• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy: Free PS4 PRO with one of two expensive as hell OLED TVs

Mokubba

Who wants to watch a TV that is tilted and leaning backwards though? Plus anyone buying a TV of that price should be using a proper sound setup, not the TV and stand as their sound source.

I don't think you can get it perfectly vertical but from the reviews I've read it's not leaning to the point where it's majorly distracting but it will be different for everyoine.

Off course, regarding the sound system. It's a must and anyone buying something this price can afford one. I just like how the stand also doubles as a sub from a design point of view.

i wasn't going to spend thousands of dollars on one of these but now that i see how well it would accent my cup full of twigs, black cone, and hoop... how can i resist?

lol, I wasn't talking about the TV matching your decoration.
What I meant is just having your picture sort of floating in a rectangular frame.

I'm a fan of the minimalistic setup for TV's.
The LG OLED for example just looks great when posted up on the wall and flushes in with the wall because it's so thin and the sound bar is kept away from it.

C-dnpo8XgAEYIR8.jpg

The SONY is similar on a cabinet since it doesn't have the traditional stand which hoists it up but instead the frame just rests on the cabinet.

Shin

Banned
Oh damn it's the A1E, the TV is freaking amazing albeit expensive as hell.
One of the best OLED to come out this year and the best according to some videophiles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Those TVs are fucking amazing, at least. Usually the "get a console with a TV" deals are for shit tier displays.

JWiLL

Banned
For the price of one of these, you could build yourself a 7700k + 1080Ti rig and grab a 4k monitor then use the leftover money to buy like 10 new release games on Steam.

People love them big screens though.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Helios13

Neo Member
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/sony-co18220

Sony - 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) - OLED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black - Model: XBR65A1E - $4,999.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...h-dynamic-range-black/5770946.p?skuId=5770946

Sony - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - OLED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black - Model: XBR55A1E - $3,499.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...h-dynamic-range-black/5770951.p?skuId=5770951

RTINGS:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e-oled

I for one couldn't afford this, even if I wanted it, but for those with the cash, perhaps.

And I thought you were gonna hook a brother up...

Who on GAF has the cash for this? Reveal yourself please!

My 65" A1 arrived today. :)

And you don't really notice the tilt at all. Not unless you specifically look for it.

I haven't spent enough time with it yet to "review" its performance, but goddam if it ain't the most beautiful looking TV I've ever seen. It's a beautiful looking piece of furniture.

Mokubba

Could be ..worse?...like Samsung's UN85S9 Framed 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV. At one point, this was $40,000 U.S.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

41Iayl16CuL.jpg

My boss showed me the customer reviews on Amazon just the other day. Made my day

And you don't really notice the tilt at all. Not unless you specifically look for it.

I haven't spent enough time with it yet to "review" its performance, but goddam if it ain't the most beautiful looking TV I've ever seen. It's a beautiful looking piece of furniture.

You hung it up or do you have it standing?

Shin

Banned

Congrats and yea that's what most owners on AVSForum say as well, there are some that don't like the tilt but majority of them don't seem to mind or distracted by it.
Might want to head over there for settings and what's not, they have 4-5 threads for the TV, here's the calibration one: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...eral/2815857-sony-a1e-calibration-thread.html

Kieli

I could buy 3597.1223021582738129496028777 McDoubles for the price of one of those OLEDS.

That's approximately 71942.44604316546762589928057554 grams of protein that could have fed starving pidgeons on the local bus exchange.

The Sammy KS8000 is a nice TV, but as good as a Sony AE1 OLED?

lol no.

The oled tvs outdo everything in dark rooms. They make big budget movie theaters look terrible. ( Of course all the demo material shows brightly colored stuff on velvet black backgrounds).

But probably the sweet $ spot now is the hisense series 7 tv, for a ridiculous budget price you get the majority of the performance of the oled tvs.

RCU005

I saw those TVs the other day at Best Buy and they are gorgeous! I think they are one of the best TVs currently! I have a 2011 XBR 55" TV and they are incredible! Sony is amazing at doing TVs and have gotten much better. Yes, they are very expensive, but IMO, they are worth it. However, I always wait until the new ones come out, so that the current ones get a huge discount.

If you have the money, buy it! It's an amazing TV, and with a free PS4 PRO, just sweetens the deal.

For me though, I will wait until they announce/release the PS5 to buy a 4K TV, and by then, OLED TVs will be cheaper.

Caayn

How do these compare to the LG OLEDs?
Same panel as the 2017 LG OLEDs. With changes to tone mapping (less accurate in favour of more pop in the extreme bright whites for example), Sony's upscaling and motion handling, Android TV (Which I personally see as a downside) vs WebOS, and a better sound system when compared to LG's B and C models the E and G models come with an integrated sound bar and the W model comes with a separate sound bar.

