• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "first" Pokemon game for a child?

you can legit get a Mew in Yellow so go with Yellow
to this day i still have no idea how that glitch got in
your son will be a god among his peers

Mr-Joker

Banned
you can legit get a Mew in Yellow so go with Yellow
to this day i still have no idea how that glitch got in
your son will be a god among his peers

Not only did you suggest the wrong game but you also got the kid gender wrong. <(>_<)>

First reply is correct.

Nope it's wrong.

It's always better to suggest newcomers to go with the latest version and if they like the games then they can go backward.

There is no reason for a new comer to play the past games in the series other than nostalgia, something that they don't have.

pbsapeer

Banned
first reply correct. heartgold is amazing. it's no pokemon blue, but its so much fun.
also maybe omega ruby as thats a good version!

entremet

Rule of thumb when introducing a newcomer into the Pokémon series is always suggest the latest game and not let your nostalgia blind you.

There is no real reason to go backward in the Pokémon series other than curiosity.

OP I echo the recommendation of Pokémon X and Y, they have the gen 1 Pokémon plus more, furthermore they are very beginner friendly and are currently still being supported so she can trade and battle with other trainers.

Only go backward once she has finished it and wants more.
This is always the best answer.

You should save this post use for every time these threads comes up lol.

The social element of Pokemon is too important.

Give her XY, and if she gets into it, try ORAS afterwards.

I wouldn't give her a Gameboy game unless she really wants to try it.

I tried getting my niece to play the original Gameboy games. She asked me why I was making her play "old people games."

Give her ORAS or XY. Kids want the latest and greatest. Every gen plays exactly the same anyway, but the graphics make a difference in keeping their attention.

entremet

I tried getting my niece to play the original Gameboy games. She asked me why I was making her play "old people games."

Give her ORAS or XY. Kids want the latest and greatest. Every gen plays exactly the same anyway, but the graphics make a difference in keeping their attention.

lol exactly.

Stop projecting your nostalgia on to your kids!

GamerJM

Banned
All pokemon games are beginner friendly, why even suggest old games just for nostalgia?

Get XY/ORAS, the one thing a child would not appreciate growing up is getting outdated stuff.

The reason you could suggest the outdated games is because then they can play more games if they play the series in order. If I was a kid and I had six generations of Pokemon games to play through my mind would have been blown.

Nope it's wrong.

It's always better to suggest newcomers to go with the latest version and if they like the games then they can go backward.

There is no reason for a new comer to play the past games in the series other than nostalgia, something that they don't have.

While I generally agree with this sentiment, I think HG/SS and BW2 are pretty decent secondary recommendations if only for the sheer density of content available. (And something that Gen VI dropped the ball on massively)

Videoneon

Just get the newer ones, ORAS or XY. You have access to older Pokemon. XY hand you a Kanto starter and access to Pikachu fairly early.

All this Gen 1 fascination is dumb anyway

i suggested yellow because its better to get mew now instead of her going fuck how do i get mew when she plays XY or ORAS
i know i as a kid was obsessed with collecting legendaries
also if your dead set on a current gen Pokemon then ORAS
it has more content and you can get previous legends

FrsDvl

I know a few kids that love pokemon games, and most of them enjoy the older games a lot more than the new ones.

Whatever you start them off with, you'll end up getting them all. I suggest X/Y or ORAS though, cause the old games are way more expensive (here they are anyways). And you don't want to pay almost double of the 3Ds games, incase she doesn't like it as much.

TheOGB

Banned
Pretty sure OP's already going with XY (a good choice) but the answer for this question is always the newest ones tbh
or the poster's most recent favorite

X/Y and here's why.

-Really, any pokemon is beginner friendly but X/Y are very straight forward.

-Go for the 3D games, they just look better and will be more visually appealing to a fan of the cartoons.

-She's a little girl and you can shop for clothes in X/Y.

Syntsui

X or Y. Simply forget the previous ones exist, you either were there for them or not. Keep going on with the current generation.

Balb

The idea of gen 1 only being good if you're wearing rose-tinted glasses is ridiculous. I see that sentiment a lot here. I've played through all generations of Pokemon a ton and gen 1 is still a damn fine generation. Maybe not for a kid's first game, as they aren't tuned to old Game Boy graphics but yeah.

All this Gen 1 fascination is dumb anyway

Like every generation before us, nostalgia feeds a lot of the opinions we have about something. Like how music was better 10 years ago to how color TV ruined TV, everyone is biased towards that they grew up to.

Pokemon was "better" during gen 1 because that was the first, the one that charmed us when we were young and the one that made us like it enough to follow it for almost two decades, so of course most would deem it as the "best".

harmonize

It's just kinda hilarious seeing people recommending old games to a 7-year old that's probably interested in the newer stuff like pretty much every kid out there. Even if her favorites are not in the newer games, she still has over 500 unique monsters to choose from.

cYx8HXp.png

LOL some of the responses in this thread are so ridiculous. I'm trying to imagine the conversation OP would have with his kid if he took advice from some of you.

"But dad, I want to play with Pikachu and Squirtle and fight Brock like in the cartoon."

"Take off the nostalgia goggles, those games are unplayable by modern sensibilities! You'll start with only the newest games, and I'm releasing any of your first gen favorites that you catch until you learn to love all Pokemon equally and appreciate the undeniable refinements the newer games have brought to the battle system."

nubbe

cYx8HXp.png

LOL some of the responses in this thread are so ridiculous. I'm trying to imagine the conversation OP would have with his kid if he took advice from some of you.

"But dad, I want to play with Pikachu and Squirtle and fight Brock like in the cartoon."

"Take off the nostalgia goggles, those games are unplayable by modern sensibilities! You'll start with only the newest games, and I'm releasing any of your first gen favorites that you catch until you learn to love all Pokemon equally and appreciate the undeniable refinements the newer games have brought to the battle system."

The cartoon is in generation XY
who the fuck is Brock and Squirtle?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with red?
It's totally outdated and not worth playing for a 7 years old who doesn't have nostalgia for these games. The newer games are way better in every single aspect, not to mention the 5x bigger Pokedex in gen 6. I love gen 1 and grew up playing it with a friend, but there's really no reason to recommend it as someone's first Pokemon game nowadays.

The reason you could suggest the outdated games is because then they can play more games if they play the series in order. If I was a kid and I had six generations of Pokemon games to play through my mind would have been blown.
Those old games aren't going away if you start with the newer ones, though. You're probably saying that someone who has played Y or Alpha Sapphire wouldn't want to go back to Blue. That's probably true, which is an even bigger argument for skipping the old, outdated games and start with the newer, mechanically better ones.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
cYx8HXp.png

Wasn't that like 15 years ago? The only series my kids have seen is the one on Disney XD (Black and White I think)

woopWOOP

Just get the latest. X/Y allows self customisation which kids tend to enjoy and has an easier overworld compared to ORAS tho.
The fights being in 3D is probably more entertaining for them to watch too compared to pre-gen6.

X and Y easily because:

- Has lots of 1st Gen Pokemon
- LOTS of different variety of Pokemon at the start compared to others
- 3D animated Pokemon makes fights more "cinematic" that's enjoyable for Kids
- Customizable character with a big variety of outfits, etc which kids love

Played all Gens and while the others are great and still deserve play time, X and Y is like the perfect start for beginners in general. Even though ORAS is "newer", I still recommend X/Y since the start of ORAS doesn't have that good variety of Pokemon types and also because Pikachu can be found near the beginning.

Vice

Which every one she thinks has a cool cover. All the current games, XY and ORAS, play very siimilary and really what matters most is that she gets a version she wants. Don't bother going backward in the series unless she wants to.

Nightbird

Buy her X/Y

She will love too have Pokemon who look like in the Series, also, I think she might enjoy dressing up her Character and everything.

Honestly, it's the best choice. Begin with X/Y, and from there on in Order of release :)

XY, it has the best treatment of Gen I "anime mons", like Pikachu and the starters, since the GBA remakes of Gen I.
For a child?
Mystery dungeon or rumble
I found the Mystery Dungeon games, the ones I played on the DS at least, to be a bit harder than the mainline games.

Fucking Zapdos.

Fucking Rayquaza.

Fucking
Primal Dialga

cYx8HXp.png

Pikachu is in pretty much the exact same location relative to the starting point in xy as it was in red/blue. You get to pick a gen 1 starter for free early in xy. XY has several legendaries from the gen 1 games.

It'd be a solid argument if the current gen games were black and white, but XY busted its butt to have as many of the popular old pokemon floating around readily accessible as it possibly could.

Neiteio

Definitely X/Y. Anyone who names an earlier entry is speaking out of nostalgia. X/Y has the best presentation, the most streamlined interface and learning curve, the most tools to assist the player. It also has the most Pokemon per capita. It's the best Pokemon game I've played, and the first one in which I've gone so far as to IV/EV train perfect teams and play competitively. (Full disclosure: Still have to try Alpha Sapphire &#8212; picked it up but haven't started yet)

Seiniyta

The only reason why you would start with an older entry first is because you won't be bothered too much by the improvements the sequels make. I mean, I love heartgold, but after they changed the text speed, it's a bit jarring to go back.

If you let them start with the older titles it won't bother them since they haven't experienced the improved stuff.

That's just how I'd do it though.

Top Bottom