• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Crime/Cop TV Drama

Best Crime/Cop TV Drama

• Justified

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Narcos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Breaking Bad

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • The Wire

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Better Call Saul

• The Shield

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • True Detective

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Dexter

• Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So, let’s settle it. What’s the best crime/cop drama in recent years? The kind of show that tells the story from both sides of the law.

Pick your top 3 if you want. But which one is the best and why? Am I missing any gems?

Limitless tv show kept me hooked. It was a show about this guy who finds this wonder drug that unlocks full power of the brain and makes him smarter than anyone. He ends up working with the cops solving crime cases. Even though the drug is illegal the feds give him the drug so he can be a super cop. He uses his intelligence to solve his dads mystery illness that the doctors couldn't solve.

Pretty good show based on the Limitless movie with Bradley Cooper. Sadly got canceled after a season. I found it on Netflix.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Shield. Rewatched it recently, its phenomenal.

Not a single bad episode in the entire run, and if you can grab the complete series box-set, it also has a ton of extras which are not only informative but highly entertaining. Worth dusting off the DVD player for.

Justified is also great, but it is a bit less consistent (the first season they really were figuring it out as they went along), and for me consistency is king. If the entirety of True Detective was as strong as the first season it'd be up there, but, well the second season sucks, and the third season is decent but nowhere near as engaging as the first.

Last edited:

Phase

Brooklyn 99

giphy.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Voted the Wire because of course and it bordered on documentary (minus the last season) making it all the more poignant. The second best cop/crime show of all time is a much more difficult debate.

Nico_D

The Shield
The Cracker (UK)
The Wire
Miami Vice is still pretty good.

Edit: oh, True Detective S1 - of course

Last edited:
Saw Justified up top and got trigger happy, but The Wire was probably a better show. For a different take that isn't listed, don't miss Banshee. Man that show was fucking awesome.

Kronic_Despair

Neo Member
The Wire is phenomenal and is neck and neck with The Shield for me. But if I had to choose it would be The Shield; I still remember watching the final episode of the series and just sitting there for about 5 minutes staring at a black screen just processing the end of the show, only a small handful of shows ever made me feel some kind of loss when it was over. Shout out to Justified for having some of the best writing of any show ever and Margo Martindale's performance is something to behold in season 2.

Love NYPD Blue when I was younger.

The Shield gets my vote, excellent show. Walt Goggins is a masterclass in acting.

Ronnie is a pimp.

I loved S2 of The Wire. I wish they continued that anthology type of path but they reverted to business as usual with S3 again, weird.

Top Bottom