• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Battle Presentation In A Turn-Based RPG?

FFXII and Chrono Trigger, because if you've got a separate battle screen you've failed.
I wouldn't agree with this, as I think some games actually benefit from the scree transition (Such as Thousand Year Door).

That being said, I do really love how Chrono Trigger never does change and, while you are forced into some battles, you can avoid others. One of the many forward thinking concepts in that game.

N30RYU

Resonance of fate?

75e549a6z4s3e.gif

Resonance of fate

Would love a remaster 1080/60

I like Wild Arms 3's battle presentation. Instead of your characters just standing around and waiting for their turn, they (and your enemies) all run around and circle each other, like they're looking for cover or a good shot. It serves no gameplay purpose at all--it's just a standard, turn-based fight--but it looks active and engaging.

Bitanator

I loved the way Magical Starsign on the DS looked

magicalstards_005-large.jpg

fun battle mechanics and a cute story. Charming game, I'd love a sequel

Fbh

Chrono Trigger:

ku-xlarge.gif

The HUD just gives you the information you need and nothing more
And, most importantly, combat takes place in the same where you encounter the enemies

While i didnt necessarily like the systems, would love if FF7 battles looked like this

As long as it's not the same combat system, I agree.

I'd love a more traditional turn based take on it, where you can give more specific actions to all of your characters, but have them move around and attack as in FFXIII so it does't look like they are just standing in a line

This topic has somehow turned into a Final Fantasy XIII application topic and I am pleasantly surprised. Someone should gif the instant cutscene to Havok Skytank battle. I love that

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Cool, I think I found how to adjust the instagiffer settings to make it look more like other gameplay gifs I see. I'll probably post a few more FFXIII gifs throughout this thread as I make them.

y6QjrgX.gif
I use instagiffer. If a game is 30fps turn the framerate up to 30. 10 fps being the default is stupid.

Jade Cocoon had some nice angles during combat.
Jade Cocoon 2 mixed it up with that grid system, I actually enjoyed that one too.

Best first post.
Jade Cocoon 2 especially had an interesting battle screen. The dark arenas made the cartoony visuals and bright lights from spells show up well.

THIS IS THE ONE WHO FELL OUT OF HEAVEN! MAN'S GREATEST GLIMPSE OF HELLFIRE RED!

There's something, I don't know, peculiar about it in a low rent, 'clipart' sort of way, but I grew to really, really like the battle presentation in Tales Of Xulima. Very intuitive, responsive and clear with its info. Lots of personality. Good immediate sense of numbers/size danger.

Very marionnetish, even.

Is this a good game? I like the style

THE BEST OF GAMES. Good TB that makes ya sweat.

squall23

These aren't even the full scenes. The timing is a little off on some of them too. I think the 2 console games recaptured a bit of that magic.
The point is that the SNES games actually looked like the characters were fighting instead of the characters hitting and waiting to get hit.

Riposte

The Last Remnant. The dynamic music alone puts it at the top. Large battles with a varied cast that give off an epic feel. Pretty nice special effects.

Any first person SMT game that isn't Devil Survivor:

Devil Survivor 2 actually has really nice looking maps.

The point is that the SNES games actually looked like the characters were fighting instead of the characters hitting and waiting to get hit.

Not to mention the detail into the critical hits. You can tell if it was a critical hit that would kill, or not kill and enemy; or whether it was a first hit critical, or a counter critical. So much detail.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The detail is nice but I think FE7-9 is far better in terms of style. Those moves really got you pumped for your dudes.

sgjackson

honestly this is antithetical to the thread concept but the sprite work in pokemon red/blue is so bad it spins back around to being awesome. i always wondered if this was intentional.

Top Bottom