• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Desktop Browser?

Darkwater

It's fast because all incompatible add-ons get turned off 😂😂

On FF 57? Not gonna lie, it did disable Greasemonkey, Wikiwand, HTTPS Everywhere and Lastpass. Privacy Badger, Reddit Enhancement Suite and uBlock Origin are compatible. So you do have some kind of a point. On the other hand, I've also run stock 56 and stock 57, and you can notice the speed difference there all the same.

yes gaf is whitelisted shut up

Quantum is amazing.

I was about to swap over to another browser due to how buggy and slow 56 was, but this is just perfect for what I need.

It's fast because all incompatible add-ons get turned off 😂😂

All ten of my extensions I had installed in FF55 have WebExt versions 😂😂

On FF 57? Not gonna lie, it did disable Greasemonkey, Wikiwand, HTTPS Everywhere and Lastpass. Privacy Badger, Reddit Enhancement Suite and uBlock Origin are compatible. So you do have some kind of a point. On the other hand, I've also run stock 56 and stock 57, and you can notice the speed difference there all the same.

yes gaf is whitelisted shut up

Violentmonkey is an open source and compatible alternative to Greasemonkey. The WebExt version of HTTPS Everywhere is available on their site https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Rootbeer

Banned
For me it's still chrome due to the wealth of addons.

Quantum pretty much reset all Firefox addons fresh, you can't use old stuff on it. So until there is a catch-up and its extension catalog starts to mature again, I can't see myself using it full-time... but it's a very strong contender going forward.

Lastpass in particular is essential so I hope they get that updated soon. XMarks too.

For me it's still chrome due to the wealth of addons.

Quantum pretty much reset all Firefox addons fresh, you can't use old stuff on it. So until there is a catch-up and its extension catalog starts to mature again, I can't see myself using it full-time... but it's a very strong contender going forward.

Lastpass in particular is essential so I hope they get that updated soon. XMarks too.

You can. All the compatible extensions have a way to migrate your settings to the new extension format (it is either automatic or you just have to click a few buttons).

As soon as Brave has a way to sync passwords, and has ChromeIPass plug-in compatibility, I'll probably switch to that. I might have to try the new Firefox.

I want ot like Firefox, and have even tried to switch a few times from Chrome, but it's just so gd slow in comparison. That reason, and that reason alone is why I feel like I'm stuck with Chrome.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Chrome and Firefox are the worst these days

Firefox nightly and Edge are bae

Darkwater

D3RANG3D

FF Nightly/Dev Edition, but now that they shitbinned legacy addon support it's kinda pointless to use FF over Chrome now.

I like the ad and pop-up blocking in Firefox, but it's been really crashy for me the last few months and video playback has always been sketchy. Sites like Giant Bomb always flicker between high and medium quality.

Chrome fixes the crashing problems I have with Firefox and has much better video playback. I also like that passwords and bookmarks carry across to mobile. I've been slowly transferring over to using Chrome more often until I might phase out Firefox entirely.

ty_hot

Regarding the search, on Chrome you can just start writting Ebay and press TAB, then it will search in eBay instead of Google.

I press ''e' 'b' 'tab' and it enters 'search ebay mode'. much better than a different search bar.

Ta, I'll give it a go. If that works then Opera is totally my recommendation for not having to faff with anything.

The only negative I've found about disabling hardware acceleration in browsers is a video streaming service trying to render 4k video can cause choppy playback on my Desktop.

Regarding the search, on Chrome you can just start writting Ebay and press TAB, then it will search in eBay instead of Google.

I press ''e' 'b' 'tab' and it enters 'search ebay mode'. much better than a different search bar.

Firefox also has this search mode but instead of pressing tab you just type your chosen keyword followed by your request. You can configure your keywords manually for any website that has a search feature.

For example when I want to search Youtube for the Justice League trailer I just type yt justice league trailer in the address bar.

erawsd

Decided to give Quantum a shot after reading this thread. Its been years since I used firefox but it seems fine so far. One thing I don't like vs Chrome is the way it displays fonts. Even though they both appear to be using the same fonts, chrome is displaying them with a very slight boldness that I prefer.

Future

How about good HTPC browsers?

Still trying to figure out a way to give my Mac mini an interface that brings me to Netflix, Hulu, amazon, etc without me having to type on a keyboard or mouse around tiny monitor designed interface

LordAmused

anyone try Vivaldi?

Been using it for a couple years now. Hands down the best browser I've ever had installed. It's customization really is what sets it apart. Plus it's Chromium based and running like a dream.
If you download it and have a 64bit system, use the 64bit, it might not be exactly clear on their website which version you are downloading.

Occam

Firefox Quantumn is amazing!

Indeed it is!

-

Also, the idea behind AdNauseam is great.

"AdNauseam is a browser extension designed to obfuscate browsing data and protect users from tracking by advertising networks. Like an ad-blocker, AdNauseam blocks malware and hides ads on the pages you visit. But AdNauseam does more, collecting each ad in its AdVault for you to interactively explore. AdNauseam can also be configured to automatically click each blocked ad in the background, polluting your data profile and frustrating the trackers who violate your privacy and facilitate bulk-surveillance agendas."

How about good HTPC browsers?

Still trying to figure out a way to give my Mac mini an interface that brings me to Netflix, Hulu, amazon, etc without me having to type on a keyboard or mouse around tiny monitor designed interface

I'm not super familiar with Mac Mini, but does it have a regular OSX desktop? Why not just drag the bookmarks out onto the desktop?

Alebelly

Been using it for a couple years now. Hands down the best browser I've ever had installed. It's customization really is what sets it apart. Plus it's Chromium based and running like a dream.
If you download it and have a 64bit system, use the 64bit, it might not be exactly clear on their website which version you are downloading.

Thanks!

Fergie

Banned
Opera.

Used Chrome for a while and then Firefox and they get very bloated quickly.

Although Opera is somewhat based on Chromium under the hood, it keeps its speed and responsiveness for me for about 6 months now.

Top Bottom