• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best games that have a religious/biblical themed story

samoilaaa

Ive played devil may cry and darksiders series , i loved the gameplay but the most interesting part for me was the story about angels/demons and biblical lore , so im looking for some games that revolve around that kind of story

any suggestions ?

BlackTron

I don't know any that actually get into it in any meaningful way. Like I think of Castlevania and Vampire Survivors lol.

Not a game but now I'm thinking about Evangelion. Haven't watched it in 25 years either.

FeralEcho

And since you mentioned DMC... it's literally staring in your face dude...Bayonetta!
trailer miss GIF

Last edited:
It is not based on an existing religion, but Final Fantasy X has heavy handed religious themes with the party embarking on a pilgrimage. Same can be said for Tales of Symphonia.

Also, I forgot to mention Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, but it is less about religion and more about planetary rebirth.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
FFX and FFXIII have fantastic religious lore, but you have to really dig for it. FFXIII does a fair bit of "unreliable narrator" bias in the writing too which is interesting as you get stories and lore told from certain people's perspectives that may not necessarily be accurate or the whole story.

Pentiment is just straight religious history. You can constantly stop during the story and read text entries explaining the context.

People already mentioned Bayonetta, El Shaddai but I recommend both.

I'd recommend Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 (especially if you want a game like DMC / Darksiders this is the perfect choice). It's not a coincidence that it's a Spanish made game, like Blasphemous. Might be a generalization, but they sure seem to nail dark Christian imagery better than basically anyone.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Some others:

- A Plague Tale: Innocence is largely an attack on religious zealotry
- Death Stranding strikes me as a pretty clearly pro-life game, to the extent that's religious
- Doom (obviously)

Ogbert

Bioshock is the only video game, in my opinion, that has explored the role of religion in an interesting manner.

Other games, like Dark Souls, are flooded in religious iconography, but they have nothing to actually say on the subject.

Gp1

Xenogears

edit: Father Godwin quest in Kingdom come Deliverance is probably one of the best quests of the entire generation.

Last edited:

Holammer

Got yer best game right here!
The Binding of Isaac features lots of religious iconography and the title and story is in reference to Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac to God.

the-binding-of-isaac-dev-teases-new-project_e6t2.1200.jpg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I actually wanted to find a game like this ever since my exposure to His Dark Materials.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know a (modern-ish) game that is the closest to His Dark Materials and the ideas in that?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Lords of the Fallen reboot to add to the pile, but I think they could've made much better job with the setting and themes there - Blasphemous games are better.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Shin megami tensei, Castlevania the ps3 gen especially(classics are better but the ps3 gen are more focused on said theme), persona 3, diablo, darksiders, doom eternal, bioshock infinite.

Top Bottom