• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beloved UK magazine Super Play is BACK

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I lent about 20 issues of my Super Play collection to a friend who took a massive interest in the mag a few years back who later sold them all on eBay 'soz mate, I didn't think you wanted them back'

Man, I loved Super Play so much. It was pretty cool that I was able to subscribe to it back then even though I live in Spain.

Yesss, dat Wil Overton cover though <3 Buying this for sure.

Wil Overton covers were the best. Quite one of the most unique things about Super Play. I was a huge fan of him and Oli.

Oh, I love Retro Gamer's occasional classic magazine bonusses, I'll definitely get this. And Wil Overton art! Super Play was arguably the first magazine that introduced me to the games that would never come out in the UK... and the notion of grey imports.

"Grey imports" as "US SNES carts are grey", am I right? :D

Whenever I think of Joanna Dark, I always think of Will Overton's N64 magazine cover. Crazy that Rare then hired him to work on PD0, for better and worse.

EvB

Whenever I think of Joanna Dark, I always think of Will Overton's N64 magazine cover. Crazy that Rare then hired him to work on PD0, for better and worse.

That person art is fantastic, I’ve still got the poster in my filing cabinet somewhere

Not that crazy, I'm sure plenty of journo's from super play/n64 magazine went to the rare offices and vice versa back then. It's only a 2 hour drive from bath to twycross.

The GOAT gaming mag period!

This mag was what introduced me to JRPGs and the grey import scene, I loved their monthly import segments where they preview/reviewed games released in Japan/US which you wouldn't find covered in other mags at the time.

I was gutted when the run ended, their follow up N64 Magazine never did captured the same magic as Super Play.

Wiped89

Anyone in the UK who is fancying this, don't pay 5.50 for one issue in the shops....go here for a 5 issue sub for £5. You're welcome

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/summer-sale-2017-b/

also you get 10%off for a ten pound spend, so you can get 2 subs for £9, thats 5 issues of Edge, 5 Retrogamers for 9 quid.

Thanks to your post I just ordered five copies of Edge for £5. Haven't read it for years since I was a teenager but I have since worked with the team there at Future when I was freelance. Great team. Thanks for the recommendation!

angelic

Banned
No worries, as you say is a good deal and lets me relive my youth for a few months :)

Dont forget it goes up to £13 a quarter afterwards, which is still cheaper than the shops.
Thanks to your post I just ordered five copies of Edge for £5. Haven't read it for years since I was a teenager but I have since worked with the team there at Future when I was freelance. Great team. Thanks for the recommendation!

Happy to help man.

This just arrived. Just had a flick through and all seems to be in order and looks like it used to. They've re-reviewed all the games and have been unstinting in their objectivity with many games like F-Zero, DKC and SF2T having new scores in the 70% region. Core games like World, Metroid, Yoshi and Zelda all hold up though.

Sephimoth

UK here, I had an email last THURS saying my latest issue of Retro Gamer was on its way (as usual), but as of yet nearly a week later its not arrived. I assume that means it was dispatched

Should I contact them? Or is this quite normal? I don't usually pay attention but this SNES thing has got me excited

UK here, I had an email last THURS saying my latest issue of Retro Gamer was on its way (as usual), but as of yet nearly a week later its not arrived. I assume that means it was dispatched

Should I contact them? Or is this quite normal? I don't usually pay attention but this SNES thing has got me excited

It's not due till tomorrow mate.

Porcile

Reading the old NGC mags I used to have on archive.org was a real trip back. Damn. I read those magazines back to front every morning on the way to school.

redcrayon

This just arrived. Just had a flick through and all seems to be in order and looks like it used to. They've re-reviewed all the games and have been unstinting in their objectivity with many games like F-Zero, DKC and SF2T having new scores in the 70% region. Core games like World, Metroid, Yoshi and Zelda all hold up though.
Really looking forward to reading the fresh reviews of the games.

Robin64

Is this where someone would customarily post a "Now that's what I call edgy" pic...?

Crazy score for a fantastic game.

Worst of the trilogy, though. Going back to it now, it's not excellent like DKC2 is. Stages are repetitive, the camera is all over the place, it's just generally "decent".

Read it all last night. 50 pages and highly recommended. The reviews are all great and whilst I didn't agree with all of them they were well written and argued and packed with trivia, some of which I hadn't heard before (which was surprising to me). All in all, it had me frothing at the gash for the release of the classic. Buy if you can find it imo.

redcrayon

Tesco didn't have it this morning, so I need to pop to a WHSmiths at lunch and see if they do.
WHSmiths at Kings Cross had them out last night, so they should do.

Read it on the way to work this morning, really interesting seeing the new reviews alongside the old scores too. They've done a pretty good job of reevaluating the classics with a modern eye in my view. Some of them still stand up as timeless classics today, some of been overshadowed by 25+ years of iteration or are reliant on key features that no longer wow as they did to those moving on from 8-bit back then. Good to see a pantheon of classics reviewed without resorting to either 'its all nostalgia' or 'they are all unassailable'.

Robin64

My local Smiths were just putting their mags out for the day when I turned up this morning and plonked 5 Retro Gamers on the shelf just as I turned up. Yoink! Happy days. :)

Ordered it from their site, along with the Final Fantasy and LttP issues. Got a message saying FF was sold out but I still payed for it. Let's see if it'll be delivered. Maybe I got the last one?

27 euro for three magazines is pretty expensive, but yeah, I need them.

It was like a shining beacon in the magazine racks at the supermarket this morning...

spmzxvv.png

Tarps

This thread gave me actual goosebumps. I need to get a copy of this ASAP. Super Play was an amazing publication.

D.Lo

Now I need to wait for it to arrive in Australia... just like the old days.

I haven't been to a newsagent in like 15 years...

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Now I need to wait for it to arrive in Australia... just like the old days.

I haven't been to a newsagent in like 15 years...

3 months late? lol

Gong

Mine was delivered today from Future directly but there wasn't any copy of Super Play 48 included :( Gutted. I've emailed them to find out what's going on, but be aware anyone who bought direct as you'll end up like me. Poor show.

Mine was delivered today from Future directly but there wasn't any copy of Super Play 48 included :( Gutted. I've emailed them to find out what's going on, but be aware anyone who bought direct as you'll end up like me. Poor show.

That's odd, the copy on store shelves is in a bag containing both. Was your copy of Retro Gamer just loose?

Gong

That's odd, the copy on store shelves is in a bag containing both. Was your copy of Retro Gamer just loose?

Yep was just a loose copy, no bag or anything. There's no newsagents near me which is why I ordered online. As I said I'll update this when I hear back from them, but if they can't help I'll have to try and hunt one from elsewhere. Was hoping to avoid having to head into Edinburgh and rake around shops.

Robin64

Oh no. :(

Sadly it's not up for order any more, the page just lists issues 169 and 171, so I can't double check what it said. But I'm almost sure it listed Super Play as coming with it?

Gong

Oh no. :(

Sadly it's not up for order any more, the page just lists issues 169 and 171, so I can't double check what it said. But I'm almost sure it listed Super Play as coming with it?

Yep, sorry bud but it doesn't seem to come with it, hope you don't suffer the same fate tho. Just thought I'd do a PSA for those like me.

Top Bottom