• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best FREE Desktop Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Hey guys. I want to replace Winamp 5 Pro with another music player. I don't really have the need for a build-in library in the software since I'm using the Library of Windows 7. Songbird and foobar2000 apart, I would be glad to hear some of your recommandations.

Schrade said:
If you mean Virtual Desktops (the feature that's been in Unix windows managers for ages) it's been available for Windows for a long as time as well.

Here's just one: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

If you want more just search for "Virtual Desktop Windows" or something similar.

Hell, Microsoft even has a PowerToy for it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

"Virtual Desktop Manager" on that page.

Yea, I asked because a google search revealed that virtuawin isn't that great (which I agree with after playing with it). The PowerToy doesn't work for Windows 7.

Anyone know of a really good one?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
prodystopian said:
Yea, I asked because a google search revealed that virtuawin isn't that great (which I agree with after playing with it). The PowerToy doesn't work for Windows 7.

Anyone know of a really good one?
Hrm here are some others, I tried Dexpot once, but I can't remmber it well.

http://www.dexpot.de/index.php?lang=en
http://www.codeplex.com/vdm
http://virt-dimension.sourceforge.net/

Those are pretty much it. Maybe some more info at wiki.

maliedoo said:
nobody mentioned SANDBOXIE ?
I never actually found this useful.

jiien

Spasm said:
Ohyeah, that reminds me. You should check out Jing. It's by the same guys who make Camtasia, but it's a lot more lightweight. It's multiplatform. You can capture pictures (add arrows, notations), or audio/video (SWF is free, MP4 you gotta pay for), and can even automatically save/upload all your captures to FTP, popular video sites, etc.

Digsby. I got it from someone here in another thread. It's a multi-messenger, like Trillian, but isn't so old and dusty.

Freaking awesome, thanks man. Needed a good reason to toss Pidgin, and this is it.

Alternatively, Miranda IM is a great, completely customizable/powerful client, but is not for the non-technologically savvy, or casual computer users. It takes a bit of work to personalize and harness all that power.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
WickedAngel said:
I'm kind of wondering what the point of that is as well...I don't install something unless I'm sure it is legit.
It is, but I don't really find much user for it. The idea is that whatever you do with the program that you're using won't affect anything else on your PC. However, I don't really find much use for it since I don't use IE, and have a good anti-virus.

jiien said:
Freaking awesome, thanks man. Needed a good reason to toss Pidgin, and this is it.
Alternatively, Miranda IM is a great, completely customizable/powerful client, but is not for the non-technologically savvy, or casual computer users. It takes a bit of work to personalize and harness all that power.
Not sure if it still goes on, but Digsby has been know to be paired with spyware; however this download from their site doesn't: http://update.digsby.com/install/digsby_setup.exe (for one reason or another accoding to this site).

Jake.

sorry for an old bump, but i'm after a free animated GIF editor that isn't a trial version. are there any good ones?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Jake. said:
sorry for an old bump, but i'm after a free animated GIF editor that isn't a trial version. are there any good ones?
I know The Gimp can make animated gifs. I haven't tried it, but there are video guides on youtube for it.

Boonoo

czartim said:
Looking for a free Frontpage or DreamWeaver-esk alternative. Any suggestions?

Go hardcore with Notepad++

It's takes a bit to get used to working outside of Dreamweaver (and whatnot), but once you do it's real nice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bumping this to ask if there's a recommended program for reformating a harddrive. Not the on my windows installation is on, but a separate one.

Thanks.

Power Menu, a nice little application for Windows that allows you to set stuff like Opacity of a window, process priority and most importantly Always On Top, a feature which Windows still inexplicably lacks.

http://www.abstractpath.com/powermenu/

Also: Rainmeter, displays various stuff on your desktop in a stylish way. (a bit like widgets but highly customizable)

Dropbox, file syncing with 2GB of space for free

jEdit: Text editor for programming, written in Java, therefore cross-platform. Lots of nice addons available.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Divvy said:
Bumping this to ask if there's a recommended program for reformating a harddrive. Not the on my windows installation is on, but a separate one.

Thanks.

Windows does have the ability to format a hard drive. Unless you want to do something else? Just right click on it and hit format.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
evlcookie said:
Windows does have the ability to format a hard drive. Unless you want to do something else? Just right click on it and hit format.

Ah I had heard there were better ways to do it I think. Not sure, but I might as well just do it the normal way.

njean777

Bananakin said:
I got this from one of the many previous GAF free software threads, but in case anyone missed it:

Katmouse

It's a windows utility that allows you to use the scroll wheel on the window that the mouse is currently over, rather than whichever one is in focus (ala Linux). Very useful, especially for dual monitor people.

OMG thank you as a old mac user this is like a miracle

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Input Director
Input Director is a Windows application that lets you control multiple Windows systems using the keyboard/mouse attached to one computer. It is designed for folks who have two (or more) computers set up at home and find themselves regularly sliding from one system to the other (and wearing out the carpet in the process!). With Input Director, you can share a single keyboard/mouse across a set of systems. You switch which system receives the input either by hotkey or by moving the cursor so that it transitions from one screen to the other (in a very similar fashion to a multi-monitor setup). The idea being that you can position the monitors from two or more systems in a row and use a shared keyboard/mouse to control all of them.
I use it to control my desktop by using my netbook when sitting in bed etc.. Very useful.

jakershaker said:
Already mentioned a lot of times but:

PS3 Mediaserver

The BEST mediaserver and transcoder for PS3 and Xbox360. Everything just works and has support for all fileformats, none of the hassle of the other competitors. For PC/MAC/Linux. A must try for anyone streaming media to their console.

Thanks for sharing. This is just too awesome!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Seems like a good place to ask.....is there a Google Desktop gadget (or any kind of heads-up desktop app) that displays a simple, current bank balance and maybe even the last couple of transactions?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's already been talked about with all the Linux stuff being thrown around, and things like VirtualBox being must have apps for their app space. Yet nobody has linked it yet!

Ubuntu
Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE) - totally redesigned website too!
Wubi Installer aka install Ubuntu through Windows and let this program download and partition for you. Then if you want to get rid of said Ubuntu you've picked just removed it in Windows Add/Remove program files!

Any recommended program for monitoring all your system information (ie fans, hdd space, temps) I am looking for something similar to istat for windows.

Threi

notag
I recommend this site, it reviews LOADS of popular windows freeware (and they have been spot on in their reviews too)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

A new thread needs to be made IMO, new versions come out and what was the best a year or so ago isn't the best now, and vice versa

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The_Inquisitor said:
Any recommended program for monitoring all your system information (ie fans, hdd space, temps) I am looking for something similar to istat for windows.
Speccy

you can use Speedfan for fans I guess :/
Everest also has a utility, but Speccy is much cleaner

yoopoo

Banned
COMODO Programs Manager http://programs-manager.comodo.com/

It monitors the program's installation...meaning it can then remove anything the program has put on your system (files and reg entries). This is great as the standard uninstall for certain programs leave bunch or crap after an uninstall.

cpm_programs_uninstall.png

cpm_programs_uninstall3.png

cpm_programs_uninstall6.png

Threi

notag
for video players PotPlayer x64 has pretty much replaced MPC-HC x64 for me, it's by the dude that did KMPlayer, pretty much the same thing but more streamlined. Combine it with one of these skins and you have a nice minimalistic player that plays everything/customizable as hell.

rQuD9.jpg

latest x86 beta found HERE
latest x64 beta found HERE

Threi

notag
Just a heads up for people using MPC-HC, they finally put out a new stable build (after a year).

Download link is on the official website.

I moved on to potplayer but it's nice to see that it's still in development.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Threi said:
Just a heads up for people using MPC-HC, they finally put out a new stable build (after a year).

Download link is on the official website.

I moved on to potplayer but it's nice to see that it's still in development.
Cool.

Although I'm regretting going from vanilla MPC (from K-Lite Codec Pack) to MPC-HC (with CCCP). For some reason HD video plays like crap in it. I try messing with the settings and I can't get it to play right. I'm getting better HD playback in the YouTube flash player and WMP 11. I'd just use WMP 11, but I like the MPC interface so much better. I think I'm gonna just uninstall CCCP and go back to K-Lite Codec pack.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Maybe this has been answered already, but is there any decent free blu-ray playing software? I have Intervideo WinDVD Blu-Ray and it sucks shit.

luiztfc

Since I upgraded my Giantbomb account I can no longer download the videos I'm streaming or even the ones I press "download" with a download accelerator, only using the default browser download (which can be slow).

Do you guys know one (download accelerator app) that would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom