• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Couples in Videogames

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
183636-num_10.gif

hover hand?

Animekatt

Pikachu and Ash - Pokemon
560629-6518986_profile_mbox_backgro.jpg

Derek and Angie - Trauma Center
trauma_center_second_opinion_concep.jpg

Naomi and Little Guy - Trauma Team
naomi_little_guy_render_by_squallro.jpg

Stocke and Raynie - Radiant Historia
radiant-historia-stocke-raynie-marco-art.jpg

HioSb.png

Fang + Vanille, Final Fantasy XIII. It's not *canon* necessarily, but I honestly think there's enough subtext there to reasonably interpret their relationship as romantic, and that, *if* they are a couple, it's easily the most understated and best handled out of all the FF relationships.

Wait, this isn't canon?

Do they say it on FF XIII-2 or something? Cuz it was fairly obvious in XIII.

MormaPope

Banned
I can't tell the people that are joking from the people that are serious most of the time, also I see a fuck ton of Japanese couples from games I've never heard of nor are people posting titles.

I can't tell the people that are joking from the people that are serious most of the time, also I see a fuck ton of Japanese couples from games I've never heard of nor are people posting titles.

Not sure if you mean mine as well in this, but Master Higgins and Tina are from Adventure Island, and if you don't know that you should be ashamed of yourself.

Levyne

Banned

I see a ton of Japanese games that I do know with couples that I thought were ham-fisted and bad.

Vamphuntr

C'mon, Chris and Jill are hardly a couple. Partners? Sure. Platonic all the way. And anyways, we know which way Chris swings.

[IMG.]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb9a8bxO0L1rdagfgo1_500.gif[/IMG]

In RE Revelations it's really implied that Jill and Chris are a thing. Jessica keeps trying to hit on Chris and keeps failing and complains to Parker about it. He tells her that it's because Chris's already taken and you see a shot of Jill and Chris talking.

mantidor

Next closest choice after Master Higgins and Tina would be Ryu and Nina from Breath of Fire 3. Since the game takes place over 2 time periods, you get to see it evolve throughout the game, but you don't really get a conclusion to it.

MormaPope

Banned
Not sure if you mean mine as well in this, but Master Higgins and Tina are from Adventure Island, and if you don't know that you should be ashamed of yourself.

No, not you specifically. You gave character names and a series name, a lot of people posted a screen of two random people hugging or kneeling next to each other and didn't give any info. I sorta did the same thing but it's easy to recognize the couples posted.

Also I have a feeling a lot of these couples and their dynamics are pretty bad.

I see a ton of Japanese games that I do know with couples that I thought were ham-fisted and bad.

I get that feeling too.

Roto13

No, not you specifically. You gave character names and a series name, a lot of people posted a screen of two random people hugging or kneeling next to each other and didn't give any info. I sorta did the same thing but it's easy to recognize the couples posted.

That's a pretty dumb double standard. I have no idea who the first couple you posted are and I only assumed the second couple was from RDR because of their clothes.

MormaPope

Banned
That's a pretty dumb double standard. I have no idea who the first couple you posted are and I only assumed the second couple was from RDR because of their clothes.

I'd say it's easier to recognize character designs from Western games vs. Japanese games, and the first couple was from Dead Space. There's probably 100 or more posts with Japanese couples, I've played a shit ton of Japanese games but I still have no clue where these characters came from.

Westraid

I suppose it's more wishful thinking, but still..

hotel-dusk-kyle-hyde-rachel-japanese.jpg

Kyle Hyde and Rachel from Hotel Dusk and Last Window.

And Squall and Rinoa. My god I'll never get over how cute that dance was.

Wait, this isn't canon?

Do they say it on FF XIII-2 or something? Cuz it was fairly obvious in XIII.
Nah, there's nothing that *officially* confirms it. Fans seem pretty well split between "romantic couple" and "super close sisters" when it comes to their relationship and IIRC Fang's English VA said that she felt that the script deliberately left it open to interpretation.

I suppose it's more wishful thinking, but still..

hotel-dusk-kyle-hyde-rachel-japanese.jpg

Kyle Hyde and Rachel from Hotel Dusk and Last Window.
You are not alone in your wishful thinking!

Terra_Ex

Damn this thread is like a throwback to the glory days of jrpgs (at least for me.) Tough call, but I'd probably go with these two from Tales of the Abyss - Luke & Tear. Played this through a few times, enjoyed it immensely each time and the constant squabbling between them never fails to amuse me.

Justin & Feena of Grandia were pretty awesome for the time, nice to see it mentioned here already. I remember facepalming at Justin's stupidity when the mermaid interrupted this little scene: I might feel differently playing it through again over a decade later, mind.

Alex & Luna also get a notable mention from Lunar 1 as do Xeno's Fei & Elly. Shulk & Fiora from Xenoblade was quite well done too considering everything that happens to her. Nowadays though I'd say that Geralt & Triss from Witcher 2 fit my gaming sensibilities.

Toriyama x Lighting is a better couple.
It's canon too :)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Seeing as how open "couple" is in the topic, and to not pick one already chosen, or at least that I noticed.

Balthier-Fran-balthier-from-final-fantasy-xii-25097312-422-317.jpg

Almond

From Baten Kaitos Origins, this trio. Milly, Sagi, Guillo.

RFgMO.jpg

Probably my favorite, Fei and Elly from Xenogears.

xenogears-lacan-2.jpg

Top Bottom