• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BELLATOR MMA PPV |OT| Mo Rampage Mo Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
This event tonight showed that the talent gap between the UFC and Bellator is huge.

Bellator is the definition of mediocrity.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Mo won 1 and 3. Deal with it. This ain't Pride. I'm not saying that I ain't happy as shit that Rampage won. This is just became the perfect Bellator PPV. Bjorn is going to shit himself for days.

Mo won nothing. Deal with it. AAAND his chain game is suspect.

This event tonight showed that the talent gap between the UFC and Bellator is huge.

UFC is no goldmine these days, but it's basically TNA to WWE. Bellator might as well just film all their events from the Impact Zone to save money on travel.

I think it showed that Chandler sucks balls and will never see the UFC. That Brooks kid is raw but he definitely has potential. Imagine if he beats Alvarez? LOL

I had more fun watching Bellator tonight than UFC events I can remember this year.

I don't know if the talent gap is that wide, people said the same thing about Strikeforce and Strikeforce fighters do pretty well in the UFC.

dream

Tito vs. Whatshisname convinced me that, more than anything else, weight classes have taken all the fun out of this sport. We need some unregulated Super Hulk shit.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think it showed that Chandler sucks balls and will never see the UFC.

Chandler is getting trapped in that Frankie Edgar zone of having no ability (or will) to finish fights. He's got the toolset to be a world champion, but he just needs to pull the trigger.

Chandler is getting trapped in that Frankie Edgar zone of having no ability (or will) to finish fights. He's got the toolset to be a world champion, but he just needs to pull the trigger.

He did change fight camps after beating Eddie Alvarez for the belt. I think training at alliance might have messed him up.

Xion385

Bellator 120 post-fight press conference

Hopefully Mo and Bjorn are there for some yip yappin' and gum bumpin'.

popcorn_2.gif

industrian

He did change fight camps after beating Eddie Alvarez for the belt. I think training at alliance might have messed him up.

The fact he'll have to go through another tournament now will be the best way to gauge if he's regressed at all. He should be able to run through a tournament with ease. If he struggles or goes to another split decision finish, then something is wrong.

Alvarez/Brooks should be interesting though.

lmao and I thought MMA journalists behaved poorly at UFC pressers, they are practically giving Bellator standing ovations every time Bjorn opens his mouth. Have some self-respect, dickbags.

edit: Now you guys are applauding Bjorn calling Rampage/Mo a "spectacular fight"? Fuck this business.

Conan819

Banned
lmao and I thought MMA journalists behaved poorly at UFC pressers, they are practically giving Bellator standing ovations every time Bjorn opens his mouth. Have some self-respect, dickbags.

edit: Now you guys are applauding Bjorn calling Rampage/Mo a "spectacular fight"? Fuck this business.

It's sporadic applause I imagine it's mostly the Bellator crew in the room applauding. Hard for either of us to really know without being in the room though.

VoxPop

I thought it was a fun event minus the snoozefest at the end. But King Mo's promo delivery and calling Bjorn a dick rider made up for it.

Dysun

I had more fun watching Bellator tonight than UFC events I can remember this year.

I don't know if the talent gap is that wide, people said the same thing about Strikeforce and Strikeforce fighters do pretty well in the UFC.

Bellator wishes it had the quality of fighters Strikeforce had. Not even close

industrian

Bellator wishes it had the quality of fighters Strikeforce had. Not even close

Yup. Bellator's sole strength is it's Heavyweight division having a bunch of good guys (Volkov, Ivanov, Minakov), but that's more due to the worldwide lack of quality heavyweights than anything else. Alvarez is arguably a world-class lightweight, but Melendez, Pettis and Bendo would probably beat him. Askren was arguably their one true world-class fighter, but he's a boring blowhard that no-one would pay money to watch, and thus is quite possibly the only fighter in the world that got cut for being "too good."

VoxPop

Yup. Bellator's sole strength is it's Heavyweight division having a bunch of good guys (Volkov, Ivanov, Minakov), but that's more due to the worldwide lack of quality heavyweights than anything else. Alvarez is arguably a world-class lightweight, but Melendez, Pettis and Bendo would probably beat him. Askren was arguably their one true world-class fighter, but he's a boring blowhard that no-one would pay money to watch, and thus is quite possibly the only fighter in the world that got cut for being "too good."

Meh I'd say their HW division is a joke too and their top guys wouldn't cut it past gatekeeper status in the UFC. Their 170,185, 205,145,135 divisions are a joke as well.

I still think their 155 division is strong or at least top heavy. Alvarez, Chandler and now Will Brooks are all solid. Tiger is fun to watch too.

Lombard is doing decent at 170 though. 170 is pretty interesting over in WSOF sheerly off name value.

But yeah Strikeforce had an immense amount of untapped talent and a roster one could only dream of. Was actual competition to the UFC. Bellator is more or less the TNA of MMA interestingly enough.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I kept my promise and I watched the PPV, Lambda.

As an outsider coming in, this definitely felt a step down from UFC Fight Night 40 I watched earlier this week. However, people comparing this to TNA are wrong, this is obviously a good step ahead of TNA in terms of show and talent. Maybe TNA from years ago, but not current era TNA.

That said, I don't understand why this is on PPV and why anyone would pay for this. Fights are short as fuck and everything is stretched out way too much in between. More fights, less promo packages Bellator, god.

All in all, the only match I really liked was Brooks vs Chandler, I thought it should have been a draw at the very least, to me it seems Chandler won 3 rounds and not Brooks, but what do I know? Match was good. Mo vs. Rampage was disappointing, but the trash talking made it a bit more fun than it had any right to be. Again the judging in this was very weird, I'm convinced Mo won Rounds 1 and 3, so how Rampage won by unanimous decision is beyond me really. Maybe I just don't understand MMA judging (could very well be it), but I find it questionable to say the least (or is this a thing in MMA to force a rematch with storyline bullshit?).

Ortiz match was bad, but come on why was he fighting someone half his size? Is that the only way he had a chance?

I'm probably gonna watch some more UFC, but Bellator doesn't really seem worth the time, especially with the (imo) questionable judging.

Meh I'd say their HW division is a joke too and their top guys wouldn't cut it past gatekeeper status in the UFC. Their 170,185, 205,145,135 divisions are a joke as well.

I still think their 155 division is strong or at least top heavy. Alvarez, Chandler and now Will Brooks are all solid. Tiger is fun to watch too.

Lombard is doing decent at 170 though. 170 is pretty interesting over in WSOF sheerly off name value.

But yeah Strikeforce had an immense amount of untapped talent and a roster one could only dream of. Was actual competition to the UFC. Bellator is more or less the TNA of MMA interestingly enough.

No mention of the Baddest Man on the Planet?

VoxPop

So I kept my promise and I watched the PPV, Lambda.

As an outsider coming in, this definitely felt a step down from UFC Fight Night 40 I watched earlier this week. However, people comparing this to TNA are wrong, this is obviously a good step ahead of TNA in terms of show and talent. Maybe TNA from years ago, but not current era TNA.

That said, I don't understand why this is on PPV and why anyone would pay for this. Fights are short as fuck and everything is stretched out way too much in between. More fights, less promo packages Bellator, god.

All in all, the only match I really liked was Brooks vs Chandler, I thought it should have been a draw at the very least, to me it seems Chandler won 3 rounds and not Brooks, but what do I know? Match was good. Mo vs. Rampage was disappointing, but the trash talking made it a bit more fun than it had any right to be. Again the judging in this was very weird, I'm convinced Mo won Rounds 1 and 3, so how Rampage won by unanimous decision is beyond me really. Maybe I just don't understand MMA judging (could very well be it), but I find it questionable to say the least (or is this a thing in MMA to force a rematch with storyline bullshit?).

Ortiz match was bad, but come on why was he fighting someone half his size? Is that the only way he had a chance?

I'm probably gonna watch some more UFC, but Bellator doesn't really seem worth the time, especially with the (imo) questionable judging.

The original main event of Alvarez vs Chandler 3 was scrapped due to Alvarez bailing during the last week due to an injury. There is a lot of behind the scenes controversy with Alvarez as he was supposed to jump ship to UFC not too long ago. But Bellator had an option to "match" UFC's contract which they did theoretically on paper but certainly not the same value as Bellator can't reach the same audience that the UFC does. He won a controversial decision over Chandler the last time and this was basically the capper on their trilogy which would have made Alvarez a free agent after the fight. I also think Dana White said he wouldn't pick up Alvarez if he was coming off a loss so it kinda worked out that Chandler lost to Brooks. But yeah the event was full of has beens in MMA and the main event certainly didn't deliver. Bellator isn't quite PPV worthy yet.

What you saw in Rampage winning was basically a robbery which is pretty commonplace in MMA and boxing. Yeah Mo 'won' that fight but I guess they see a bigger payday with Rampage on top than with Mo fighting Newton (the champ) for a third time. Tito is a joke and you shouldn't mind him.

You should check out the next UFC PPV (173) as it should have some great fights despite it being weak in name value.

Ninja Scooter said:
No mention of the Baddest Man on the Planet?

My mistake. Strikeforce had Nick Diaz carrying the torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom