• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

That seems inevitable, but I have no problem with that

Is the manga as gory as the anime? Some of that stuff was really brutal so far :lol

Ummm the anime is a Disney cartoon compared to the manga.

Also, share impressions when you finish the anime.

tokkun

I actually kind of feel like the anime is darker overall than the corresponding part of the manga. Yes, the sex and violence are toned down in the anime, but on the other hand, they also completely removed the comic relief component and most of the fantastical elements. The bleakness of the anime is relentless, whereas the gruesome scenes of the manga are punctuated with moments of levity.

Decado

Is there any news on a follow-up to the films? I head something about a rumoured TV show or more films.

Personally, I enjoyed the films, despite the wonky art and CGI. A good companion to the TV series, which provided the depth (film just animated the action scenes better).

Would really like to see dark fantasy anime make a comeback (not that it was ever really that popular/good).

cyborg009

Banned
Okay watched 13 episodes

Good stuff, I like it - wonder what will lead to the events of episode 1

I want to know your reaction when you see the final episode.

Ummm the anime is a Disney cartoon compared to the manga.

Also, share impressions when you finish the anime.

Pretty much. The first time I watched berserk I just went to the last episode and it was the worst idea ever.

Jex

I'm going to purchase Volumes 35 - 37 when 37 is released and reread the whole thing! Berserk's pacing is fantastic when you read it all at once; I just wish Miura would hurry it up a bit.

I feel it's nearly impossible to tell what his pacing his like when he releases like, 19 pages in 4 months but I believe you!

Nibel

I'm at episode 19 now and I think Berserk totally rocks, can't imagine how the manga is since all I read is praise for it

Also, I could be in the minority, but I absolutely enjoy the quality of the animations and the overall look - nowadays most animes don't have much details and look pretty similar to each other (I say that as someone who doesn't watch much anime I must confess), and Berserk just looks awesome. I must say even the still shots look like real good paintings to me, just like this one; I made a few iPhone 5 Wallpapers out of it, hehe

berserk4ayem4.png

With white logo
With red logo
With dark blue logo

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
so threw a friend I managed to see all 3 of the remakes this week.
It was pretty cool. Battles were displayed epically and the animation was fluid.But something kept lingering in my mind bothering me that I couldn't put my finger on. Then it hit me, they nerfed the hell out of Casca compared to the original anime. She was a very strong female character in the original and in the remake they dragged her threw every female trope. which is crazy considering they used the same scenes. Then they made the rape scenes seem pleasurable which was bizarre. I struggle to find the right words to describe the disparities but something was off.

Thinking of giving the manga a serious shake this week but while reading the replies in this thread got me hyped, it disheartens me that the author has taken on another project that will further delay the rest of the manga.

Drencrom

I'm at episode 19 now and I think Berserk totally rocks, can't imagine how the manga is since all I read is praise for it

Also, I could be in the minority, but I absolutely enjoy the quality of the animations and the overall look - nowadays most animes don't have much details and look pretty similar to each other (I say that as someone who doesn't watch much anime I must confess), and Berserk just looks awesome. I must say even the still shots look like real good paintings to me, just like this one; I made a few iPhone 5 Wallpapers out of it, hehe

With white logo
With red logo
With dark blue logo

Nice wallpapers Nibs, you really should start reading the manga. The anime is pretty good but the manga is much better imo.

Armor of Guts and Griffith from Dragons Dogma.

17e8c60fad2e057be267c29a41833c0e1329367232_full.jpg

One of the main reasons why i bought Dragon's Dogma: DA haha

I kinda posted it on another thread, but there's this forum in Spanish about berserk that loves to discuss where the inspiration for Miura may come from, so I made a gallery with some of their comparisons. But I lost the link to the gallery I made of their pictures :/, this is what's left.

Excalibur (1981), Hellrisaiser (1987)
x3XGaIx.png
7bCWpIK.png
4rDulMy.png

Various films with Rutger Hauer: Ladyhawke (1997) , Flesh Blood (1985), The Blood of Heroes (1989)
kMciGNN.png
TLvee8l.jpg
oxrzVde.png
9k6JyPx.jpg
celine_sis2ver.jpg

Dragon Slayer (1981)
QFOevso.png
yunque-1.png

The Name of The Rose (1987)
nKPSylR.jpg
WfrdyKy.jpg
HlEIRH5.jpg

Ej6pjwm.jpg
real world locations.

I lost the link to the gallery I made :/

dan2026

I thought the Berserk anime was really crappy compared to the manga.

Its a massive mess. They immediately skip to the flashback arc, then cut half of it out and screw the ending up. Its not worth it.
The three new movies are just as bad really.

Just read the manga.

Have Dark Horse made it available digitally yet? I believe some of the volumes are out of print.

Mumei

I feel it's nearly impossible to tell what his pacing his like when he releases like, 19 pages in 4 months but I believe you!

I think there's a difference between the pacing of releases (oh my god) and pacing of the plot itself. If you read it from beginning to end, I think it feels like there's very little wasted time or filler. But when you read it as it is released, it feels like there's wasted time because you waited six months or longer, so of course the perspective is, "I waited six months for this fight that probably lasted five minutes?!"

He just needs to get the release schedule more regular again!

Nibel

I just watched the last episode

ujUxKg7.gif

ibchyd4XZAtqoK.gif

ibp5MOU1TvYKEf.gif

What the fuck man
Is this the biggest anime cliffhanger of all time or what

Hehhhhehehe, now go read the manga!

Also the third movie does a wicked good Eclipse, so that's worth checking out when you want more of that. Of course I don't know what sane person would want more of that.

Nibel

Yeah, just started to read the first chapter

Man, I think there aren't many mangas I stared at for several seconds because of the art - pretty amazingly drawn

Edit: and FUCK this is much more brutal than the anime so far, damn; Lord-Audie's description seems to fit

Necrovex

I think there's a difference between the pacing of releases (oh my god) and pacing of the plot itself. If you read it from beginning to end, I think it feels like there's very little wasted time or filler. But when you read it as it is released, it feels like there's wasted time because you waited six months or longer, so of course the perspective is, "I waited six months for this fight that probably lasted five minutes?!"

He just needs to get the release schedule more regular again!

Don't do this to me, Mumei. I don't want to read Berserk again until Mirua finishes this manga. I cannot handle the heartache of catching up and crying about how the manga will take 20 more years to complete.

Tacitus_

Man, I think there aren't many mangas I stared at for several seconds because of the art - pretty amazingly drawn

Edit: and FUCK this is much more brutal than the anime so far, damn; Lord-Audie's description seems to fit

The art gets a lot better too. I find the first few volumes to look very weird these days.

Berserk works best if you start at the flashback arc, with Guts's birth.

I really don't think so. If you follow it normally, throughout the entire Golden Age arc there is a sense of dread that just lingers because you know somethings going to happen. You seen the fallout of the ending, but you don't know what caused it. I think it really works,

Nibel

I'm just reading the chapter about his childhood and Gambino

Well shit, the
rape
wasn't even mentioned in the anime

neptunes

I really don't think so. If you follow it normally, throughout the entire Golden Age arc there is a sense of dread that just lingers because you know somethings going to happen. You seen the fallout of the ending, but you don't know what caused it. I think it really works,
Yup, it's ideal when you start at from the beginning.

Yonafunu

Well shit, the
rape

God, you're in for a treat. The sourest treat you've ever had, but a treat nonetheless.

Agreed, it works beautifully as is.

Gattsu25

Banned

I wish I could experience what you are going through again. I wish I could re-watch the show and re-read the manga with a "1st time" experience.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Awesome thread! :]
Posted about the similarities between Artorias of the Abyss, and Berserker Armor Gutts before in the Dark Souls thread.

xwU6PMN.jpg

So good.

I remember in an interview Miyazaki said that the whole design of Artorias, including his movesets are based on Berserker Armor Guts

Also, i may get flamed for saying this but the
Eclipse
scene is much better done in the movie than in the anime.

The Golden Age OVA / Movie series does a great job of actually finishing it off.

I recommend it to anyone over the series if you haven't watched it yet!

cyborg009

Banned

The art changes and gets better as you read. If I can find the picture of guts faces through the manga he doesn't look the same as was in Blacksword arc.

edit: found it
http://i.imgur.com/rmHR4sF.jpg

Alric

It's great to see so many people who follow Berserk. Especially the ones that are being introduced to it through this thread. It's such a great manga and epic journey.

Well shit, the
rape

YESSS YESSSS.

Good shit. I was going to recommend to start the manga from the beginning. Some decide to start the manga from the moment the anime ends. This is a big mistake. The anime is fantastic, but there are things that were omitted.

Nibel

YESSS YESSSS.

Good shit. I was going to recommend to start the manga from the beginning. Some decide to start the manga from the moment the anime ends. This is a big mistake. The anime is fantastic, but there are things that were omitted.

I think it's pretty dumb to start after the anime - the manga looks so damn good and has a lot more details than the show, it really isn't a comparison

BTW, question: did Kentaro Miura draw everything himself? I'm now at the part where
Guts and Cesqua are in the forest cave
and damn this looks better than almost every manga page I've seen from modern mangas

And it's probably the most brutal manga I've read so far - dark fantasy is awesome

I think it's pretty dumb to start after the anime - the manga looks so damn good and has a lot more details than the show, it really isn't a comparison

BTW, question: did Kentaro Miura draw everything himself? I'm now at the part where
Guts and Cesqua are in the forest cave
and damn this looks better than almost every manga page I've seen from modern mangas

And it's probably the most brutal manga I've read so far - dark fantasy is awesome

I wish I could say, but someone will chime in and maybe answer that. Like most/all mangaka he has assistants, but i don't think it would be far fetched to say that this may be all of his design.

Tizoc

Refresh my memory since I'm too lazy to re-read the manga any time soon sadly
1- Who are the God Hand again?
2- What was Femto doing after the Eclipse that transformed him?
3- How did Griffith ressurect himself again?

mu cephei

The art changes and gets better as you read. If I can find the picture of guts faces through the manga he doesn't look the same as was in Blacksword arc.

edit: found it
http://i.imgur.com/rmHR4sF.jpg

Thanks for the link. Though I think the opposite - I prefer the style the characters were drawn in in vols 2 - 13 (I'm not counting vol. 1 as Miura evidently couldn't draw very well then). They were maybe less polished, but I just prefer it, I think it had more charm. In fact it's one of my ongoing annoyances with Berserk. The art bugs me overall though, not just the characters. I really don't need to see my 100th 2-page spread of intricately drawn freak monster wotsits. A bit more story development and a little bit less of that *. I don't think I can consider myself as a Berserk fan anymore for these reasons, and because basically I agree with Tokkun about Guts' new gang - although I still think it's one of the best stories ever.

(* Not that I want it to become just sketched outlines of course, like that other manga I forget the name of...)

Tacitus_

Refresh my memory since I'm too lazy to re-read the manga any time soon sadly
1- Who are the God Hand again?
2- What was Femto doing after the Eclipse that transformed him?
3- How did Griffith ressurect himself again?

1. Basically evil angels. They empower the apostles.
2. Chilling out with the other God Hand
3. With a Mock Eclipse and the Egg of the New World (an apostle)

cyborg009

Banned
I wish I could say, but someone will chime in and maybe answer that. Like most/all mangaka he has assistants, but i don't think it would be far fetched to say that this may be all of his design.

I'm pretty sure he has no assistant, which is one of the reasons why the manga takes so long to release a chapter.

Veelk

Banned
That is some beyond Band of the Hawks translation right there.

Funny thing, even that name may be wrong. The word for Hawk and Falcon are the same in the japanese language, so they just went with hawk because I guess it sounded better. But with the emergence of Falconia, it seems the intended name for Griffith's mercenary group may have been Band of the Falcon.

Funny thing, even that name may be wrong. The word for Hawk and Falcon are the same in the japanese language, so they just went with hawk because I guess it sounded better. But with the emergence of Falconia, it seems the intended name for Griffith's mercenary group may have been Band of the Falcon.
Yeah, I even put Band of the Falcon in the OP. Miura said the name comes from the Millennium Falcon.

Top Bottom