• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout TV Series Creator Says Pleasing Fans Is A ‘Fool’s Errand’

MiguelItUp

You're never gonna please everyone no; at least he seems to be really invested in the source material.
Yeah, I'm wondering if that's more so what he's alluding to. The more loved an IP is, the more people are protective of it, the more likely a lot of those fans just wouldn't be happy no matter what.

That's where I'm at. Regardless of what the outcome is, it LOOKS like Fallout 3/4 which is a huge plus considering how many adaptations out there don't even pull that off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He's not wrong, strict adherence to the source material doesn't always lead to the best adaptations.

The Last of Us's best episode was the one where they completely shifted away from the game.

It should not necessarily alienate a majority of an existing fanbase, that just makes bad press, but like any adaption it has to follow other rules. Books in movie form have to omit some characters and entire plotlines while maybe adding stuff to glue it back together in a shorter more focused experience. A book cconverted to a show though usually can follow the original path much closer. Games though, due to their inherent active participation are an entire different piece of media even if run length can be packed similar, a TV show still must try to be a good TV show not absolutely trying to be a version of something already existing and being almost as worthless as the Psycho remake was.

With entitled whiny gamers, maybe actually believing that a dozen games for a few bucks a month are truly garbage, their vocal feedback is today more than ever anyway rather useless. If they don't watch your show though and no one else is either, your own idea of what it needs to be, maybe wasn't that great and not the result of toxic something something.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Last of us hbo gained fans I think people realized that.
Pedro Pascal Yes GIF by HBO

Top Bottom