For me personally it's not worth the extra premium over the LG OLEDs.
Seriously, what the heck? Please don't let this catch on. Ever.
Case of design over function. Saw the A1E two days ago for the first time. The thing that immediately caught my eye was the slant towards the back. Looked very distracting, especially when you're in a lazy moot and lay down on the sofa.

I have a little older 55" XBR810c and love it, but I definitely couldn't afford the TV's in the OP. Still debating on if I should get the PS4 Pro or wait for PS5.

Yjynx

Amazing TV one of the best definitely. The upscaling and motion handling are unmatched. Can't wait what improvement they could achieve next year.

You could buy a 55" Samsung KS8000 and a Pro.

You'd be getting a better TV and you'd be saving over 1500 bucks.
This is a very dumb statement. Either you work for Samsung or huge fan. Samsung TV are really sucks nowadays.

J-Rzez

You could buy a 55" Samsung KS8000 and a Pro.

You'd be getting a better TV and you'd be saving over 1500 bucks.

You absolutely would not be getting a better TV. The KS8000 was good, last year, outside of screen bleed/flashligting. This year you buy a X900E if you can't afford/justify an OLED. It blows this years Samsung's and the KS8000 out of the water due to full array.

I own a 65A1E, love it. I don't use the sound feature because I have a full Definitive Technology/Denon Atmos system, but tried it out. Surprisingly OK sound, especially when I aux in one of my subs. Don't really need a soundbar, good separation, pretty neat.

You can buy a LG C7 though for much cheaper, especially if you don't need things like "smooth gradient" on the Sony. I "needed" that feature though. Stupid rainbow bands in the sky drive me crazy.

My boss showed me the customer reviews on Amazon just the other day. Made my day

You hung it up or do you have it standing?
Standing. It doesn't tilt when wall mounted.

Congrats and yea that's what most owners on AVSForum say as well, there are some that don't like the tilt but majority of them don't seem to mind or distracted by it.
Might want to head over there for settings and what's not, they have 4-5 threads for the TV, here's the calibration one: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...eral/2815857-sony-a1e-calibration-thread.html
Thanks man, that link is much appreciated.

Bustanen

You can buy a LG C7 though for much cheaper, especially if you don't need things like "smooth gradient" on the Sony. I "needed" that feature though. Stupid rainbow bands in the sky drive me crazy.
Yeah it's really weird how bad the image processing is on the LG OLEDs. My old Sony W800 looks much better than the LG B6 in this regard and it has a 6bit panel lol.

DxD

Banned
77" is $18,000 :O

Some days I really wish I had a bunch of money to just throw down on stuff like this.

Edit: I've never really looked at these kind of TVs before but is that weird stand just a Sony thing? Looks ridiculous to be honest.

Good god...That is a down payment for a house.

Can also get the new and nicer Civics R too for that price.

Zen Aku

For the price of one of these, you could build yourself a 7700k + 1080Ti rig and grab a 4k monitor then use the leftover money to buy like 10 new release games on Steam.

People love them big screens though.
Yeah but it's not the same watching a sport game on your small 27 inch monitor.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Amazing TV one of the best definitely. The upscaling and motion handling are unmatched. Can't wait what improvement they could achieve next year.

This is a very dumb statement. Either you work for Samsung or huge fan. Samsung TV are really sucks nowadays.

Well, I wouldn't say they suck, it's just that the 2017 Samsung TVs are suffering from the "Bose syndrome" (bad value in that you pay too much for what you get)

The KS8000 was the de facto bang-for-the-buck choice of 2016.......so much so it is actually brighter than a fancy 2017 Samsung Q7 QLED, which is much more expensive.

J-Rzez

I've had the A1E for a while now, the lean back is not an issue. My wife never commented on it, and everyone else said they forgot about it. So its weird, yes, but a non-issue I'd assume to most.

Nice. Congrats!

Yeah it looked amazing in person when I saw it and have been following the couple of threads for the TV over there since I plan to get the 55" probably at the nice price drop.

How do these compare to the LG OLEDs?

Sony is using LG OLED panels but have superior hardware behind it in terms of image processing.

Gamers should be aware that OLED is an emissive pixel technology and that uneven pixel wear is what causes burn-in. You can wear pixels unevenly by displaying a static game HUD on the panel for example.

We'll see how your TV's panel looks in 5 years then. Good luck.
Had Plasmas. Have OLED. It's very obviously different. Had to babysit the plasma and had burn-in that would never go away no matter how hard it was 'scrubbed' and the images were on screen far less than with the OLED.

Image retention on OLED is never noticeable when switching to dark source material and dissipates quickly in all other formats.

While I don't believe it is would be an issue, with the way panel technology is progressing I have zero interest in keeping this set for 5 years anyways.

Top Bottom