• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Arcade Racing series(overall): Need for Speed or Ridge Racer?

Which of the two biggest Arcade racing franchises is thebest?

• Both, I can't choose between them!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
(not to be confused with kart racers)

Now while both Need for Speed and Ridge Racer have been kind of down in output due to very odd and in many cases dumb decisions with their latest entries, they are the two biggest arcade racing franchises on the market over all with years of some fantastic games.

So out of these two behemoths in the arcade racer scene, which do you prefer more? Each comes with very good looking fast-paced racing to get your heart going to slap your grandma. The two titans that will likely never be topped.

Examples of popular Need for Speed games:

• Need For Speed
  • Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
  • Need For Speed High Stakes
  • Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
  • Need for Speed UnderGround
  • Need for Speed UnderGround 2
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted
  • Need for Speed Carbon
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)

Examples of popular Ridge Racer games:

• Ridge Racer
  • Rage Racer
  • Ridge Racer Type-4-R4: Ridge Racer 4th Project (or just R4: Ridge Racer Type-4)
  • Ridge Racer 6
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Rave Racer
  • Ride Racer (PSP)
  • R: Racing Evolution

Vawn

Banned
I get you like seeing your name flooding the front page of the boards at all times, but your polls are getting lazier. These two aren't really very comparable.

Each comes with very good looking fast-paced racing to get your heart going to slap your grandma. The two titans that will likely never be topped.

Ok, then...

Last edited:
No Need for Speed 2 OP? 😉

When talking about content and evolution, NFS by far. But for the dope factor, RR. It's immediate fun in your veins. So RR for me.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
While RR holds a special place in my heart, the series fell off hard later in life. NFS has had its fair share of duds as well, but I still find it to be an overall more consistent series.

TwiztidElf

Project Gotham Racing.
Extend it out to all Bizarre Creations Racers (Formula 1 (1996) through to Blur), and the case is even stronger.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Motorstorm Apocalypse
msa_under_truckt7mt.gif

pr0cs

I liked the burnout series but I won't lie, I didn't really enjoy the genre. I just couldn't get into racing the same tracks over and over. I like for a forza for example but I found the difficulty and my ability to relate to the cars. Arcade racers didn't really have relatable vehicles or felt like cars.

Burnout was a good evolution of outrun but it’s still no outrun. Cop the PC version on the cheap if you can 😛 I just picked up all 3 versions of Sega rally too but one and two are a pain to get running apparently.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Here are a few worthy contenders to the throne:

Daytona USA
F-Zero
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Hydro Thunder
Metropolis Street Racer/Project Gotham
Micro Machines
Outrun
Pole Position
Roadblasters (not sure if this qualifies, but what the heck)
San Francisco Rush 2049
Sega Rally Championship
Super Monaco GP
Test Drive Le Mans
Virtua Racing
Wipeout

Acidizer

Banned
NFS.

RR's handling/physics is especially shallow, even for an arcade game... could never get into that, and Sega Rally smashes it anyway :)

We need a remaster of Hot Pursuit (PS3) that was way better than Burnout Paradise!

Last edited:
NFS.

RR's handling/physics is especially shallow, even for an arcade game... could never get into that, and Sega Rally smashes it anyway :)

We need a remaster of Hot Pursuit (PS3) that was way better than Burnout Paradise!

Ehh, Burnout Paradise was alright, I don't get the flack it got.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Do you count arcady future racers? Then F-Zero. Otherwise Burnout (pre-Paradise of course). Definitely neither of the mentioned. Too slow.

Last edited:
Ridge Racer. Metropolis Street Racer may be my favorite, individual racing game of all-time. But nothing comes close to Ridge Racer outside of Daytona USA.

Shifty

Seven months later, the omission of Outrun 2 from this list is STILL staggering.

tumblr_o9jeiqiNrS1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom