• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Controller Emulation Software (Windows 10)?

SOLDIER

I used to use Xpadder for all my controller mapping needs, allowing me to create profiles for all my different controllers as well as autoprofiles that start up depending on the game I select. It's carried me through many kb/m only games, or those that didn't simulate controller support fully.

But ever since Windows 10, Xpadder hasn't been working as well as it used to. For one thing, it doesn't automatically switch controller profiles when I turn on a controller. It also tends to default to set 2 of a controller rather than set 1, and occasionally it won't turn off a game's autoprofile after I exit from the game. Long story short, it's been pretty spotty.

So I wanted to inquire about any alternatives. Is there a unanimously beloved controller mapping software that works perfectly on Windows 10? I want to be able to have all the features that Xpadder provided, such as letting me boot up Steam Big Picture Mode with a specific button combination (L2+Start, in my case) as well as automatically turn on/off profiles for each game I play.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking for wireless controller options. Wired is a no-go for me.

Edit 2: DS4 and XB1 suggestions only, please.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've had zero issues connecting my PS3 controller with MotioninJoy.

Sophia

If you have a Dualshock 4, both InputMapper and DS4Windows J2K are fantastic alternatives. They default to an Xbox 360/Xinput gamepad, but you can customize them as you please. The DualShock 4 itself works as a DirectInput controller itself out of the box, although support for newer programs is a bit spotty sometimes.

I've had zero issues connecting my PS3 controller with MotioninJoy.

Unless things have changed, MotionInJoy was adware/malware and not advisable. BetterDS3 existed as an adware free alternative, but the Xinput Wrapper for the DS3 was generally considered better.

I plugged my DS4 in with a charging. Cable and it works just fine. Didn't even download any files for it.

If using a "wired" controller isn't a problem for you and you have a DS4, try that and see if it works for ya.

SOLDIER

I use Motionjoy for my DS4, but I would ideally want to be able to bounce between my DS4 and XB1 controllers on the fly without issue; I would want the same configurations and hotkeys (again, booting up Steam) on both controllers without the need to manually open/change anything.

Also, I would like wireless options only please.

butman

The King + InputMapper

accessories-dualshock4-black-01-us-27aug14

shockdude

If you have a DS3, then motioninjoy's the best you have. There is a fully offline non-malware mod floating around that no one knows about and which I personally use. On mobile so can't link it atm.
Use offline motioninjoy with BetterDS3 for profile support.
Edit: No auto switching profiles though.

More generically, I hear AutoHotKey has decent gamepad support.
Please stop recommending MotionInJoy. It's really bad, and better and more importantly, safer options exist.
Safer, less functional options exist. SCP doesn't support swapping the DPAD with the left stick.
Offline MiJ is clean, honest.

Sophia

Safer, less functional options exist. SCP doesn't support swapping the DPAD with the left stick.
Offline MiJ is clean, honest.

Not entirely. While it posses none of the adware that the regular MotionInJoy posses, it still fucks with your Bluetooth drivers.

Which, considering that the OP is looking for wireless solutions, might not be the best outcome.

I use Motionjoy for my DS4, but I would ideally want to be able to bounce between my DS4 and XB1 controllers on the fly without issue; I would want the same configurations and hotkeys (again, booting up Steam) on both controllers without the need to manually open/change anything.

Also, I would like wireless options only please.

There's no reason to use MotionInJoy for your DS4. Ditch it and get InputMapper or DS4Windows J2k. They have the same functionality and extensive mapping options, but without serving you malware through uncontrollable ads. If you need uninstall instructions for MotIonInJoy to recover your bluetooth, the link 60EffPeeEss posted above has some on it's MotionInJoy page

Here's a sample of the controller options that DS4Windows J2K has. Don't really have a suggestion for bouncing between the two on the fly tho, sorry.

Shawsie64

Banned
Steam Controller is the best solution. Can map anything to anywhere, macros, mode shift, play all keyboard and mouse games with it.

SOLDIER

For those suggesting Motionjoy, I haven't figured out how to set up autoprofiles. How do I do that?

And this still doesn't take care of my XB1 controller. I need that to work too.

Exentryk

I use Inputmapper for DS4. Can switch between profiles instantly, has macro support, touchpad mapping, etc. Works great. I think the 2.0 version will be including support for all types of controllers. Here is the spill from their About page:

Input Mapper is designed to bridge the gap between the devices you use and the games you play. Started in 2014 as DS4Tool and then DS4Windows, Input Mapper immediately gained a strong following after allowing users to use their Dualshock 4 controllers in games that don't allow for the direct input protocol used by the device.

Starting in 2015 the project began to seek beyond just Dualshock 4 implementation and from that idea Input Mapper was borne. IM2 is currently under development and will feature a open framework and plugin system to allow 3rd party developers to expand the capabilities of the tool through plugins. IM seeks to eliminate the need for numerous tools to run numerous type of controllers by creating a single application that can accept any device and emulate any device.

shockdude

Not entirely. While it posses none of the adware that the regular MotionInJoy posses, it still fucks with your Bluetooth drivers.

Which, considering that the OP is looking for wireless solutions, might not be the best outcome.
Both MiJ and SCP replace and screw with Bluetooth drivers, and both will only do so if you tell it to. My laptop's BT chip works with MiJ's driver (and SCP's driver), and when I'm done I roll back the driver and reboot the laptop.
For those suggesting Motionjoy, I haven't figured out how to set up autoprofiles. How do I do that?

And this still doesn't take care of my XB1 controller. I need that to work too.
Let's make some things clear. What controllers do you have?

For DS3: If you want profiles at the driver level, use MiJ. Here's a link to the offline MiJ mod and a tutorial on how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNocakZt5OQ
Offline mod is totally safe; the config utility makes zero network connections as opposed to the stock config utility's 20-some connections. The driver itself is fine, according to the guy who called MiJ "malware" in the first place.
That same guy created BetterDS3, which is excellent for creating DS3 controller profiles. It can automatically start a profile when connecting a controller, but unfortunately it does not support game-specific autoprofiles.

If you have no need for driver-level profiles then use ScpToolkit, which is an unofficial continuation to the SCP driver that everyone loves. I will happily switch to ScpToolkit once it supports proper controller profiles.

For DS4: try InputMapper. Apparently it also supports XInput controllers through a plugin.

But yeah if you really want that much fine-grain control over your controller profiles you should probably get a Steam Controller. You'll spend more time playing with profiles than playing your games and you'll have a great time lol.

CO_Andy

Steam Controller is the best solution. Can map anything to anywhere, macros, mode shift, play all keyboard and mouse games with it.
The trackpads are an absolutely terrible analog stick/dpad replacement. Unless you either play a lot of shooters or RTS' then i wouldn't recommend this controller.

Dualshock 4 is the king right now for general PC use. The touchpad infinitely puts it ahead of the xbox controller for mouse movement.

Vex_

Banned
I am a DUALSHOCK on PC connoisseur, and I can tell you: STOP USING MiJ.

Even wired, it will eventually fuck with your drivers. And yes, I stripped the ads out as well.

I am currently using DS4W on my PC and it is heaven, gentlemen.

SOLDIER

Both MiJ and SCP replace and screw with Bluetooth drivers, and both will only do so if you tell it to. My laptop's BT chip works with MiJ's driver (and SCP's driver), and when I'm done I roll back the driver and reboot the laptop.

Let's make some things clear. What controllers do you have?

DS4 and XB1 controllers are the ones I use primarily.

Awakened

Antimicro is the best free option I've found and it's also open source. It has an auto profile function like Xpadder which worked fine for me in Win10 when I used it for Remember 11.

AokiP2L.png

SOLDIER

On the subject I also haven't found a solution to the runtime error message I get whenever I connect my XB1 controller. This doesn't seem to prevent the controller from working, but I'd rather have that message eliminated.

You don't need to keep MIJ at all after you load the driver. The creator of BetterDS3 even says the actual driver is fine, it is the ds3 tool.exe that is terrible.

You can uninstall MIJ after loading the driver and everything still works with BetterDS3. I've been running that forever and haven't had any issues. MIJ is not on my computer at all, no trace of it minus the driver. I use my DS3 wired and never fudged around with the Bluetooth part of it all. Prefer it wired.

SOLDIER

I feel like some people are not reading when I say I don't need any programs for DS3. This is strictly for DS4 and XB1.

Odrion

Banned
The King + InputMapper

Do you still need to kill explorer.exe to get exclusivity mode to work? If that's the case, then fuck that go buy a Xbone controller. The Xbone's shoulder buttons work great now and it has much better battery life and analog sticks.

SOLDIER

I should also stress that I don't really need DS4 options in order to get the controller working. This is just a request for controller-remapping software like Xpadder but for my XB1 controller.

Still can't believe there doesn't seem to be a fix for the runtime error message I get when I turn on my XB1 controller.

Pinnacle Game Profiler was pretty good (better than Xpadder). There's a successor after Pinnacle Game Profiler called Padstarr which I haven't tried yet but supposedly better than PGP. Padstarr's 50% off right now ($4.99) and it comes with PGP for free. There's a trial for both if you want to try them before deciding.

hollams

Gold Member
I used Xpadder for a long time and had issues with win8. I switched to Controller companion and it is awesome. It's on steam for $3 and it beats Xpadder in every way. Many more helpful options and no bugs. Profile switching is seemless as it turns on when game starts and stops when the game ends. It can run without steam running as well. Give it a try I think you will like it.

Do you still need to kill explorer.exe to get exclusivity mode to work? If that's the case, then fuck that go buy a Xbone controller. The Xbone's shoulder buttons work great now and it has much better battery life and analog sticks.

The Windows 10 TH2 release (build 10586) fixed that particular bug for everybody. Before, it was already in one of the early Insider builds.

shockdude

I should also stress that I don't really need DS4 options in order to get the controller working. This is just a request for controller-remapping software like Xpadder but for my XB1 controller.

Still can't believe there doesn't seem to be a fix for the runtime error message I get when I turn on my XB1 controller.
Antimicro looks fancy, have you tried it?
As for the runtime error I have no idea. You have the latest Windows 10 updates, including that huge November update from last week?

lol at everyone angry at Motioninjoy.

Head.spawn

Tried stock PCSX2 last night with the Xbox One controller and setting it up was way more trouble than I thought it would be and I really couldn't get along with whatever that stock option was at all. I see a few options for PS4 pad here, any for Xbox One controllers?

hollams

Gold Member
Tried stock PCSX2 last night with the Xbox One controller and setting it up was way more trouble than I thought it would be and I really couldn't get along with whatever that stock option was at all. I see a few options for PS4 pad here, any for Xbox One controllers?

Controller Companion is for Xbox controllers and it's one of the best I've used, even has an overlay keyboard that works really well. $3 on Steam and well worth it, you don't have to have steam running to use it.

hollams

Gold Member
Have you tried it yet?

I'm wondering if it can support more than one controller at a time and has the same features as Xpadder (automatic opening and closing of profiles based on the programs you open up).

Yes it does support more than one controller at a time and it does switch to joystick mode automatically once a game is in fullscreen mode and then back to your desktop setup when the game ends.

Top Bottom