• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

MMs5vRr.png

Welcome to Falconia Express - we're going on a city tour!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Onomatopoeia? I guess?

Maybe.

This is what I'm talking about:

(I hope it's okay to post these images - if not I'll remove them asap)

AvHRAgv.png

XPwLR7T.png

eM7RKye.png

And then there's the big stuff that's spread across both pages that I assume is the Japanese equivalent to RrruuUuuUMMMmmbBBbblllLLEE or AaaaAAhhhHH!! Stuff like that. It's weird that they didn't translate those parts.

Erigu

Maybe.
This is what I'm talking about: [...]
Yup, onomatopoeia. Some publishers redraw them, others don't (it could be argued that they're part of the art, so it's not that simple an issue).
I thought the US edition of Berserk kept them but also added translations/"subtitles" (prefixed with "SFX:"? not sure). Maybe I'm mistaken.

(I hope it's okay to post these images - if not I'll remove them asap)
As long as you don't post watermarks pointing to pirate sites or long strings of complete pages, you should be fine, I believe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yup, onomatopoeia. Some publishers redraw them, others don't (it could be argued that they're part of the art, so it's not that simple an issue).

Makes sense I guess, but I wish I knew what sounds effects they're trying to convey (sometimes it's clear and sometimes it's not).

I thought the US edition of Berserk kept them but also added translations/"subtitles" (prefixed with "SFX:"? not sure). Maybe I'm mistaken.

There's not anything like that in the first chapter of the first volume. Maybe they added that in later?

As long as you don't post watermarks pointing to pirate sites or long strings of complete pages, you should be fine, I believe.

Good to know, thanks!

Veelk

Banned
Personally, I never got what the point of onomatopoeia's in comics were. Sometimes they make sense when there is an offscreen event like a doorslam, but other than that, I can usually imagine or figure out what noise is being made from the visuals themselves.

Makes sense I guess, but I wish I knew what sounds effects they're trying to convey (sometimes it's clear and sometimes it's not).

There's not anything like that in the first chapter of the first volume. Maybe they added that in later?

Good to know, thanks!

I think it's something Dark Horse started sometime after they'd already been running Berserk. I don't have any of my books around to check though. I honestly just totally ignore the SFX.

edit: Also, I'm totally envious of you being able to read this for the first time. Make sure you get through the first 4 or so volumes before casting any judgement. Things change up quite a bit by volume 3 alone.

Went to a local Gamecraze looking for a certain anime dvd, but instead found the first two Berserk DVDs and got both for $5. I've had the first volume on VHS for years, but I don't have a VCR anymore.

They also had a bootleg complete collection for $60 which is just silly.

Anyway, I've been wanting to check out this series for some time now. I watched the first five episodes long ago, but I didn't care for them at the time. I think some of the violence bothered me or something.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think it's something Dark Horse started sometime after they'd already been running Berserk. I don't have any of my books around to check though. I honestly just totally ignore the SFX.

I figured as much.

edit: Also, I'm totally envious of you being able to read this for the first time. Make sure you get through the first 4 or so volumes before casting any judgement. Things change up quite a bit by volume 3 alone.

:D I won't. I already sort of know what to expect from this series because I've seen the anime, so I've been in the long haul since the beginning!

Astarte

Don't worry, you'll come around soon enough.

They all do...

In your face, I'm wearing an anti-Femto chastity belt!

How long until it goes on hiatus again?

When that new im@s comes out, seriously. Then we'll lose Miura completely once Project Morpheus comes out with a 765Pro office tour.

Still lol how the character designer of Idolmaster became the director for the Berserk movies. Gee wonder who hand pick him to do the movies.

Dat CG, oog.

Veelk

Banned
Is there any place I can read up on Miura talking about his work? Like, does he have a blog, or some site that he is regularly interviewed by? I'd settle for a twitter account.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I give it 3 chapter, spread over this entire year.
Soo...

Chapter with Rickert riding closer to the city.

Chapter with Rickert getting out of the cart, ending with him about to step into the city.

Chapter about the boatride, with no apparent progress and just some discussion of what happened.

Yonafunu

Soo...

Chapter with Rickert riding closer to the city.

Chapter with Rickert getting out of the cart, ending with him about to step into the city.

Chapter about the boatride, with no apparent progress and just some discussion of what happened.

Two of those chapters will be recaps.

Kensuke

Just reread the last few chapters. I'm ready. I'm just hoping Miura spent some of that time drawing incredible pictures of Falconia and Elfhelm.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Not sure if i can post links regarding manga scans, but the RAW of the chapter is out.

Next chapter is on May 23rd, unless i'm reading it wrong.

Seems like Hulu has the first 2 of the berserk movies up for a week for free. Is it worth watching if all i have as far as berserk knowledge goes is the tv series?

Seems like Hulu has the first 2 of the berserk movies up for a week for free. Is it worth watching if all i have as far as berserk knowledge goes is the tv series?

If you haven't read the manga, yet, you may as well. It just introduces a few more tidbits of detail compared to the TV series, while compressing things quite a bit.

How long until it goes on hiatus again?

Honestly, who gives a shit at this point?

Miura's going to die long before this story ends, and after the past 15 volumes or so, do you even want to see the end he's planning?

Just search "berserk -
the idea of evil
" and come to your own conclusions.

Nibel

Man, Falconia is like the perfect city - everything is so bright, but we all know there must be some fucked up shit going on behind the curtains. Rickert seems to be the only one who sees Griffith in a different light

So glad that Berserk is back. And next one will come out May 23rd, yuuss!

Honestly, who gives a shit at this point?

Miura's going to die long before this story ends, and after the past 15 volumes or so, do you even want to see the end he's planning?

Show the man some respect

Kensuke

Man, I hyped it up too much in my head. I forgot how slow paced chapters can be. I'll next the next couple of chapters pile up.

Thank god it's back anyway.

LogicStep

That was gorgeous. So if there are no problems, we can expect chapters to come out at least monthly? Is that the normal release schedule?

Nibel

Not sure why I feel this way, but I kind of get the feeling Miura's artstyle has gotten even better

This chapter is a demonstration of power, from both Miuara and GRRIFFUUUUISSSSSSS

zoukka

I think this series went to shit when Guts met with the little witch and the series became Guts and his happy friends instead of Guts and the horrible world.

I still buy every issue, but the series is shit. The art has become obsessive instead of stylish and clear. Every page is a chore to go through. The writing is fucking horrible (which wasn't a big problem before because the focus was in the world, monsters and grimdark).

Sigh.

Dahbomb

Gutts' friends may be happy but Gutts himself is definitely not. Each major encounter seems to be taking a heavy toll on his body and he's on a biological timer. It's not all rainbows and sunshine for him. And you never know if they are going to get wiped out.

While I agree that the earlier volumes were better, I do appreciate the different side of Berserk in the more high fantasy stuff. Although knowing Miura even the pretty unicorns probably hide a dark secret.

Famassu

I think this series went to shit when Guts met with the little witch and the series became Guts and his happy friends instead of Guts and the horrible world.
I don't know what manga you are reading, but the world is still disgustingly horrible. The kids have very much a similar role as his war buddies in earlier parts. They are part comical relief, part giving Guts something to keep a touch of his humanity & having something to fight for. There's still plenty of horrible stuff happening.

And this is simply not true:
The art has become obsessive instead of stylish and clear.
He still draws plenty of clear panels while also having some stuff (city scenery, some batshit insane monster designs etc.) that has insane attention to detail, just like he's always done (though, he has improved, the very early chapters are more clumsily drawn than his drawings nowadays).

Yonafunu

I still buy every issue, but the series is shit. The art has become obsessive instead of stylish and clear. Every page is a chore to go through. The writing is fucking horrible (which wasn't a big problem before because the focus was in the world, monsters and grimdark).

Sigh.

Talk about hyperbole. Good lord.

Top Bottom