• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy strategic planning calendar. PS3 demo kiosks October 20. Wii Oct 29.

lachesis

I'm actually more interested in its real size... I'm sure it's designed to appear not as big as original Xbox, but it is indeed bigger than that in real dimension... but how exactly big will it be when I see it?

Size does matter for me, as I have limited space for the thing... and I might have to move some stuff around to make some space for PS3.

I wonder how dirty those Lay-Z-Boys get from the dirty fanboys lounging in them all day...

Ahhh, but that sounds like a lovely setup. Like everyone else, I'd love that in my house. They can keep the PS3 though. The TV's just fine enough for me :D

black_13

Banned
JB1981 said:
I think I see where you're going with this.

Code:
And I don't like it
Don't go too ahead of yourself. I'm just asking cause if it all comes bundled together with a special deal/bundle I might as well get it together and save a bunch of $$ as my living or should I say gaming room lacks all of those.

seanoff

You all realise that at least one person will walk into each store, point at the demo lounge and go "I WANT THAT!!!" and mean all of it, couches, the lot ,and be serious.

I wonder if the staff are going to have any idea how to handle that or if there is something in place to sell them the lot.

Drek

Speaking of Best Buy, I saw two rednecks playing Guitar Hero last time I stopped in (to pick up Okami). Seriously FUNNIEST SHIT EVER. Holding the guitar upside down, sideways, repeatedly pressing the same button expecting different results, one guy tried swinging it like a ****ing axe. It was great.

Mrbob

black_13 said:
Don't go too ahead of yourself. I'm just asking cause if it all comes bundled together with a special deal/bundle I might as well get it together and save a bunch of $$ as my living or should I say gaming room lacks all of those.

The TV alone sell for $4300. ;)

dyls

I'm not sure what everyone is so excited about. The 360 actually got setups at least this good, at least in L.A. The one in Atwater Village (or possibly Burbank) had a 7' DLP projection setup, though only 5.1 sound.

The real news here is the lack of a Wii demo area. The Wii is a system that requires a large setup to really get people into it, and draw a crowd. A kiosk just isn't big enough, people won't be able to really let loose at Wii sports. My idea for the perfect setup was a small tennis court, with TVs back-to-back at the net. Four people could stand in real doubles' positions and play. Now that would draw spectatore (for good or bad.)

SuperPac

WTF is that a floorplan of in those slides? That doesn't look like any Best Buy I've seen. Too many doors. :p

I call bull**** on these slides. Either they're fake, or someone who's in a high-school business class put them together to show off his mad Powerpoint skillzorz. Besides, Best Buy's fiscal year ends at the end of February. Oct-Dec. is not "end of fiscal year." Nice try though. The blogs'll pick this up in 3...2...1...

Aeon712

The thing that scares me about the wii kiosk is flying wiimote's unless I find someway to buckle them down.

Rhindle

Wait, they're going to devote the entire front area of the store over Christmas to a product that isn't going to be available for more than 10 minutes?

Either BB is monumentally dumb, or these are fakezors total.

Speevy

Banned
Dante said:
Yeeesh that's kinda harsh on the 360 front

Not really. You should have seen Gamestop when the Xbox launched. They put the thing dead center of the store and I don't even remember where the PS2 was then.

Yeah that floorplan doesn't look like any Best Buy I have ever seen.

t72772.jpg

Dante

Speevy said:
Not really. You should have seen Gamestop when the Xbox launched. They put the thing dead center of the store and I don't even remember where the PS2 was then.

I don't think I've ever been to a Gamespot that had their PS2 demo kiosk "removed", maybe I'm confusing demo area, and kiosk though.

ManaByte

I looks like Best Buy has options set up for people who want to buy the same TV/Audio setup with their PS3:
untitled1ps1.jpg

Brofist

Rhindle said:
Wait, they're going to devote the entire front area of the store over Christmas to a product that isn't going to be available for more than 10 minutes?

Well they wont be selling out of 1080p sets and 7.1 sound systems in 10 minutes, and I can guarantee you they are doing this as much for the sale of those items.

jiggle

This is for the entire fall/winter season's marketing. I would hope Sony ships more PS3 after the launch :lol

ManaByte

Rhindle said:

They did the EXACT SAME THING for the 360.

One BB here had a 360 running Madden on a HDTV with recliners all throughout Christmas, and they didn't have the systems in.

Speevy

Banned
Dante said:
I don't think I've ever been to a Gamespot that had their PS2 kiosk "pulled"

I didn't say it was gone, just not in a prominent position.

And yeah, my Best Buy couldn't accomodate this unless they completely redid the entire video game section. (like tore it out)

ManaByte

Speevy said:
I didn't say it was gone, just not in a prominent position.

And yeah, my Best Buy couldn't accomodate this unless they completely redid the entire video game section. (like tore it out)

Something like this is usually put between the video game section and the OMG BEND OVER Home Theater section, at least that's how the 360 setup was. That way you're not far away from the "would you like some lube" Home Theater sales people.

wiips3kiosks.jpg

This picture has been confirmed as real... so I have more belief into thinking that those slides are fake, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be suprised if BB did set-up the PS3's like mentioned, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

ManaByte

Karma Kramer said:
wiips3kiosks.jpg

This picture has been confirmed as real... so I have more belief into thinking that those slides are fake, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be suprised if BB did set-up the PS3's like mentioned, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

No, the slides are real.

Best Buy did a set up like this for the 360. They had two recliners, two HDTVs, and two 360s. Both were running Madden.

Rhindle

ManaByte said:
They did the EXACT SAME THING for the 360.

One BB here had a 360 running Madden on a HDTV with recliners all throughout Christmas, and they didn't have the systems in.
I must have been to at least a half dozen BBs at some point over the holidays, and all I ever saw was a kiosk with a 23" screen. They didn't even get around to freeing up some rack space for games until around March 2006.

I'm not doubting that your store had a set-up, but it certainly wasn't the norm.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
are these slides legit? im kinda dissapointed if the eyetoy2 is arriving in january, i was hoping it would be there at launch.

edit:
im calling fake, notice the home equity loan station bit. :lol

SuperPac

Bad_Boy said:
are these slides legit? im kinda dissapointed if the eyetoy2 is arriving in january, i was hoping it would be there at launch.

Unless the floorplan of most Best Buys look like libraries or office buildings with a bajillion rooms, doors, closets, tables, and some kind of patio -- they're fake.

Bad_Boy said:
edit:

Ha. All that proves is the slide ManaByte's got on the second page is just slightly more ridiculous than the slides on the first.

mr_nothin

Banned
Bad_Boy said:

edit:
He added that, cant you tell?

Umm, check the black levels around the top and bottom of the second slide. Bit of Photoshop action going on there.

Still, there's no denying that some BBs are going to do something like this. About half the ones I went to during my 360 hunt at the start of the year had this sort of thing set up for it.

tjhooker

Banned
Rhindle said:
I must have been to at least a half dozen BBs at some point over the holidays, and all I ever saw was a kiosk with a 23" screen.

They save the big setups for more affluent areas.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zimarooski said:
Those couch setups aren't new, there's a Best Buy near my school that has that same thing going on with their 360.

Same with the Best Buy in Cambridge, MA. Although the TVs are no so big and there isnt a sound system hooked up to it. So yea this Sony PS3 set up is pretty sweet. Now I have a place to go after work and play some games. :D

tjhooker

Banned
neojubei said:
Same with the Best Buy in Cambridge, MA. Although the TVs are no so big and there isnt a sound system hooked up to it.

Yep the X360 setups wouldn't have had 1080p TVs and 7.1 receivers hooked up to it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
dyls said:
I'm not sure what everyone is so excited about. The 360 actually got setups at least this good, at least in L.A. The one in Atwater Village (or possibly Burbank) had a 7' DLP projection setup, though only 5.1 sound.

The real news here is the lack of a Wii demo area. The Wii is a system that requires a large setup to really get people into it, and draw a crowd. A kiosk just isn't big enough, people won't be able to really let loose at Wii sports. My idea for the perfect setup was a small tennis court, with TVs back-to-back at the net. Four people could stand in real doubles' positions and play. Now that would draw spectatore (for good or bad.)

You can't sell HDTVs with a Wii, sorry.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Not true, at least in my area.

Right, thet were turned off because they didn't want customers in the store?

Also maybe coincidence, because I'm living in Britain, but Virgin store I went into yesterday has changed the setup totally and there's a massive area of space around the big screen television, probably just christmas.

travisbickle said:
Right, thet were turned off because they didn't want customers in the store?

They didn`t want kids in there playing all day with no intention of buying anything. I even asked the manager because I wanted to play.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My Best Buy has 2 recliners, a 42" Panasonic plasma, 1 x360, with 5.1 surround sound and 2 controllers. The room has a huge X360 sign over the entrance and has had this setup since pre-launch. They ran the COD2 demo non-stop around launch. Now, it is Madden all the time. They are totally renovating the TV and home audio section and I was told was that the PS3 will be setup on the opposite side of the games section away from the X360 on a separate TV but with a similar setup. Sounds to me that each store has different strats.

jjasper

My BB has the 360 hooked up to a Slimfit and a Westinghouse 30'

CC on the other hand has a whole room set up with it.

Top Bottom