• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best First Bosses

Mista Koo

The ones I can think of were already posted.

All the best ones have been mentioned but I always liked Hooktail from TTYD. I know there are mini-bosses before that point but I always considered Hooktail to be the first proper boss.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Paper-mario-thousand-year-door-1.jpg

Always liked how it tried to trick you halfway through the battle too, pretty unique.
I like how I googled Hooktail to post her and it lead me to your post xD

http://gamingmemoirs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Sonic-2-Emerald-Hill-Zone-Boss.gif
This one will always be nostalgic for me, because Sonic 2 was probably the first videogame I ever played.
The original also had a classic first boss:

JIxjr1j.png

Junahu

Nah, at that point Sloprano is still closed to you. Once you reach the poo shack you find out that it doesn't open until 10 AM. After you open up the barn Conker will pull out his watch and remark that it is now 10AM letting you choose whether to continue what you're currently doing or going back to check out Sloprano.
You're right. I'm ashamed of myself for not remembering that.

Zakard

mgs2_55_637.jpg

I would say he is the "real" first boss in Metal Gear Solid 2. Olga was on the Tanker mission and Fortune can hardly be counted as first boss fight in my opinion. I thought Fatman was a great boss. Very stresful because of the bombs and his quickness.

dcx4610

First boss of Shadow of the Colossus for sure but here's a untypical pick that left a lasting impression...

Kid_Niki_stage1_boss.png

The boss was big by NES standards, had an interesting fight mechanic by blowing you across the screen and...voice! It was still rare to hear back then so it definitely stood out.

Soul Reaver. Pretty fun finding out how to damage him.
rXmWKhS.jpg

Agreed on Luigi's Mansion 2 and Ninja Gaiden.

MGR has the style, but the actual boss fight? No... just no. Mashing buttons when two glowing spots eventually appear on the ground. Good stuff actually only comes after that gif.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All of my picks have been mentioned already, so I guess I'll go with this guy from Mega Man X4.

CP69H.png

You fight him in part 1, where he's attacking the highway. You can either "kill" him or run, but he comes back in part 2 for a proper battle. The fight itself is nothing spectacular, but I like how it was set up. He also looks really cool, and was perfect for showing what a leap it was from SNES to PSX in terms of what these games could do with their bosses, graphically.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Whether you count Cleric Beast of Father Geezy as the first boss of Bloodborne, either way you up for one hell of an epic first boss fight.

He's not the first boss, or the second, or the third. lol

He sure is the first Immagonanfuckyouup boss in Nocturne though, hahaha.

In fact, all the Fiend encounters in Nocturne are amazing, Trumpeteer being my favorite due to how you must cleverly make use of his pattern.

this really is God of War: The Thread

SSM has it nailed down to a work of art and i wholeheartedly know GOW4 will continue that tradition

Kindekuma

Banned
Parasite Queen is a pretty cool first boss fight.

Easy as heck but I remember as a kid being freaked out by the scream noise it made when it fired that laser. Also when it falls into the generator and causes the self destruct sequence and you needed to escape was just so damn cool.

latest

spliced

Dark Souls

Assylum Demo Because the first encounter is so shocking because you can't hardly do anything to it, then you meet it a few minutes later and something hilarious or epic happens depending on what you do
(plunging attack hit/miss or it knocks your slow arse off the perch).

The first Black Knight is kinda like a mini boss that really tests your limits but gives you a lot of freedom at the same time.

The other enemy you could consider the first mini boss is Havel. He makes a big impression on you...Like a dent.

Qvoth

cleric beast of BB i think is a pretty good 1st boss, it and gehrmann's theme being my favorite definitely helps

Either hunting the ocelot unit in snake eater (if you count that, I certainly do) or if not the first boss battle proper with ocelot where you're separated by the gorge. Like most metal gear boss fights there are a million details which can go unnoticed but almost all of them pertain to something that gives you an advantage. For example:

There are three beehives hanging from trees throughout the level. No matter
where Ocelot is when you shoot them down, the bees will chase him and stop him
from shooting, this is another great opportunity to shoot him. If you shoot
off his hat, he will go and pick it up, shoot him when he does this.

Second, if you look to the left of the large tree in the middle (on Ocelot's
side) there will be a goat eating there. If you shoot it, one of the soldiers
will say, "What was that? Show some respect!" and Ocelot might yell, "Son of a
bitch!". Some of the dialogue during this fight will be different based on
your actions.

You can also toss grenades over there near Ocelot. He will try his best to
avoid them, so when he tries to roll out of the way, you can probably get a
shot off while he is distracted.

The best advantage though, is when he has to reload. After the first mini-
cutscene where Ocelot says "You won't get away from me!!" (this happens after
he uses all of the ammo from his first gun) there will be a second mini-
cutscene after he uses all of the ammo from his second gun. The cool part
about the cut-scenes though, is that you can skip them, but still hear what he
says. So instead of watching him reload, press X and shoot him while he is
still talking! This is where you will get most of your hits from, is when he
is reloading. If you shoot him once while he is reloading both guns, he will
run all the way to the big tree in the middle. If he is far away from it
though, you can shoot him a whole bunch of times before he gets there! If you
are low on health though, this is a good time to hide and crouch to gain some
of it back before he is done reloading.

When you get his health pretty low, the soldiers will open fire again, but it
will not last long, so ignore them. Pretty soon, using all of these
strategies, Ocelot should be easily and quickly defeated.

It's easily one of my favorites if not THE favorite.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Poseidon from GoWIII is the automatic winner as it just sets the tone of the game as it's gonna be a wild ride. Coolest intro to the first boss definitely has to be Father G though. Man goes ham from the start and you know the game is only going to get harder from here.

iYixcZy58NTgj.gif

i6uHSEoM7mrOw.gif

Diekuu Ohrowchee from The Wonderful 101. There's just so much shit thrown at you in this fight, and I think the best thing about it is that it's a fight comprised of all the basics that you've learned in the first few levels of the game. Platinum sets the bar high with a huge boss like this, and the ones that come afrt Ohrowchee don't dissappoint.

Afrikan

This doesn't surrpise me in the slightest. The technical merits and sophistication of design in this particular boss, are still unmatched to this day imo. It's even more impressive than Uncharted's collapsing building or moving train imo. You're literally fighting on different parts of a one kilometre tall Titan, whilst at the same time fighting bosses and other enemies, going huge distances from one limb to another instantaneously, upside down, sideways on, vertical, all the while the Titan is climbing up a giant mountain, with a boss infusing itself through and out of different parts of it's body, which in itself is transforming, constantly moving around and shifting.

I've been trying to hold back from getting the remaster, your post is not helping one bit...lol.

There is so much in that game I'd like to experience again...but hopefully they are still working on the visuals until release. I wasn't too impressed with the trailer. But that probebly has more to do with how AMAZING GOW3 already looked.

Godcannon

I gave this game up for a week because this guy, went back and it became my favorite game of all time. Curious how many people did the same thing.
Final-Fantasy-VII-Limit-Break.jpg

Azuran

Banned
Ghirahim because it's the moment when Skyward Sword stops being playing nice and forces you to adapt to the new controls or accept that you'll probably suck at the game.

Spacejaws

Cloud_Suggestion.jpg

I was young back then and when I heard the boss theme for the first time while fighting this thing, it blew my mind away (had that feeling also with that first boss on FFVI with his "dont attack when its inside the shell")

I was gonna post this one. The battle theme, the inevitable limit breaks and the cool design all had me stunned as a kid. I still enjoy this battle every replay.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought this was cool coz it was transitionless:

Manasvin_Warmech.jpg

Top Bottom