• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best First Level Music

Tawpgun

Not the exact first song of the game. I can't find that one.

But this is the song that plays when you actually get past the tutorial/intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU9EFTMhbY

Super easy choice. Bastion has some of the best music I've ever heard for a video game. Only Halo OST's, Red Dead songs, and Bastion OST have graced my Ipod.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Already been mentioned a few times, but it absolutely has to be Streets of Rage 2.

Sonic 2, Bayonetta, and Doom are all great picks too though.

Gisk

Banned
Cheating a little here with a title theme, but Tim Follin is a genius, and
his work really goes under appreciated in the chiptune community.

This tune is from Solstice.
qftGv.jpg

Its like if Rush was sent back to the 15th century to play rock for King Arthur
(Yes it is that awesome): Solstice (NES) - Title Theme

Another good (and also not as well known) game with great music is Comix Zone.
NoHbI.gif

Its made by Sega Technical Institute, and it really uses the full power of the Genesis.
There's lots of guitar riffs and it has a nice punk rock sound: Comix Zone - Night of the Mutants

Sega also sponsored a cover of some of the songs in the game under their 'Sega Tunes' label.
They're actually quite good, have a listen: -Into The Zone- Roadkill

Hmm, several good choices have already been made. Let me just chip in with a few...

"Return" from Radiant Silvergun. Always loved the triumphant march theme it has going on, with the main characters trying to make a quick run to Earth to get some more supplies to survive on, without being noticed ideally. Perfectly juxtaposed with just how much worse things get pretty much from the onset, which is similarly reflected in the music getting much moodier from then on - outside of maybe "Evasion".

"Flight" from Panzer Dragoon. I'm pretty sure Sega wanted to outright wow people with the Saturn, so having a full-blown orchestral piece serve as the backing to the surreal sunken city landscape (complete with impressive-in-1994 water effects to seal the deal) was a great choice. Unfortunately, it must've been somewhat prohibitively expensive to use that orchestra, because they only did two other tunes in the game (the title theme and the credits theme), but what was done still holds up quite well today. Comparatively, Zwei's ("Destiny Begins") is a bit too erratic and shrill, although Saga's ("A Premonition of War") is a pretty good tune for coming to grips with the dragon's overworld controls, featuring the credits theme for the first time.

"To the Gateway" from Super Mario Galaxy. Okay, I know somebody in here said it was "Good Egg Galaxy", and that's certainly the first main level, but this is the first level that actually introduces you to the weird mechanics Galaxy uses, and I'll be perfectly honest - just listening to it gives me an overpowering nostalgic feeling that often makes me teary-eyed. If that's not a good composition, I don't know what is.

"Reincarnated Soul" from Castlevania Bloodlines. For a series well-known for excellent music, this certainly doesn't disappoint, immediately bursting through the door with this energetic piece. Probably a bit more obscure than any of the numbered entries or Rondo of Blood, admittedly, although it got an excellent remix in Rebirth (not sure why they didn't use "Battle of the Holy", but I like "Reincarnated Soul" a bit more so I'm not complaining - "Battle of the Holy" would've been better off used in Stage 6 instead of yet another remix of "Vampire Killer", anyway).

"Terraport"/"Bamboo Mill" from Vectorman. Vectorman has a pretty great soundtrack filled with fairly subdued techno, and this is arguably the best track in the game (I think I prefer "Tidal Surge", though). Always good to start with your best foot forward.

There, five more selections. Although the clear winner here is "Go Straight", of course.

Oh, right, I knew I was forgetting something in my list.

"King of Speed". Don't lie, you very likely played Three Seven Speedway your first time instead of Dinosaur Canyon or Seaside Street Galaxy. And you're immediately introduced to goofy singing that's so embarrassing as to be utterly endearing. "Roooorriiiiing Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaht..."

Wonko_C

Cybernator: This game actually got a PS2 re-release, but I still prefer the Snes version music.

By the same developers who made Cybernator: Prince of Persia, this was the first version of PoP I've ever played and I consider it the best.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, got my blood pumping, too bad the rest of the game was underwhelming.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness Every time I hear that song it makes me want to play the game again.

Shooting Games have TONS of great first stage music:

Psyvariar 2

DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou

Darius Burst

R-Type Delta

Thunderforce V

Top Bottom