenues grew by a factor of 10, and from 2000 to 2010 they grew by a factor of 3, having stalled for the last three years. All of this while losing strategic battles with Google and Apple on the Internet and Mobile market. The stock market is really irrational...

bionic77

Balmer should be fired for how badly he bungled the smartphone market (which MS owned the vast majority of not too long ago) and the tablet market (which at one time they again owned). And while the Xbox has been a success, I don't know if that is worth what they lost in phones and tablets.

tino

Banned
bionic77 said:
Balmer should be fired for how badly he bungled the smartphone market (which MS owned the vast majority of not too long ago) and the tablet market (which at one time they again owned). And while the Xbox has been a success, I don't know if that is worth what they lost in phones and tablets.

After billions they have put in WP7 development, it still sells less than Windows Mobile in most recently reports. I have to say I enjoy the slow motion train wreck of the MS mobile devision.

Here I will predict the next stage of the MS mobile failure:By the end of this year, Mango/7.1 will be released, it's competent update but the devices still sell like Zune (i.e. shit); Nokia is being purchase by Microsoft around the same time, however, all its mid-end Symbian phone sells will be gabbled up by mid-end android phones and iPhone mini.

I shell enjoy more bickering of the MS stock holders.

Retrocide

I found this quote pretty interesting...
Microsoft gets $5 for every HTC phone
running Android, according to Citi analyst
Walter Pritchard, who released a big report
on Microsoft this morning.
Microsoft is getting that money thanks to a
patent settlement with HTC over
intellectual property infringement.
Microsoft is suing other Android phone
makers, and it’s looking for $7.50 to $12.50
per device, says Pritchard.
asymco.com/2011/05/27/microsoft-has...-income-from-android-than-from-windows-phone/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom