• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

So I might sound a bit dumb here, but is the implication of that chapter that subconsciously Casca understands that Guts is trying to help her and that he's burdened with the task of protecting her, or would you say it was something else? Curious as to how you guys interpreted it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I might sound a bit dumb here, but is the implication of that chapter that subconsciously Casca understands that Guts is trying to help her and that he's burdened with the task of protecting her, or would you say it was something else? Curious as to how you guys interpreted it.

It could go either way at this point as we still have to see more of her mental state in the upcoming episodes.

Anyone else feel Pucks character development has completely stalled?

I understand he might feel he no longer needs to feel as empathetic because Guts now has other companions but still.. It would be interesting/tragic to have Puck suffer more so for knowing Guts' pain. Elves feel pain or happiness as others around them feel correct? that whole ability seems to have been retconned

Grudy

Anyone else feel Pucks character development has completely stalled?

I understand he might feel he no longer needs to feel as empathetic because Guts now has other companions but still.. It would be interesting/tragic to have Puck suffer more so for knowing Guts' pain. Elves feel pain or happiness as others around them feel correct? that whole ability seems to have been retconned

I'm almost sure the last meaningful thing Puck said was in chapter 181, when telling Guts to go to his home island.

I'm almost sure the last meaningful thing Puck said was in chapter 181, when telling Guts to go to his home island.

wow.. I read the entire manga in a weeks time back in Feb..

Chapter 181 was in 2001.. I cant imagine everyones pain in waiting to finally reach elf island..

Onemic

Finally reading Berserk again. Took a pretty long break since Amazon took over 4 months to finally send me copies of volume 5-6. Just finished volume 9 and am loving it. The feels from Guts/Casca having that emotional breakdown with Casca/Guts in volume 9/7 T_T

HStallion

Finally reading Berserk again. Took a pretty long break since Amazon took over 4 months to finally send me copies of volume 5-6. Just finished volume 9 and am loving it. The feels from Guts/Casca having that emotional breakdown with Casca/Guts T_T

Get ready to get buck wyald

HStallion

Oh, I've seen the 90's anime so I know it's all gonna be going to shit in a big way :p

Lol I won't spoil it but what I'm talking about has only ever appeared in the manga, none of the anime adaptations have covered this

Oh, I've seen the 90's anime so I know it's all gonna be going to shit in a big way :p

90's anime Berserk is easily in my top 3 GOAT animes
Um...you think you've seen what really happens, but in fact you really haven't.
Lol I won't spoil it but what I'm talking about has only ever appeared in the manga, none of the anime adaptations have covered this
Then he could later watch the third OVA for confirmation that a demonic hellspawn goddess doesn't shave her bush.

New002

Watching the movies for the first time. Finished the first two so far. Really digging them. A big part of that is probably the nostalgia thanks to the returning anime dub actors. Missing that OG Corkus :(

Pretty deep in the manga now, and I'm on chapter 298. Goddamn this series has some of the best character development in any medium :eek:
tumblr_nik0izqCsC1svrrjho1_540.jpg

tumblr_nik0izqCsC1svrrjho2_500.jpg

HStallion

Pretty deep in the manga now, and I'm on chapter 298. Goddamn this series has some of the best character development in any medium :eek:

I know a lot of people love Berserk for a lot of reasons but I think the big one for me and why I constantly followed is despite all the fucked up shit that happened to him and that he himself did I fucking like Guts. He's a great character with a ton of depth and a wonderful cast of characters around him but I follow Berserk because I follow Guts. I know some people loved him as edge lord supreme but I like the fact the dude seems to have mellowed and had friends he cares about now. I want Guts to win, I want Guts to succeed and in the end I hope the guy just ends up with a somewhat happy ending even if its sodomizing Griffith with the Dragon Slayer before dying.

I know a lot of people love Berserk for a lot of reasons but I think the big one for me and why I constantly followed is despite all the fucked up shit that happened to him and that he himself did I fucking like Guts. He's a great character with a ton of depth and a wonderful cast of characters around him but I follow Berserk because I follow Guts. I know some people loved him as edge lord supreme but I like the fact the dude seems to have mellowed and had friends he cares about now. I want Guts to win, I want Guts to succeed and in the end I hope the guy just ends up with a somewhat happy ending even if its sodomizing Griffith with the Dragon Slayer before dying.
Big bro Guts is best Guts.

Guts has some really great development. That one part where
guts says something edgy, person gets mad, he acts as if its no big deal, walks away nearly crying. Cant remember what arc it was

also berserker armor seems like a bitch to draw, wonder if itll ever get a new super form thats white so its easier to draw lol

Guts has some really great development. That one part where
guts says something edgy, person gets mad, he acts as if its no big deal, walks away nearly crying. Cant remember what arc it was

also berserker armor seems like a bitch to draw, wonder if itll ever get a new super form thats white so its easier to draw lol

There's no reason to spoil-tag that, but I believe that's the end of black swordsman after the count is killed and Guts is talking to Theresia.

Good guy Guts is the best pal one can hope to find. It's a beautiful journey, from his birth to who he is now. And we followed the whole thing.

Tizoc

OK I got the OT for Season 2 written up
I just need a banner... a banner that has either these faces on it
tumblr_inline_o7dyj3FlJu1ql4omn_500.gif

People_are_being_mean_by_making_mashups_of_sad_Ben_Affleck_s_reaction_to_Batman_v_Superman_reviews.jpg

Season 2 airs within 3 days and should be on Crunchyroll.

Tizoc

I WAS thinking of somehow splicing one of the faces onto Griffith's spread pointing towards Falconia but I felt that image was too Spoilery :p

This should be the banner:
qGwrdWK.gif

Okay how about we slap Rape Horse's face on it, have Berserk Anime Season 2 Thread photoshopped and we got our banner?
Anyone up to the task?

Veelk

Banned
Edit: let me change it up a bit more

Gvt0dGt.png

i tried to give him a white patch, but I couldn't make it look good, so meh

Still, I think it looks good. A little something for the OT.

Gvt0dGt.png

Holy shit. Someone should tweet this to Ben, would be fucking hilarious if he got the joke.

Hasn't Griffith done more good for the world than Guts though?

Well, pre-Eclipse, all of Griffith's major achievements on-panel/screen were basically at least partly Guts' achievements as well. After that, the most Griffith did in terms of good was create a "utopia" that's likely going to turn into a deathtrap at some point, and he created it by turning the rest of the world into an even worse hellhole than it already was. The Tower of Conviction incident was also basically his fault as well.

Guts, on the other hand, has spent over two years killing a shitton of demons, up to and including the Berserk universe's equivalent of Cthulhu. He's basically been making the world less shitty with each kill.

Well, pre-Eclipse, all of Griffith's major achievements on-panel/screen were basically at least partly Guts' achievements as well. After that, the most Griffith did in terms of good was create a "utopia" that's likely going to turn into a deathtrap at some point, and he created it by turning the rest of the world into an even worse hellhole than it already was. The Tower of Conviction incident was also basically his fault as well.

Guts, on the other hand, has spent over two years killing a shitton of demons, up to and including the Berserk universe's equivalent of Cthulhu. He's basically been making the world less shitty with each kill.
My only real problem with that is Guts' method seems more micro. Whether Guts kills demons or not there's still a ton of demons waiting. It never noticeably seems to be culling the demon population. Yeah he killed a sea god, but there's probably five more like it.

Veelk

Banned
I feel like the "Has Guts made the world a better place" discussion is kinda pointless.

Guts isn't out to make the world a better place. He's neither actively seeking to improve the lives of strangers while also not trying to make them worse. He's just trying to make his way through. And it's not a matter of him lacking empathy or anything like that, because he's long since reconnected to his human side and he never fully lost is ability to be a basically decent human being. If he sees someone suffering directly in front of him, yeah, he'll probably put an end to that. But he's not a super hero. For several reasons:

1. He can't do it. He's better now that he has a gang of friends that can watch his back, but that's for stuff like Farnise helping him gain access to restricted places with her connections and can take care of Casca in ways he can't and Serpico taking watch so he can get some sleep and Schierke keeps his sanity in check. He needs all these people just to help him remain semi-functional. If he can barely keep his own shit together, why would he even consider trying to take on the vastly bigger project of fixing the world?

2. It's basically not in his character. He's always been disinterested in the long term, larger plans that Griffith plotted when he was trying to rise to power in Midland's court. He has always been a fighter and never aspired to be much else beyond that. He was never even interested in being the Hawks leader, with him being kind of uncomfortable when the idea was presented when they realized Griffith was crippled. He could have lead the hawks, maybe, but he didn't want to. He's not political, he's not philosophical, he's barely social. Larger problems like the state of the world have always been beyond his need or interest. He's only ever fixed anything by killing it and while he certainly wants things to stop trying to kill him, I don't think he'd know what to do with himself if that ever actually happened and he didn't need to fight anyone anymore. Finding whatever he needs to fight next is basically all he really knows how to do.

3. Also character related, to 'save' the world, you generally have to hold some kind of affection for it, or atleast people connected to it. Superman saves people because the Kents taught him to always be considerate of others, Batman in TDK trilogy saves Gotham because his parents had a dream of saving Gotham. Guts' was born into a mercenary band who travels from place to place, joins another mercenary band that traveled from place to place, left it to travel from place to place, and now continues to travel from place to place. As far as I can tell, Guts never had a stable home of any kind.

In his travels, Gut's doesn't really make friends. Like, what, there's the deformed guy in the first few chapters. That little girl who he kinda protected (I wouldn't call what she is a friend even, just a kid and he didn't really want to see her hurt). Beyond that, I genuinely cannot think of anyone else he's created a positive or meaningful relationship except 1. the Hawks and 2. His current traveling party. And all these people are outcasts or without their own home as well. The hawks were specifically chosen for this (griffith wanted or atleast attracted people without other options and had to try and achieve their dreams through him), while his current traveling party consists of a former Iron See Knight and Noble whose effectively abandoned her position (and a brother whose abandoned it with her), an orphan who is without a home as well, and Schrieke whose lost her home in the attack we saw.

Guts is detached from the world and only makes connections with people who are similarly detached. Again, it's not to say that he or his team lack empathy or decency, but they, like Guts, are all just trying to make their way and not much else. It's outside of their scope. And unless I'm forgetting someone, the only people who actually sought to make an improvement on the world as a whole were villains (Mozgus, arguably the Godhand as a whole), whose true motivations are selfish. I think he literally doesn't even know a single person who'd go "We have to save the whole WORLD!" Why would he start then?

The only reason we're talking about this at all is because Griffith is using this as a selling point for why he's super awesome and everyone should just live under his rule. Except we know who Griffith...or more accurately, Femto....really is. Whatever his intentions are, they're unlikely to be something that actually betters humanity. So, trying to pigeonhole Guts with a "Well, how have YOU fixed the world" is just wierd when it's not something he's even trying to do and the person your comparing him to is probably going to commit genocide on his own city.

Tizoc

Gvt0dGt.png

This is amazing
Ill have the the text added to it later today and put up the ot before the 7th

I feel like the "Has Guts made the world a better place" discussion is kinda pointless.

Guts isn't out to make the world a better place. He's neither actively seeking to improve the lives of strangers while also not trying to make them worse. He's just trying to make his way through. And it's not a matter of him lacking empathy or anything like that, because he's long since reconnected to his human side and he never fully lost is ability to be a basically decent human being. If he sees someone suffering directly in front of him, yeah, he'll probably put an end to that. But he's not a super hero. For several reasons:

1. He can't do it. He's better now that he has a gang of friends that can watch his back, but that's for stuff like Farnise helping him gain access to restricted places with her connections and can take care of Casca in ways he can't and Serpico taking watch so he can get some sleep and Schierke keeps his sanity in check. He needs all these people just to help him remain semi-functional. If he can barely keep his own shit together, why would he even consider trying to take on the vastly bigger project of fixing the world?

2. It's basically not in his character. He's always been disinterested in the long term, larger plans that Griffith plotted when he was trying to rise to power in Midland's court. He has always been a fighter and never aspired to be much else beyond that. He was never even interested in being the Hawks leader, with him being kind of uncomfortable when the idea was presented when they realized Griffith was crippled. He could have lead the hawks, maybe, but he didn't want to. He's not political, he's not philosophical, he's barely social. Larger problems like the state of the world have always been beyond his need or interest. He's only ever fixed anything by killing it and while he certainly wants things to stop trying to kill him, I don't think he'd know what to do with himself if that ever actually happened and he didn't need to fight anyone anymore. Finding whatever he needs to fight next is basically all he really knows how to do.

3. Also character related, to 'save' the world, you generally have to hold some kind of affection for it, or atleast people connected to it. Superman saves people because the Kents taught him to always be considerate of others, Batman in TDK trilogy saves Gotham because his parents had a dream of saving Gotham. Guts' was born into a mercenary band who travels from place to place, joins another mercenary band that traveled from place to place, left it to travel from place to place, and now continues to travel from place to place. As far as I can tell, Guts never had a stable home of any kind.

In his travels, Gut's doesn't really make friends. Like, what, there's the deformed guy in the first few chapters. That little girl who he kinda protected (I wouldn't call what she is a friend even, just a kid and he didn't really want to see her hurt). Beyond that, I genuinely cannot think of anyone else he's created a positive or meaningful relationship except 1. the Hawks and 2. His current traveling party. And all these people are outcasts or without their own home as well. The hawks were specifically chosen for this (griffith wanted or atleast attracted people without other options and had to try and achieve their dreams through him), while his current traveling party consists of a former Iron See Knight and Noble whose effectively abandoned her position (and a brother whose abandoned it with her), an orphan who is without a home as well, and Schrieke whose lost her home in the attack we saw.

Guts is detached from the world and only makes connections with people who are similarly detached. Again, it's not to say that he or his team lack empathy or decency, but they, like Guts, are all just trying to make their way and not much else. It's outside of their scope. And unless I'm forgetting someone, the only people who actually sought to make an improvement on the world as a whole were villains (Mozgus, arguably the Godhand as a whole), whose true motivations are selfish. I think he literally doesn't even know a single person who'd go "We have to save the whole WORLD!" Why would he start then?

The only reason we're talking about this at all is because Griffith is using this as a selling point for why he's super awesome and everyone should just live under his rule. Except we know who Griffith...or more accurately, Femto....really is. Whatever his intentions are, they're unlikely to be something that actually betters humanity. So, trying to pigeonhole Guts with a "Well, how have YOU fixed the world" is just wierd when it's not something he's even trying to do and the person your comparing him to is probably going to commit genocide on his own city.
The funny thing about the Berserk world is that there really doesn't seem to be much of a greater good. Just because Guts saves you unintentionally from a tentacle demon today doesn't mean you won't be killed by a demon with penises for knees tomorrow. Seems like regardless of what happens something is going to kill you, violently.

Veelk

Banned
The funny thing about the Berserk world is that there really doesn't seem to be much of a greater good. Just because Guts saves you unintentionally from a tentacle demon today doesn't mean you won't be killed by a demon with penises for knees tomorrow. Seems like regardless of what happens something is going to kill you, violently.

One of the unique things about Berserk is that the cosmology of the universe is fundamentally evil. The idea of evil didn't create the world, but it's the closest thing we have to god, and the Godhand are essentially it's angels, and their literal job is to make the world a shittier place to live. And the Behelit are basically designed to convince people to give up any goodness and empathy they may have.

It's not just that the world is a dangerous and shitty place to live in, it's the fact that the cosmic entities in power are doing everything they can to keep it that way. To actually 'save' this world, it's not just about overthrowing an evil social or governmental organization like in many stories. To have any hope of fixing this world in the long term, you'd literally have to become some kind of Godlike being and move the world in that direction. Except the only way to that kind of power is to commit some kind of unspeakably evil act that also fundamentally changes you, like Griffith did.

That said, recent things have suggested the presence of neutral cosmic powers. The nature spirits that Schrieke utilizes for her magic don't seem malicious, and the Elf Queen herself seems outright benevolent. It's hard to know how much pull these spiritual creatures have in the world, however.

One of the unique things about Berserk is that the cosmology of the universe is fundamentally evil. The idea of evil didn't create the world, but it's the closest thing we have to god, and the Godhand are essentially it's angels, and their literal job is to make the world a shittier place to live. And the Behelit are basically designed to convince people to give up any goodness and empathy they may have.

It's not just that the world is a dangerous and shitty place to live in, it's the fact that the cosmic entities in power are doing everything they can to keep it that way. To actually 'save' this world, it's not just about overthrowing an evil social or governmental organization like in many stories. To have any hope of fixing this world in the long term, you'd literally have to become some kind of Godlike being and move the world in that direction. Except the only way to that kind of power is to commit some kind of unspeakably evil act that also fundamentally changes you, like Griffith did.

That said, recent things have suggested the presence of neutral cosmic powers. The nature spirits that Schrieke utilizes for her magic don't seem malicious, and the Elf Queen herself seems outright benevolent. It's hard to know how much pull these spiritual creatures have in the world, however.
Isn't Griffith trying to limit the power of the benevolent magic while also trying to move the physical world into a state that also greatly increases the power of magic? It seems like that's a world that constantly in a state of fucked with the cast taking over roles of people in the past. Schierke is becoming her teacher, Guts is becoming Skull Knight and Farnese is becoming former Schierke if that even makes any sense.

Top Bottom