• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Below is a timed exclusive

alright. I can deal with that. X1 still doesn't have that *one* exclusive that I have to have, like Gears 1 that solely made me get a 360.

Give it time. I'm sure they'll unveil something from a third party that will become as big as Gears.

I'm thinking it might be Sunset...

It's not really that. I think most people are wondering why MS is seemingly investing more in timed exclusives instead of using that money to found new studios and in-house IPs (yeah I know, they're doing this too, but not as much as Nintendo and Sony, which is the point). They did that this gen, too.

Good point. If I had to guess its because its cheaper with less risk than starting something new in this economy.

Did Sony found many new studios in the past 5 years or have they been mostly if not all acquiring ownership of existing studios?

EvB

Just like Flow, Flower & Journey right?

What's indie about games FUNDED AND PUBLISHED by Sony?
That's before you even start questioning Santa Monica's involvement.

Sony own the Journey and Flower IP.
That's why it hasn't come to Steam and 360, but anybody could have told you that the day they were announced.

Give it time. I'm sure they'll unveil something from a third party that will become as big as Gears.

I'm thinking it might be Sunset...

for me its not about something that becomes big/popular. Just need something that attracts me personally. Don't think Sunset will do it either. Perhaps the Black Tusk game o_o

What's indie about games FUNDED AND PUBLISHED by Sony?
That's before you even start questioning Santa Monica's involvement.

Sony own the Journey and Flower IP.
That's why it hasn't come to Steam and 360, but anybody could have told you that the day they were announced.

did you not read what he was responding to? also I would most definitely consider those game indie.

EvB

Well yeah, it'd be stupid for an indie game to remain exclusive to one platform unless the first party paid for development.

Indeed and I think that indie developers have come to realise that as soon as you become the slave to a publisher all that happens is you start to lose control over the game you are working on.

A timed exclusive is a pretty good deal for an indie, you get the backup and promotion of the platform holder as well as unique buzz that exclusive titles receive from the gaming community.

Once the first month's sales have tailed off you are free to sell your game to everyone else, it's exactly what has happened with retail titles too, for the most part it just doesn't make sense to go single format exclusive.

for me its not about something that becomes big/popular. Just need something that attracts me personally. Don't think Sunset will do it either. Perhaps the Black Tusk game o_o

The Black Tusk game looked a mess. Interesting concept but one of the worse debuts for a new IP I've ever seen.

I think Sunset might blow people away. It's a great concept and the info about the game sounds really very promising.

JaggedSac

The Black Tusk game looked a mess. Interesting concept but one of the worse debuts for a new IP I've ever seen.

I think Sunset might blow people away. It's a great concept and the info about the game sounds really very promising.

You make it sound like there were details released about that Black Tusk game? How does it look a mess and what is the concept behind the game?

EvB

did you not read what he was responding to? also I would most definitely consider those game indie.

yeah I did, he was saying that no indie games ever stay exclusive and listed Journey, Flower and Flow as examples without mentioning they Sony IPs

An indie developer or indie game should surely be independent by the very definition of the name. If they were being funded to make 3 contracted titles for Sony, then I wouldn't consider that to be independent.

In the same way I wouldn't Consider Destiny to be an Indie game, nor Bungie to be an indie developer.

EvB

Yeah, it did look rather cruddy for a debut, like late 90's TV GC

Perhaps they were clutching at straws and when it next gets shown it will look so incredible it will literally blow our tits off

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Gooooood, goooooooooood.

Hopefully Super Time Force is still releasing on X360 too and doesn't get Crimson Dragon'd.

yeah I did, he was saying that no indie games ever stay exclusive and listed Journey, Flower and Flow as examples without mentioning they Sony IPs

An indie developer or indie game should surely be independent by the very definition of the name. If they were being funded to make 3 contracted titles for Sony, then I wouldn't consider that to be independent.

you wouldn't but others would. its has a broader definition now for gamers usually associated with lower budget, dev team size, and sale price.

Melchiah

drsing is xboxed froever. tahs our monesy.

F**king Capcom. First REmake and Zero were GC'd forever, then DR1+3 were XB'd forever. When something will be PS'd forever? AFAIK, all the past Capcom "exclusives" on all three PS platforms have found their way to other systems, PC included.

Not that I'd personally be interested in DR, after all I didn't bought the 2nd which was available on PS3. Their tactics just annoy me on pure principle.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To be honest I opened this thread and was looking for a picture of a game or something and was super confused at first.... Then I was like... oh yeah there is a game called below

Mifune

Mehmber

Sunset Overdrive has the potential to be really special. Quantum Break looks great, too. Gonna be tough to say no if both of those hit around the same time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Cboat said the black tusk game is looking amazing.

You make it sound like there were details released about that Black Tusk game? How does it look a mess and what is the concept behind the game?

Well it's clear it's some sort of stealth title with augments or something that resemble augments. Also looks like it might have a hint of espionage based gameplay, but it's hard to tell how far or deep that goes without seeing some gameplay.

Yeah, it did look rather cruddy for a debut, like late 90's TV GC

Perhaps they were clutching at straws and when it next gets shown it will look so incredible it will literally blow our tits off

It's hard to disagree with this. papercuts mentions that CBOAT said it's looking amazing and maybe it is, but until they show me some more footage, I'm not putting much hype/anticipation behind it.

Sunset Overdrive has the potential to be really special. Quantum Break looks great, too. Gonna be tough to say no if both of those hit around the same time.

Yep, Sunset I think will catch a lot of people off guard. Everything about it sounds amazing, can't wait to see some gameplay.

Cboat said the black tusk game is looking amazing.

If that's the case,they absolutely didn't put their best foot forward with that debut. I really have to wonder why they debuted it with that trailer? Needed something to pad out the 90 minutes or perhaps they thought it looked good enough to show off? Whatever the reason, it was a big mistake.

dr_rus

EA doesn't own Titanfall, so this is kind of like past predictions that Left 4 Dead would get a PS3 port. When EA doesn't own the IP, what they can do to force ports will depend on the contract with the developer that DOES own the IP.
EA is publishing it and I'm sure as hell that they have a multiple Titanfall titles contract with Respawn - it's just how things are done. The 1 year of Xbox exclusivity is a result of MS paying EA and nothing more. If Titanfall is a success then the payment that will cover it missing PS platforms should be so huge that MS simply won't be able to do it.

Did that happen with Gears? An IP MS doesn't own sold 6m+ yet the sequels were still Xbox exclusive.
GeoW was published by MS. That is not the case with Titanfall.

Top Bottom