• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game tagline?

Magnus

dab56047-a12b-4a2a-a1a4-908734870124.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457867

I only just noticed the 'BetaShed' at the bottom. Absolutely amazing. Jarosh, right?

Cheska

Man it's pretty close between that Heavy Rain tagline and Pokemon but in the end I think it's going to be "Gotta Catch Them All". I could probably say that phrase to someone who hasn't played a videogame in their life and they would still be able to tell it's from Pokemon :p

I'm looking for the best game tagline of all time. It can be from ads or the cover/back cover.

My nomination is on Shadow of the Colossus magazine ads:

click for enlarged version

On the ones I've seen, there's some variation of:

"Some mountains are scaled. Others are slain."

There was also "How far would you go for love?" which was pretty cool, but not as central to the game.

In Turkish version of that ad on a mag, it said: ''Love can move mountains'' as far as i remember. And it might be my favourite.

Edit: No, no. I checked the ad you shared again, its not the same. It was a bit different than yours as far as i remember.

Paertan

Rune: Halls of Valhalla had some badass ones

Before guns, men had balls
Before camouflage, men didn't hide

Think there was one or two more.

All of my favorites have been said already:
How far would you go for love?
Some mountains are scaled. Others are slain.
Finish the fight.
I see it the same way as I do Breaking Bad. Here,
the player is playing to fight/kill the colossi because it's exciting/fun. Wander sets off to save Mono but when you're playing, it's just hunting creatures who would do you no harm if you didn't seek them out. Is it right to label evil acts as displays of love?
That's...that's kind of the whole point.
"How far" isn't just a question of self sacrifice, but also of how dirty you're willing to get your hands. "Fuck the gods, fuck the land, fuck the world. I just want my girlfriend back" is incredibly romantic.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Death smiles at us, lolis smile back.

I'm surprised that a game company actually used the term "lolis" on their game box. But then again it's Aksys the same company who releases the Agarest War games with innuendo all over the box.

My favorites have been mentioned in this thread already:

"Stand tall and shake the heavens" - Xenogears
"In the darkest hour, hope springs eternal" - Lunar EB
"Go to synaesthesia" - Rez

All of my favorites have been said already:
How far would you go for love?
Some mountains are scaled. Others are slain.
Finish the fight.That's...that's kind of the whole point.
"How far" isn't just a question of self sacrifice, but also of how dirty you're willing to get your hands. "Fuck the gods, fuck the land, fuck the world. I just want my girlfriend back" is incredibly romantic.

We have differing opinions of whay counts as romantic. Seeing the "how far" tagline makes the game's main goal seem like an admirable endeavor when it's not that straightforward. It makes me think of the US trailer for City of God that wasn't necessarily innacurate, but it painted the film in the wrong light and put a spin on what it was about instead of plainly showing what it is.

No matter how you interpret the game's story/gameplay, the "mountains" taglime is still appropriate

Top Bottom